foxtrotniner's Bigadv backup script

fx9

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've been having a lot of issues lately with my bigadv folding cause of power outages in florida killing my bigadv units and stuff so I wrote my own backup script to be able to resume from the last checkpoint. Since I do this at work everyday it was a simple script, unlike the Evga one, mine does not need you to change the windows registry. KISS method, keep it simple stoopid.

Props to Cypher- for the file hosting

Installation:
In your VM type the following commands:
(If you are currently folding a bigadv unit, you do not have to stop it to install the backup script, hold Alt and press F2, to put it to the background, it will not affect your folding. login do the install below, then hit Alt and F1 to go back to your folding screen)
(If you are upgrading to the 1.1 version follow the same instructions as below but no need to run the ./setup.sh script, as you already have it installed)

cd
wget http://xploited1.com/backup_v1.1.tgz
mkdir /usr/local/fah/backup
cd /usr/local/fah/backup
tar xvzf /usr/local/fah/backup_v1.1.tgz
./setup.sh

Now you are all set, every hour on the hour the backup of your current work unit will show up in /usr/local/fah/backup, looks something like 2010-01-10-2300.tgz corresponding to the date and time it was created. It will auto delete any backups over 12 hours old, so no worries about cleanup.

Restoring your backup:

cd /usr/local/fah/backup
ls (find the backup you want to go back to)
./restore.sh filename.tgz

Now there is a quirk, sometimes a backup will give you an error, if this happens try an older backup.

I hope this helps some people having some power issues or crashing issues from bigadv folding like me.

[Begin Rant]
Last month I've lost couple bigadv wu's at 88% 75% and 43%, wasted cpu cycles, due to an unstable overclock i7@4ghz 20x200
Also lost a couple when my power breaker crapped out on me during christmas eve.
This week lost one at 92% due to power company couldn't keep up with power demands of people turning on the heat. yea I was pissed :(
[/End Rant]

Comments are welcome, please report any bugs to me, pm me, post on this thread or come talk to me on the Hardocp channel on irc.dp.cx #hardocp. Thanks

Known Issues at the moment:
you might see "cannot create /usr/local/fah/backup because it exists", ignore it, doesn't affect anything. Fixed in v1.1

No known issues at the moment :)

Fold on my [H]ard Brethren!

Last edited:
[Begin Rant]
Last month I've lost couple bigadv wu's at 88% 75% and 43%, wasted cpu cycles, due to an unstable overclock i7@4ghz 20x200
Also lost a couple when my power breaker crapped out on me during christmas eve.
This week lost one at 92% due to power company couldn't keep up with power demands of people turning on the heat. yea I was pissed :(
[/End Rant]
I know where you're coming from. I lost one unit at 100%. There was an odd error I never seen come up right before the client attempted to upload results, and then the client just DL a fresh new unit instead of sending. I believe it may have had something to do with an old drive I was using which I replaced soon after. I also had several spontaneous system restarts but fortunately these units were salvaged. I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thanks a bunch! :cool:

Thats awesome

Will try it out and let you know if i have any issues :)

That's great dude. I realize the impetus for this was your own power issues, but a valiant effort non the less for the rest of us.
thumbsup.gif

Very nice bro. This affect pwerformance at all?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Linked this over to the -bigadv thread as well! :)

Gonna have to give this a try as well. I have lost 3 bigadv WUs over the last 2 weeks. Have moved of my i7s back over to just 1920WUs for the meantime.

I just came home to a BSOD (I'm really starting to hate bigadv...) and had to use this for the first time. Worked like a charm. :D

Thanks for letting me be the guinea pig.

rant
i cant believe that running linx for 40 minutes and prime95 for 4 hours isnt enough of a stability check for bigadv. I guess 1.23125 vcore is to low for 3.8ghz. Oh well. Bumped her up a little bit more and hopefully she'll be ok.
/rant

rant
i cant believe that running linx for 40 minutes and prime95 for 4 hours isnt enough of a stability check for bigadv. I guess 1.23125 vcore is to low for 3.8ghz. Oh well. Bumped her up a little bit more and hopefully she'll be ok.
/rant
It has been noted over the years that there really isn't a reliable test one can run to determine OC stability with folding clients. Bigadv probably raised the bar. The only way to determine true stability with folding is, well, to fold.

I just came home to a BSOD (I'm really starting to hate bigadv...) and had to use this for the first time. Worked like a charm. :D

Thanks for letting me be the guinea pig.

ah glad to hear it worked, its good to know its making a difference in helping out the community :p

Very nice bro. This affect pwerformance at all?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

slightly, tack on 2 minutes per backup, but its worth it for me. I've heard horror stories of people losing their bigadv wu's at 100% and 99%. :eek: scary....

I cant believe that running linx for 40 minutes and prime95 for 4 hours isnt enough of a stability check for bigadv. I guess 1.23125 vcore is to low for 3.8ghz. Oh well. Bumped her up a little bit more and hopefully she'll be ok.

Whats your overclock ??

I think Bigadv stresses the memory sub-system a lot more than Prime95.
With prime your not shifting data around in ~4.5Gb of memory.
My system was not bigadv stable at 3.8Ghz, 18x200, but it passed all other stress tests.
But it is bigadv stable at 3.9Ghz, 21x185, simply becuase I'm running my memory slightly slower, 1480 Mhz vs 1600 Mhz.
All other settings are identical, voltages, memory timings, etc, etc.
So if possible, I'd go for the same speed or faster by useing the 21 multi and slowing the memory down a tad.

Luck .......... :D

Backup script version updated to v1.1, fixed some annoying bugs. If you are upgrading from v1.0, just follow the same instructions, no need to run the ./setup.sh script as its already installed.

I highly recommend upgrading to the new 1.1 version as I've added a file that might not have included in the archives.

Last edited:
20x191 running at 1.24375 vcore now. Temps are peaking at 72c which is nice. I kinda wish I had gotten an h50 now though. Oh well.

If what I found is right there is no way to have 21x on evga's boards without turbo which severely pisses me off.

I don't know whats going on with this rig really. I woke up this morning to nice 39 minutes per frame on my bigadv. The computer should have been idle all night except irc and my 2 gpu clients running. I have no idea why the time was so long. I just left and came back two hours later and now its down to 35:06. Unless it because I bumped up my vcore I have no idea what changed.

Anyway I don't want to hijack this thread so Ill stop there. Thanks again foxtrotniner for the script.

Would having the client installed on a fast HD make a significant difference in backup performance?

I have yet to try this, since I don't have a SSD drive, be my guest Apollo :D but my guess would be...significantly...

Just lost another WU at 98%...

I didn't install the backup script yet because I was waiting for the WU to complete, and regretting it now. The file doesn't seem to be on the host. I received a 404 error...

I received a 404 error...
Check the op and try again? I just got it fine. I know he released a new version some time last night and edited his post.

Check the op and try again? I just got it fine. I know he released a new version some time last night and edited his post.
I connect but cannot find the file from the system with failed WU. I'll try from another VM or other system.

I connect but cannot find the file from the system with failed WU. I'll try from another VM or other system.
LMK if you still have problems, I can email it to ya.

LMK if you still have problems, I can email it to ya.
Thanks. Well, none of the Linux installations I tried so far can find the file through the terminal using wget, but if I click on the link directly within Windows there's no problem. :confused:

Thanks. Well, none of the Linux installations I tried so far can find the file through the terminal using wget, but if I click on the link directly within Windows there's no problem. :confused:
That's effin odd dude:

Code:
tobit@ganymede ~ $ wget http://xploited1.com/backup_v1.1.tgz
--2010-01-13 03:41:04--  http://xploited1.com/backup_v1.1.tgz
Resolving xploited1.com... 208.113.238.52
Connecting to xploited1.com|208.113.238.52|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 689 [text/plain]
Saving to: `backup_v1.1.tgz'

100%[======================================>] 689         --.-K/s   in 0.001s

2010-01-13 03:41:05 (1008 KB/s) - `backup_v1.1.tgz' saved [689/689]

That's effin odd dude...
Yes, but what else can I do? I consistently receive a 404 error every time I attempt to access the file. Finding and connecting to the host is no problem. I figure it must be a router related issue but that guess is just a shot in the dark. :(

Apollo, shit.. I'm sorry. Try one more time, I fawked up.

Apollo, shit.. I'm sorry. Try one more time, I fawked up.
I still get the same 404. What was the problem? I think I have some kind of FW issue is what I'm guessing. If the EVGA VM had a GUI I could have tried it that way. Now, what to do about this system....

Just lost another WU at 98%...

I didn't install the backup script yet because I was waiting for the WU to complete, and regretting it now. The file doesn't seem to be on the host. I received a 404 error...

um, Apollo, that's why I had this message in red above

(If you are currently folding a bigadv unit, you do not have to stop it to install the backup script, hold Alt and press F2, to put it to the background, it will not affect your folding. login do the install below, then hit Alt and F1 to go back to your folding screen)

um, Apollo, that's why I had this message in red above
I know, I saw the message but decided to tempt fate and wait, which was a bad decision...

Would you happen to know if there's another way I can DL the file? I can't seem to access it without a GUI. If there is a GUI, it's not a problem to DL but the system that's proving to give me the most difficulty does not have a GUI since it's utilizing the EVGA VM.

On the systems where I can DL the file, I have another issue. I tried to install the script on another machine but I kept receiving a permission denied error whenever I tried to create the directory specified in your post. I guess I need to brush up on my Linux commands.

You will need root to install these scripts into /usr/local/fah, in the bigadv setup thread by Freaky, user fah already has admin privileges.

If you installed, say ubuntu linux along with the F@H package on the sanford site, it will be a different set of instructions, with sudo tacked onto the commands to operate in a different directory.

You will need root to install these scripts into /usr/local/fah, in the bigadv setup thread by Freaky, user fah already has admin privileges.

If you installed, say ubuntu linux along with the F@H package on the sanford site, it will be a different set of instructions, with sudo tacked onto the commands to operate in a different directory.
Yes, my installations were created prior to the -bigadv sticky thread using an Ubuntu-based distro except for that one EVGA VM currently giving me issues.

Well..I just used this to recover a BIGADV VM because of a power outage...the BIGADV is 33% complete.

THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. You are a GOD, or at least a deity-in-training. =)

Last edited:
Well..I just used this to recover a BIGADV VM because of a power outage...the BIGADV is 33% complete.

THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. You are a GOD, or at least a deity-in-training. =)

Glad the script helped, I've gotten my share of power outages before I wrote this script. Cheers! :D

Back