EYEFINITY owners; Landscape or Portrait ?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
This is for real life Eyefinity owners, people that have sat in front of a eyefinity setup themselves. What do you like more Portrait mode or Landscape ?

I have gone back and forth several different times between both, and still 3 months later not really set on one over the other.

The Portrait mode with the three 24" together looks fucking awesome, the image quality even seems higher for some reason when in Portrait mode, like it is showing more pixels vs Landscape ? I still debate on whether or not to go back to Portrait, the immersion factor is totally there on Portrait over Landscape

But my main reason for going back to Landscape mode, was a few comments made on the [H], people said your not getting what you paid for in Portrait, it is still just a 16:10 Aspect Ratio, nothing different a single large monitor can't get you. But in Landscape you get to see 2/3rd's more game world. The whole point of Eyefinity was to see more gaming on screen, to open up the game world to a much wider field of view, and Portrait does NOT get you that.

Here are several pictures of my setup in both Portrait and Landscape mode

December-08_0830.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

262.jpg

Here is a good example. I tried to take this picture from the exact same spot in the game. It is from 3 different setups I could do with Eyefinity. 3 - 24" in Landscape...3 - 24" in Portrait...1-24" + 1-27" + 1-24" in Landscape, and this is the setup I have stuck with the longest so far.

3 - 24" in Landscape = this felt too narrow and skinny
IMG_0440.jpg

3 - 24" in Portrait = The highest and best immersion factor
IMG_0435.jpg

1-24" + 1-27" + 1-24" in Landscape = This gave the best wide viewing angle, but center display is nice and tall and not too narrow/skinny like if all three were 24"
IMG_0449.jpg

I have no real explanation why, but this setup just felt the most comfortable, it seems to to make to better having the sides be smaller and 24", and a larger 27" in the front/center.

IMG_0467.jpg

w.jpg

But my main reason for going back to Landscape mode, was a few comments made on the [H], people said your not getting what you paid for in Portrait, it is still just a 16:10 Aspect Ratio, nothing different a single large monitor can't get you. But in Landscape you get to see 2/3rd's more game world. The whole point of Eyefinity was to see more gaming on screen, to open up the game world to a much wider field of view, and Portrait does NOT get you that.

Just do what works best for you. I agree with the above. The whole point of getting Eyefinity, at least for myself, is to take advantage of the extra viewable gameworld that you get with an extreme 48:9 ratio. The side monitors in landscape also tend to work better in terms of filling your peripheral view with movement.

I believe you need to double check your math there.

(1200*3) / 1900 == ~1.89, not 1.6, so Eyefinity portrait of 24" would be ~19:10 AR, not 16:10, so you do still get a wider view than a single landscape monitor, its just not as drastic. Also, you get more pixels than any single large monitor can, so there would still be a reason to run 3x portrait monitors in eyefinity if you have 24" monitors.

(1200*3) / 1900 == ~1.89, not 1.6, so Eyefinity portrait of 24" would be ~19:10 AR, not 16:10, so you do still get a wider view than a single landscape monitor, its just not as drastic. Also, you get more pixels than any single large monitor can, so there would still be a reason to run 3x portrait monitors in eyefinity if you have 24" monitors.

Ok, that makes sense that 3600x1920res would be something like 19:10 Aspect Ratio, and not just 16:10 AR like a standard single 30" monitor would give you. I thought alot of [H] people were saying my 3 - 24" in Portrait were still just giving me a standard 16:10 view, and nothing more ?

But the weird thing with Portrait over Landscape is two things. Portrait feels way more immersive, and the IQ, image quality seems very vibrant and more colorful and crisper in portrait over landscape for some reason ?

Portrait with my 24s gives me a bit wider viewing, but it gives you more pixels vertically as well. Comes in handy in some games.

I like running my Eyefinity in Portrait mode, mainly because it fills my entire field of view giving me a much more immersive experience. If I played a lot of racing games, I would consider landscape. It makes a big difference there.

I too have been switching back and forth. Currently in landscape only b/c in some games (MW2 MP) I use just one monitor.

Hopefully I can get some monitor arms soon to make switching back and forth a breeze.

But the weird thing with Portrait over Landscape is two things. Portrait feels way more immersive, and the IQ, image quality seems very vibrant and more colorful and crisper in portrait over landscape for some reason ?

The side monitors are at a shallower viewing angle in portrait. Your main screen is PVA, so you get deep blacks and comparatively crushed shadows looking at it head on. Your two side screens are 2408WFPs yes? Those are also PVA panels, which wash out quickly at increasing angles. In landscape those two side monitors stretch way out to the side, so the image becomes paler the farther out you are looking.

My crap acer monitors with huge bezels dont' allow portrait unless I wanted to lean them against the wall lol. I'll stick with LS, which is plenty awesome for what I play.

WOW
NFS
Dirt2
DAO

Portrait is great for games where you stare at the center of the screen, FPSs for instance. I'm back playing WoW now and I have them in landscape. Looking around the screen at different UI mods makes the bezels a huge distraction. (3x24'')

So can you guys confirm that 3 - 24" in Portrait of 3600x1920res does give me a wider viewing angle than a standard single 16:10 Aspect Ratio monitor like a 30" ?

kllrnohj says it really gives me something like a 19:10 AR ? So that would be like a 18% bigger field of view over just a standard 24" or 27" single in Landscape ?

I would have to say, the Portrait mode does indeed look cooler, and gives a way better immersion factor. My major gripe with 5760x1600res in Landscape is just too wide, you can not see the whole game with that extreme width, you literally have to turn your head from left to right, and back again to actually see the whole game world that way, and that kills immersion obviously, where Portrait is just a solid wall of bathing you in LCD bliss game world.

Fuck, now I have to switch back again tonight to Portrait check it out for the 4th time :rolleyes:

So can you guys confirm that 3 - 24" in Portrait of 3600x1920res does give me a wider viewing angle than a standard single 16:10 Aspect Ratio monitor like a 30" ?

kllrnohj says it really gives me something like a 19:10 AR ? So that would be like a 18% bigger field of view over just a standard 24" or 27" single in Landscape ?

Yes, of course. Divide 3600 by 1920. You get 1.875. 16:10 is 1.6 (duh.) 3x that is 4.8, for landscape eyefinity. 16:9 is 1.777...

Feature films are usually 2.35. Of course you don't really want to watch a move in eyefinity, at least not without really thin-bezeled monitors.

I mainly play WoW, the most. What do you all think is cooler and most immersive ? Portrait or Landscape ?

So Portrait is giving me approx 18% more game world to see, compared to a standard 24", 27", or 30" single display. ANd Landscape mode is giving me approx 200% more game world to see, compared to a standard single monitor.

I usually have it portrait unless I'm playing dirt, then I turn it landscape.

I usually have it portrait unless I'm playing dirt, then I turn it landscape.

So to me the only real games that are best for Landscape are racing obviously. All other games give a much higher immersion factor in Portrait.

I mainly play WoW, the most. What do you all think is cooler and most immersive ? Portrait or Landscape ?

So Portrait is giving me approx 18% more game world to see, compared to a standard 24", 27", or 30" single display. ANd Landscape mode is giving me approx 200% more game world to see, compared to a standard single monitor.

Actually, technically they give you exactly the same amount of game world to see. It's just in portrait more of your pixels are vertical. If you enjoy portrait more, then use it. Don't worry about how it compares to a single 30" because 1920x1200x3 is always more pixels than a 30" display. 2560x1600= 4m pixels 1920x1200x3= 6.9m pixels. The 24"x3 Eyefinity setup is providing 72.5% more pixels than the single 30" display. How you orient it is just a matter of preference. there's no 'right' way to do it except what feels best for the individual.

So to me the only real games that are best for Landscape are racing obviously. All other games give a much higher immersion factor in Portrait.

I thought about that too, but wouldn't being able to see so much more additional game world come in really handy in multiplayer (or even SP) first person shooters? Looking at the TF2, COD5 and Operation Flashpoint pics that were posted in another thread, although landscape seemed less immersive I would think you'd have a huge advantage in being able to see people off to the sides (outside of the view of the center display). Wouldn't this mean that you could potentially spot enemies that would otherwise be out of your FOV if using only one monitor?

And for racing games, yeah obviously landscape is THE way to go.

Wait the minute, you can mix and match resolutions with eye infiity?

Tried it in 2 games.

COD MW2 - Landscape

Dawn of War 2 - Portrait (OMG THE UNITS ARE HUGE!)

Man, just having the most difficult time deciding which way to keep this setup ? LOL...just need to sh!t or get off the pot already

I mainly play WoW the most, if you couldn't tell :rolleyes: In Portrait games are MUCH more immersive, but with 24" wide screens it seems just a bit too narrow with the bezels right there, easily seen. I think Portrait would look just perfect on a 16:10 monitor, a 30" display x 3 in Portrait would be the end all #1 Eyefinity setup in mind, because at 1600 res wide each display would wide enough to still look normal, but the 1200 res width of 24", it might just be too skinny ?

Landscape looks awesome too, you actually see more game world for sure, but the immersion factor seems to go down compared to Portrait. And it is harder to see the whole picture in Landscape, you really need to turn your head, left to right, and back again to even see all 3 screens in your view.

For desktop use, and web viewing I think Portrait is way better too, you can have three webpages open easily, and see it very well. In Landscape three pages open, you still need to turn your head around to see them all, making it more difficult and not as easy to glance at all three monitors.

Not sure, just not 100% sure yet ? For WoW or any RPG, what do you [H]ard Gawds like the most ?

Personally, I would stick to portrait in WoW, though my preferance for any FPS is landscape.

Is there a user-made list of what games/engines break on eyefinity triple portrait mode?

Does eyefinity let you do a mix of landscape and portrait? Reason I ask is I want to do a center 26" in landscape with a 19" in portrait on each side.

Zorachus, I think you need to buy an ergotron stand for the 2709 so you can switch between portrait and landscape whenever you want.

Does eyefinity let you do a mix of landscape and portrait? Reason I ask is I want to do a center 26" in landscape with a 19" in portrait on each side.

No, though that may be possible in the future.

Just installed HalfLife 2 Episode 2, I know it is old, but never played it before, looks pretty good on my 27" Eyefinity's ?

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

So bottom line, which is the King ? Landscape or Portrait. I guess rate in game genres, which rotation wins ?

FPS = Landscape gives more view, but Portrait highest immersion, but landscape wins here in shooters.

RPG's / MMO's = This is a 50/50 toss up to me. In Portrait MMO's look way more immersive, like you can jump inside the game world. But Landscape gives a hell of alot more wider view of everything. No winner here

RTS = To be honest have not fired up any RTS since I got EYEFINITY, waiting for StarCraft2, Supreme Commander 2, and C+C4, all three due out this Spring :) SC2, and CC4 will be here in March, and SC2 in June

Racing games = Landscape hands down winner

Desktop/Windows use = Portrait FTW, much easier to see everything in Portrait, and can read full pages with less scrolling

I do prefer portrait over landscape for most uses. However, there are some major headaches with portrait worth mentioning:

1. While many games support landscape out of the box, some games do not work in portrait. This issue is demonstrated well in [H]'s Eyefinity video demo where Kyle can't adjust the L4D settings since the menu is off-screen. I know that you can get some games to run in portrait by modifying shortcut launch strings or .ini files, but that's an added hassle.

2. For those games where Eyeinfinity absolutely does not work, in landscape mode you can at least quickly switch back to a one monitor configuration and run the game. If you're running portrait, you need to pivot the monitor back to landscape -- something that is a complete PIA for some of us using larger monitors and triple stands.

I can only do landscape as my cheap LCD's don't do Portrait but i knew that when i got them as i picked them up for $297 shipped for all 3 which are 21.5" at 1920x1080.. now the reason i like landscape is how i set the middle LCD to make the bezels half there size and appear much smaller then they really our .. study how they are setting ..

2003_01010100.jpg

2003_01010069-1.jpg

2003_01010057-1.jpg

Last edited:
fanboy
Looking very good :) Your doing the opposite of me, I have the main/center display up front, and the two sides tucked behind the center, but I think your is better.

Will try that once I get my new triple monitor arm/stand later this week.

I can only do landscape as my cheap LCD's don't do Portrait but i knew that when i got them as i picked them up for $297 shipped for all 3 which are 21.5" at 1920x1080.. now the reason i like landscape is how i set the middle LCD to make the bezels half there size and appear much smaller then they really our .. study how they are setting ..

2003_01010100.jpg

2003_01010069-1.jpg

2003_01010057-1.jpg

yea thats exactly how i have it.

and i much prefer landscape

Back