New Intel Core Processors Take Center Stage at CES

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel President and CEO Paul Otellini will talk about predictions he made in his 2008 CES keynote, such as more powerful and personal computing devices, anytime/anywhere Internet connectivity, new user interfaces and richer, more immersive content. He'll also demonstrate how these trends are leading to amazing advances in high-def and 3-D content, smarter phones and TVs and other connected devices and machines that you normally don't associate with computers.

Intel started this runup at it's own IVCC (Intel Virtual Channel Conference) because LGA775 has hung on too long; it want to push LGA1156/1366 instead (and Core i3 and i5).

The problem isn't just Yorkfield or Wolfdale, but Yorkfield, Wolfdale, and all the LGA775 processors (including, if not especially, the Celeron DCs and their derivatives).

There are no 32nm dual-core CPUs in Intel's pipeline; in fact, there are no CPUs in Intel's mainstream lineup that are not quad-core at minimum. However, there's no real demand for those CPUs (heck, demand for *existing* quad-cores is limp), and Intel wants the channel to try and pump up demand (which is real tough to do, as there is no real application need for the vast majority of folks).

These certainly look like pipelined intel dual core CPUs. It looks like enough to cover everything in the lineup above the celeron.

Intel started this runup at it's own IVCC (Intel Virtual Channel Conference) because LGA775 has hung on too long; it want to push LGA1156/1366 instead (and Core i3 and i5).

The problem isn't just Yorkfield or Wolfdale, but Yorkfield, Wolfdale, and all the LGA775 processors (including, if not especially, the Celeron DCs and their derivatives).

There are no 32nm dual-core CPUs in Intel's pipeline; in fact, there are no CPUs in Intel's mainstream lineup that are not quad-core at minimum. However, there's no real demand for those CPUs (heck, demand for *existing* quad-cores is limp), and Intel wants the channel to try and pump up demand (which is real tough to do, as there is no real application need for the vast majority of folks).

Misinformed much?

This noise is all about pushing the low end dual core cpu's to 32nm because they can make shit tons of more money at that process level than at 45nm.

This article states Intel will be releasing details on 17 new CPU's at CES, including i3, i5 and i7:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2357256,00.asp

And all the noise will be about those self-same i3s, i5s and i7s (none of which are either dual-core or LGA775). Despite what you may be thinking, i3 is a quad-core (it's just that it is aimed specifically at those LGA1156 mobos with onboard graphics). There are some i5s aimed at the same platform that will also launch next month. However, as long as LGA775 hangs around, why would anyone want an i3?

Misinformed much?

This noise is all about pushing the low end dual core cpu's to 32nm because they can make shit tons of more money at that process level than at 45nm.

There will be new CPUs at 32nm, but they won't be dual-core (or even LGA775). If you had attended IVCC, you would have seen a sneak of Intel's plans for CES (which Intel discussed at length).

One thing that Intel has had waiting in the wings has been Sandy Bridge (the replacement in the wings for G4x/G3x, but based on LGA1156). However, LGA775 has to go first.

One thing that Intel has had waiting in the wings has been Sandy Bridge (the replacement in the wings for G4x/G3x, but based on LGA1156).

Been misinformed much? Sandybridge isn't a new chipset (although it'll probably require a successor to p55/x58). It's intel's next CPU architecture, and will be replacing the entire current line of i3/i5/i7/etc CPUs based on the Nehalem architecture.

And all the noise will be about those self-same i3s, i5s and i7s (none of which are either dual-core or LGA775). Despite what you may be thinking, i3 is a quad-core (it's just that it is aimed specifically at those LGA1156 mobos with onboard graphics). There are some i5s aimed at the same platform that will also launch next month. However, as long as LGA775 hangs around, why would anyone want an i3?

Dual core 32nm cpu's lauching at CES with only two cpu cores: Pentium G6950, Core i3-530, Core i3-540, Core i5-650, Core i5-660, Core i5-661, Core i5-670. They all have graphics on the cpu, not on the motherboard and will require all new motherboards to use those graphics cores.

Ill be glad when the whole (much) meme has run its course. Its fucking annoying and if someone ever talked to me in person like that they would get a finger in the forehead.

Right, so 'much' is considered meme now, or only when someone drops the "have you been" from the beginning of that sentence?

Back