IBM Reveals Five Innovations that Will Change Cities

HardOCP News

[H] News
Today, IBM unveiled a list of innovations that have the potential to change how people live, work and play in cities around the globe over the next five to ten years: Cities will have healthier immune systems. City buildings will sense and respond like living organisms. Cars and city buses will run on empty. Smarter systems will quench cities’ thirst for water and save energy. Cities will respond to a crisis -- even before receiving an emergency phone call

An estimated 60 million people are moving to cities and urban areas each year – more than one million every week. The fourth-annual “IBM Next 5 in 5” focuses on cities because the world is experiencing unprecedented urbanization. Last year, our planet reached an important milestone - for the first time in history, the majority of the world’s population resided in cities.

If any building I live in starts knowing where I'm at in said building, I'm moving to the country...

The optimist in me says "Way cool".

The cynicist in me says "After the initial coolness wears off, corrupt government will use these great innovations for evil".

Never saw no miracle of science --that couldn't go from a blessing to a curse. -Sting

Hrmmm a crime predictability engine, I think I saw a movie about that.... I love the Wind Turbines on top of building, creating energy and ridding us of pigeons...

Hrmmm a crime predictability engine, I think I saw a movie about that.... I love the Wind Turbines on top of building, creating energy and ridding us of pigeons...

Um flying cars of the future beware the wind farm atop Chicago!

wont help me one bit ... I can't do cities ... give me the wide open county and let my neighborhood stay on 1+ acre lots!

Um flying cars of the future beware the wind farm atop Chicago!

lol Chicago has bigger problems right now with towers. Did you catch the news a couple days ago after a second apartment fire cause the city to evaluate the buildings' fire code and they found out that what? 80%? of buildings in Chicago failed fire inspections but were not fined nor told to comply?

I'd rather they fix that first before putting up wind farms. We have Lake Michigan anyways. Off shore wind farm would be ideal for Chicago.

Yeah, Minority Report came to my mind as a laughed at that too.

So everyone will have electric cars with untold amounts of battery acid being produced and disposed of. All while the electrical grid gets slammed by everyone plugging in their cars when they get home from work. This will mean lots more coal burning power plants because nobody wants to build nuclear.

I haven't watched the video because I don't have time yet and maybe I'm just gone from being happy to a jerk but! In the video's title frame, the building in the middle of the bus has solar panels on top pointed at a taller building to its right that has an even taller building next to it. I would think that it is not well placed.

Five years.. Except that knowing it's deployed by a city means that it'll take at least ten extra years. And then another five to work out all of the kinks.

Well I've got bad news for IBM...New York City's broke so they won't be doing any of this stuff anytime soon. They've got to many welfare checks to worry about to start putting windmills on top of buildings to power people's little electric cars.

Sounds like a crappy marketing ploy to me...with Minority Report influence

wont help me one bit ... I can't do cities ... give me the wide open county and let my neighborhood stay on 1+ acre lots!

amen. im moving to a place where the nearest neighbor is a minimum of 1/4 mile away.

I wonder how far from this they are-
A Disney film from the 50's that was pretty close,
I am still waiting on the punch-card system for programming my car. :D
watch

I wonder how far from this they are-
A Disney film from the 50's that was pretty close,
I am still waiting on the punch-card system for programming my car. :D
watch

I'm thinking along the lines of Demolition Man - but without releasing Simon Phoenix lo

So everyone will have electric cars with untold amounts of battery acid being produced and disposed of. All while the electrical grid gets slammed by everyone plugging in their cars when they get home from work. This will mean lots more coal burning power plants because nobody wants to build nuclear.

Finally someone thinks about what happens after the fact when everything is electric. It's still the same old ****. Just a different way about doing it.

Finally someone thinks about what happens after the fact when everything is electric. It's still the same old ****. Just a different way about doing it.

But their vegan eco hippy ass, isn't directly spewing the emissions, it's the evil electric company that does it and they have no choice but to use that company until the eco friendly one shows up in town.

This video scared me, how horrible this plan could turn out to be. This would make it very easy to control people. I am glad to see the people posting on this board have caught onto this, and still have common sense. We cannot let this kind of thing happen. It would destroy our freedom completely.

Glad I already live in a small town, and a little ways outside of city limits at that. I feel much safer than those that live in a large city.

"All in the name of security. This is disgusting." --Agreed, completely.

Those of you that talked about the electricity problems, you are right. Completely right. We should be using hemp to build, and run our cars. Hemp has over 25,000 uses, and can do so much; better than anything we use now.

Look into hemp, the new (or old) sustainable resource for the future of the planet.

honestly everything they mention is exactly what I would expect from an 8th grade science! report on 'the future'. of course 4 out of the 5 also require a big brotheresque level of surveillance

The faster this shit becomes a reality, the faster people will start to actually give a shit about their freedoms and the like.

I say make this a reality as soon as possible!

The faster this shit becomes a reality, the faster people will start to actually give a shit about their freedoms and the like.

I say make this a reality as soon as possible!
Once again, the cynic in me says that the vast majority of people out there don't really know what true freedom is, and won't care as long as they are well-fed and their episode of "Survivor" airs on time.

To give a care about freedoms, you not only have to know what freedom truly is, but once you do, what freedom embodies has to matter to you. A lot of people give lip service to being free, but they're still "trapped in the Matrix", so to speak.

This video scared me, how horrible this plan could turn out to be. This would make it very easy to control people. I am glad to see the people posting on this board have caught onto this, and still have common sense. We cannot let this kind of thing happen. It would destroy our freedom completely.

Glad I already live in a small town, and a little ways outside of city limits at that. I feel much safer than those that live in a large city.

"All in the name of security. This is disgusting." --Agreed, completely.

Those of you that talked about the electricity problems, you are right. Completely right. We should be using hemp to build, and run our cars. Hemp has over 25,000 uses, and can do so much; better than anything we use now.

Look into hemp, the new (or old) sustainable resource for the future of the planet.

Hemp! I like that idea.

Back