Vendors Launching Atom N450 Netbooks Soon

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the folks at DigiTimes, several PC vendors plan on launching Atom N450-based netbooks early next month.

Asustek Computer, Acer, Lenovo and even Micro-Star International (MSI), which originally planned to launch in December, are all set to launch their Atom N450-based netbooks on January 11, 2010, complying with their agreement with Intel to only launch the products after January 10.

Lenovo? Netbook? So we're talking a netbook capable of being beaten to shit?

N450 looks interesting with integrated video on chip, surprised its not 32nm though.

lenovo has had a netbook line for quite a while now.

Oh, well darn. I need to keep up on netbooks more it seems. I'm just waiting for the dual-core Atoms to hit before paying too much attention though.

N450 looks interesting with integrated video on chip, surprised its not 32nm though.

Why go 32nm now when they can do it in 6 months and make another barge full of cash with the "new and improved" version.

If you need more power than the atom, look at the Acer 1410 or other laptops using the Celeron SU2300 cpu. I bought the Acer for only $399, and it can play full 1080p video scaled down on the built in 11.6 inch screen, or externally through the HDMI port in full 1080p on a TV.

The SU2300 runs at 1.2 Ghz, but is dual core, and has about 2 1/2 times the cpu power of the 1.6Ghz atom. It can also run full 64 bit windows 7. The Acer comes with Windows 7 home premuim 64 bit as opposed to the limited 32 bit starter version on most atom netbooks. I get almost 4 hours battery life when playing video, and around 6 hours with web browsing and email. All in a 3.1 pound laptop.

video doesn't need to be 32nm to get decent power; and 45nm is much cheaper now. Just tossing the ancient 130nm process of the 945 is more than plenty. For normal power CPUs in full size laptops even legacy processes are acceptable 3W typical and 10W TDP is more than good enough vs a 35W TDP CPU and a 10W LCD. Meanwhile the mobile southbridges using a similar (if not even older) process have 1Wish TDPs. The new atom's will only take .5W max; dunno if they just clocked it slower or if it's been moved to a recentish process.

Back