Any larger than 23" non-tn 1920x1080 coming?

VistaVick

n00b
My westinghouse L2410NM is starting to fail, which is sad because its a non TN panel, the viewing angles are great compared to the TNs out there, and it was a great value because of this. Granted the monitor has some annoying quirks but I never have regretted buying it.

I would like to go to a 1920x1080 native even though I would be losing some screen height, mainly because my pc is connected to a 1080p projector and I am tired of constantly having to switch resolutions when both displays are on, and 1920x1080 just looks not so nice on the westinghouse, at least text and web browsing.

However I see almost all the 1080p lcd monitors out there are TN panels, and I really don't like to having to be in such a fixed location to have a good viewing angle...I am spoiled. Are the few units by nec, dell, lg etc at 23 inches the only exceptions? Are there larger non TNs at 1080p native coming soon as I didn't really want to downgrade in screen size.

Go with a Dell 2209WA eIPS standard gamut 1920 x 1080. Only 22 in, but big deal, the price is right too.

Dave

Ill consider it, just was hoping for some larger options after using bigger panels for this long.

Ill consider it, just was hoping for some larger options after using bigger panels for this long.

NEC EA231WMI, Viewsonic VP2365WB

Both are 23", eIPS and 1920x1080p resolution. Viewing angles are even better than the Westy was. Otherwise the 2209WA is a great deal if you have $220 or so burning a hole in your pocket.

I had an L2410NM and mine died after 4 months, so you are a bit luckier than I :)

Go with a Dell 2209WA eIPS standard gamut 1920 x 1080. Only 22 in, but big deal, the price is right too.

Dave
The 2209WA is 1680x1050, Source: Dell. The OP was looking for 1920x1080P due to that projector switching issue he mentioned.

Well I tried the HP 2709m most of this week. I figured if I was going to go TN, I might as well go big, and it was a great price.

I returned it today. My worst fears were realized, I just can't get used to the viewing angles on these things. I have to be sitting down in my chair just to read text sometimes, I need more flexibility in my workspace!

Thinking about the new nec 23 inch, despite it being smaller than my current monitor and quite a bit smaller than the hp I tried. Though my westy is behaving itself lately since the cold weather took hold. I think the power supply is now prone to overheating causing artifacts on the screen once and a while.

Last edited:
I'm looking hard for a reason to replace my L2410NM......But aside from the extreme heat it releases the monitor is perfect.

Component and composite and HDMI, and VGA and non TN 1920x1200......love this monitor have had it 2 years and only payed 200 bucks for it.

My luck will run out though and this monitor will die in which case I will probably be looking for a 3 X 1920x1080 because 1920x1200 is becoming more expensive everyday.

Plenty of models to choose from.

Since viewing angle is important to you, I would go to the store and see what you like or shop online by viewing angles and then check out reviews.

Viewing Angle CR 5:1
176° / 176°
Viewing angle CR 10:1
170° / 160°

Westinghouse is a Chi Mei panel, therefore I would suggest you look at new Chi Mei or Westinghouse models. The new models are in the 23.6" range and they will also have LED Backlighting in 1st quarter 2010.

Acer models for 23.6" also have 176 angles on some models. Remember, that Westinghouse is reporting 176/176 as CR 5:1 as well, not the 10:1 figure.

Last edited:
Thanks, that gives me some more possibilities, though in the same size range. I think the HP2475W is 16:10 though. I really don't care about the panel type as long as the viewing angles are decent. I'm intrigued by some of the tn panels you mentioned with better viewing angles than the hp I tried and most of the TNs I looked at, especially if it gives more option in the larger size range.

The problem is all the stores near me have horrible setups with their lcd monitors on display. And most of them seem to be the cheap tn panels on sale. It doesnt help that they split the signal 20 times and they have non native resolutions on them.

J+R in NYC has a highly rated TN panel on sale which has supposedly good viewing angles.

Not sure where you are located. S-MVA Chi Mei Optoelectronics is what you have now.

So if you are happy with those I would get another one from selecting amongst Chi Mei and Westinghouse models.

LG TN panels seem to be pretty good for many, but if you don't like this, then the next step up would be a Chi Mei or Westinghouse model.

Yah I was just looking at the westinghouse site, they don't seem to have any 1920 x 1080 monitors listed. And at least at chi mei usa site, they have only really large lcd monitors/tvs.

http://pconlineshop.co.nz/pcshop/product_info.php?products_id=299244

Not sure if it is in the USA yet. I suggest waiting till 1st quarter 2010 then since I presume Chi Mei will be selling those models with the LED Backlighting.

Samsungs are mostly TN sans the F2380 I believe. I dont know which if any have the PVA for 23" or higher now.

http://www.chimei.com.tw/en/model-detail.asp?Pid=103

Seems like viewing angles are listed as 170/160 but that Westinghouse was really a 176/176 and 170/160 and could be listed as both so when it came out you would have to see the monitor in person.

Last edited:
I can wait, hopefully the westy doesnt finish dying on me, seems to like the winter though. Not sure what to make about these led models, I have nothing against them, but it's not something I've spent a lot of time looking into.

Hanns·G HH-241HPB Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 15000:1(1000:1) Built in Speakers - Retail

Another one to check out if you wish.

The top bargain basement monitor right now IMHO is the LG 23" 1920x1080 on sale for $179 and as low as $169 usually. A non TN will set you back around $300 for the same size.

For the vast majority of people, the LG 23" would be more than adequate. The Hanns-G is usually good low cost monitors, and its a 23.6" vs the LG 23". Can't say how the quality is though since I haven't seen them in person.

While Westinghouse have good visual quality, supposedly there are a ton of issues with them breaking down. My Hitachi is over 10 years old and still going strong for a CRT and I expect the LCD I replace it with to do the same.

I should mention that I really don't care about input lag (which tns excel at), as I don't do a lot of gaming, and when I do I do it on the projector. Color accuracy, contrast, etc also not that important, as the only design work I do is for the web. Viewing angles however is a biggie with me.

I doubt anyone cares, but I still haven't replaced the monitor. Once and a while the screen flickers when its been on a while, but not as bad as it was when the weather was still warm. Better chance the power supply is going to die completely in the spring.

I still haven't really found what I'm looking for. I have gone to some stores to see if there any decent TN panels as far as viewing angles, and I found some of the smaller ones are better than the 27 inch hp I tried. But if I was going to go the tn route I did not want to go down in size from what I have now. If it was 16:10, maybe, but the 23 inch or so 16:9 just look so much smaller than my westy.

The NEC 23 inch e-ips probably is the best option now if the monitor dies soon, if they had one that was just a few inches bigger without costing 800+ I would have gotten it already. There just doesn't seem to be much in the 24 inch+ range as far as the lower end ips/mva panels on the horizon. There is the upcoming dell 27 inch and a similar nec one, but its not 1920 x 1080, and is quite a bit more money than I was looking to spend, considering I don't use photoshop that much. I don't really need the top of the line ips panel. MVA was made for me it seems, some larger e-ips ones would be nice too though.

Thats ok, there are a few mostly older models out there similiar to the westy, but I was hoping for a 1920x1080, because everytime I have my video card dual output to my pc monitor and my 1080p projector I have to switch display profiles.

If you want a larger, non-tn 1080p display, why don't you just look at LCD TV's instead? There are a decent amount of LCD TVs out there that are PVA or IPS, and 1080p, right around 32" or so. Would that be too large? I'm sure there are others that are smaller, but I haven't really looked into them all that much.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1486601&page=2

Here's a 1080p 32" IPS TV for under $500, for example. Something smaller, maybe 27" or so, shouldn't be too hard to find.

Plenty of models to choose from.

Since viewing angle is important to you, I would go to the store and see what you like or shop online by viewing angles and then check out reviews.

What kinda stores are you visiting that carry any non-TN panels? Genuine question, because everything I've seen at Best Buy and CompUSA here is TN, and regrettably that's about all there is down here (short of the Apple store, which isn't even a real Apple store, some 3rd party licensed re-seller that has modeled their store after Apple's).

As far as TN panels go... I've seen some w/pretty decent horizontal viewing angles, but vertical is still pretty horrible most of the time. If he's trying to read text on-screen while standing up he probably wouldn't be terribly satisfied w/most of 'em.

Thats ok, there are a few mostly older models out there similiar to the westy, but I was hoping for a 1920x1080, because everytime I have my video card dual output to my pc monitor and my 1080p projector I have to switch display profiles.
Gotcha.

Keep in mind that 1920x1200 HP i linked has 1:1 pixel mapping, which means you can set it to, and keep it at 1920x1080 and it would display correctly. The LP2465 is still available at different merchants by the way. Depending on what day you search you can sometimes find the refurbs for real cheap.

Or you can explore steal's advice, and look into 1080P TV sets. I recently purchased the Panasonic L32S1 and i'm immensely satisfied with it, the PQ on the IPS-alpha panel is simply gorgeous imho. There are some, what i consider minor drawbacks to using it as a monitor though, and i will admit t's not the right choice for everyone. But otherwise it's currently going for around $360ish shipped with discounts.

Edit: don't mind our out-of-the-box ideas, just figured you may want to explore more options :)

Fixed the bad link by the way.

Last edited:
Yes, I wasn't totally accurate, the westinghouse also has 1:1 mapping, when the projector turns on it does show windows at 1920 x 1080 with black bars, but text looks kind of ugly, so I don't want to use it for long periods of time.

That's funny because I have the same tv, I actually have a 32 inch panasonic 1080p hdtv nearby that I fooled around with to see if it would make an ok everyday monitor. I changed the dpi and various settings with the picture, it looks decent as far as text goes and the viewing angles are great, but I don't think I could sit far enough back from it in my work area to rival smaller monitors as far as the sharpness of text. But do you have it connected via hdmi? How far as you sitting back from it, if you have some suggestions with settings you are using I'll try it again.

Another unconventional option I am considering is an eyefinity setup, since I have a newer ati card with a display port and plenty of video outputs, and since I am finding it hard to find a larger monitor.

Yes, I wasn't totally accurate, the westinghouse also has 1:1 mapping, when the projector turns on it does show windows at 1920 x 1080 with black bars, but text looks kind of ugly, so I don't want to use it for long periods of time.

That's funny because I have the same tv, I actually have a 32 inch panasonic 1080p hdtv nearby that I fooled around with to see if it would make an ok everyday monitor. I changed the dpi and various settings with the picture, it looks decent as far as text goes and the viewing angles are great, but I don't think I could sit far enough back from it in my work area to rival smaller monitors as far as the sharpness of text. But do you have it connected via hdmi? How far as you sitting back from it, if you have some suggestions with settings you are using I'll try it again.

Another unconventional option I am considering is an eyefinity setup, since I have a newer ati card with a display port and plenty of video outputs, and since I am finding it hard to find a larger monitor.
I always save the DPI settings for last. I usually try to remove that as a troubleshooting step when i'm getting fonts to look razor sharp.

I have all TV processing options off/disabled, except for sharpness which i set to "9" (helps blurry red fonts). I'm using screen size "2" in the TV menu to fill the screen 1:1.

I'm running hdmi @ 1920x1080p @ 59hz. I needed 59hz to get 1:1 on my ATI card. I enabled "gpu scaling" in my ati catalyst control center and checked off the "centered timings" option. You can also try "maintain aspect ratio" because that seems to work also (not sure if you are using an ati card).

Takes a few setting adjustments to get everything just right.

I recommend a minimum 2ft seating distance, but 3ft is preferable.

I have an ati 5700 series card. I hooked it up again just now to the panasonic tv via a dvi cable from the video card to an hdmi port on the tv.

But I can not select 59 hz in the control center, or gpu scaling, centered timings etc, even after disabling my pc monitor display entirely and making the pany tv the primary display. It recognizes the the tv as a "panasonic-tv" in the control center.

I have to manually change the overscan for the image to fit the screen at 60 hz at 1900 x 1280.

I can try the hdmi port on the video card, if that would make any difference.

Having two displays setup is a PITA when experimenting with settings. The only way to know for sure would be to completely disconnect your original monitor temporarily while troubleshooting. HDMI to HDMI is not necessarily needed.

Are you using the ATI Catalyst control center, or the windows video control center?

If you don't have the ATI Catalyst control center installed, then i recommend heading over to them and downloading it. Lots of visual settings to play with, not totally intuitive but it should be easy enough to get used to.

When connecting it to the hdmi output of my ati card, it let me choose 59 hz and I did not have to adjust the overscan. I did not even disable the pc monitor on another dvi port, so for some reason the hdmi port made the difference.

I am pretty impressed with the image, it looks basically like a big monitor, with the text very readable.....although I can't really use it at a normal position to test for a full day or longer doing my work, where my pc is.

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions.

Ooh, I'm excited for that new 24" 16:10 HP. Hopefully it's not super expensive.

Back