Windows 7 Tip of the Day: God Mode

HardOCP News

[H] News
Want a good way to access all the control panel options in Windows 7 in one easy location? Simply make a folder on your desktop and rename it GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} and you are all set. This handy tip was brought to you by [H] reader Edward Cabarles. Here is what your folder should look like after you rename it.

FYI: This trick does NOT work on Windows Vista

Last edited:
Naturally, I tried this in Vista and it causes explorer to crash over and over when it tries to load the folder to display. Had to delete it from the command prompt.

Soooo, don't try it in Vista. :)

Very neat and thanks Ed! BTW, the "GodMode" part can be anything. For instance I tried "SuperControl." before the GUID and it works.

Naturally, I tried this in Vista and it causes explorer to crash over and over when it tries to load the folder to display. Had to delete it from the command prompt.

Yeah, my "success" story in Vista should have been included in the OP. I had to do the same and there were dozens of new files on my desktop afterwards :rolleyes:

That solves my largest complaint about windows 7. Now if only they would make networking less of a pain in the ass to work with.

Out of all the billions of Windows 7 tips & tricks pages out there, finally one that means something.

Very, very cool :)

I just owned myself. My main rig is Windows 7, but I am working on a Vista x64 machine for the past few days as if it was my main computer. Now windows explorer keeps restarting lol -.-.

I dunno. I find that most items that I can't locate can be found simply by typing what I'm looking for in the search box. The search in 7 is pretty powerful.

That solves my largest complaint about windows 7. Now if only they would make networking less of a pain in the ass to work with.

For a mixed OS environment I can see your point but networking with and between Windows 7 machines is as easy as it gets.

Need more info, how do I do this, I am not fimilure with the command prompt as far as folder/file managment.

can i just type in iddqd?

IDDQD.jpg

Back