Opinions on Upgrading my Satelite A25-S207

Mandroid

Weaksauce
I'm thinking about Upgrading my Satelite A25-S207,

maybe I can get a few more years out of it and wait till the I-5 and I-7's, LCD backlite, blue ray, and cell modem, are relitively commonplace, I bought it about 8 years ago..

Specs are P4 2.66, 40g HD 4200rpm, 512 pc2100, WiFi- b, plus the regular stuff..

I have Win XP Pro sp3 installed, and also an updated bios..

It still works great, just getting a little slow, and definitely needs a bigger hard drive..

On the memory I'm thinking about installing 1 gig, PC2700 or PC3200 instead of the standard PC2100, still have to research the compatability..
I believe the most it will support is 1 gig..

I also want to upgrade the Harddrive, does anyone know the size limit, right now it only has a 40 gig in it, would like to go to at least 100 gig.. I don't care if it doesn't recognize all of it, but don't want to buy a 160 and only have it recognize 80..

and the specs call for a ATA-5, but there are plenty of ATA-6 out there, are they backwards compatible..

wondering if it's worth putting the money into such an old Laptop, and if the upgrades would make that much of a difference, Should cost about 150$

or should I just chuck it and buy a new 1..

TIA

kinda pissed at myself, Toshiba would have given me 200$ for it untill about 2 or 3 months ago, was so busy watching for a deal on a new 1, I let it slip away, now they'll only give me 87$.

Last edited:
try putting it on craigslist. What's the overall condition? If good then you can probably get [$87] or more and possibly help someone out looking for a cheap laptop. There's no point in spending $150 on super old technology cuz at the end of the day its still super old technology. Ironically I have a similar spec'd toshiba laptop [s255 model i think] that I have setup as basic internet station that I am thinking of craigslisting. except mine holds no charge and has two damaged USB ports. It has no internal wifi [have a pc card for that] and weighs like ten pounds, at least. I'd be super glad if someone gave me $50 for it :)

I agree on old technology alway's being old, but money's tight right now and I can't justify putting 500 or more on a new machine, and now that I can't get much money for it, I'll probably keep it for a computer in my garage, it's worth more to me than 87$, specially when everything still works on this machine, and I have other fairly modern home based pc's to use..

I guess I'm asking if in the real world, would boosting the ram to 1024 and upgrading the hard drive make that much of a difference,

I know that is actually doubling the ram, but by present standards 1 gig of ram is considered minimal,

and the new harddrive would be slightly faster, 4200rpm vs 5200rpm, and probably have better seek times,

just wondering if the difference would be noticable or would it be the same old puter with 150 bucks of new parts in it..

I've never weighed it, but mine weighs alot too, LOL

thanks for the reply

what do you use the computer for? honestly for my parents that toshiba chugs along just fine and it has 512mb ram and a 60 gig hard drive. All they use it for is internet [checking email] and viewing pictures, word documents, and excel files [my dads business files]. If I come across someone selling laptop DDR ram for like $20 for a gig, I think it would be worth it.

Where are you pricing your hard drive/RAM from? $150 seems a lot, I bet if you search enough you could fulfill both parts for under $100 easily.

It's not that I have anything very intensive running on it, If I'm going to do any of that, I'll use 1 of my main Puters,

but I just picked up a GPS reciever for it, to use with Microsoft streets & Trips, works great, I've been riding around using the GPS to check my speedometer,

and I want to put my entire music collection on it for a music source in my garage, I used to run it by streaming from my main Puter, but don't see any reason to be constantly accesing that Hard Drive,

I also have a set of Alesis 320 USB speakers in the garage, that work great and they don't need a soundcard, there a direct USB digital feed, with a DAC in the speaker,

as far as the cost of memory, from what I've been seeing the Toshiba is very specific when it comes to compatability, and that price is if I have to get the recomended memory, but I'm still working on that one.. not going to do me any good if I save money on memory, and it doesn't end up working, if anyone has any opinions on that, I'm all Ears,,

Back