HTPC Basic Parts List

valve1138

[H]F Junkie
Did one last year, time for another.

This is the basic set of parts you need for a good HD capable HTPC. Add a case, OS, optical drive, hard drive, heatsink/fan, tuner etc, of your choice.

Motherboard - ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (Does everything but TrueHD and DTS-HD)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131318

Processor - AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103714

Memory - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

A good case choice is the Antec NS2480, comes with a power supply, it's small, has good cooling.

Also, get yourself CoreAVC and use the Windows 7 decoder tweaker so the OS will use CoreAVC for some CUDA lovin.

Last edited:
After researching a bit this is pretty much exactly what I came up with except that I'm using a Silverstone GD04 case. I also added a Lite-On Blu-Ray drive, WD Green 1.5TB and I'm going to try stock cooling for a bit to see how that goes. A tuner will be next but I'm going to wait to see what happens here. I haven't researched a lot yet but it appears that CES stirred this market up a bit. I'll wait for the dust to settle.

At this point in time these are probably the exact AMD-based parts i would buy, especially if i were looking for "bang for the buck".

Thanks for posting an easy reference to link, should help the noobs out for the next few months at least.

At this point in time these are probably the exact AMD-based parts i would buy, especially if i were looking for "bang for the buck".

Thanks for posting an easy reference to link, should help the noobs out for the next few months at least.

If they could be bothered to look at the stickies. I had the old one I did referenced in the "Stuff" sticky.

Maybe this one will be used more.

would this combo be better than a E6400 and a nVidia 9300 combo? Or about the same?

Is this setup capable of rendering 1080p content using the CPU alone, or is it necessary to pass some of the load off to the GPU with hardware acceleration? In other words, would a media player like VLC be sufficient, or is proper codecs and setup of these a necessity?

Also, what constitutes a "Regor" processor? I mean, the only AMD Athlon II X2 240 processor on this Danish database website is this one. Is this the same processor, or does the "Regor" codename mean something special?

the x2 240 plays most any 1080 fine afaik. i would say going with 4gb of ram will actually be better then an spending the money on intel parts, but you dont really need either.

Is this setup capable of rendering 1080p content using the CPU alone, or is it necessary to pass some of the load off to the GPU with hardware acceleration? In other words, would a media player like VLC be sufficient, or is proper codecs and setup of these a necessity?

Also, what constitutes a "Regor" processor? I mean, the only AMD Athlon II X2 240 processor on this Danish database website is this one. Is this the same processor, or does the "Regor" codename mean something special?

Nope, the above setup would probably not be enough for 1080P content using the CPU alone. It is necessary to pass some of the load off to the GPU with hardware acceleration. Proper codecs and setup would be necessary.

As for what is a Regor CPU, Regor refers to the codename of the CPU core. The X2 250, X2 245, and X2 240 are based on the Regor core and thus are Regor CPUs.

Aw, hamburgers :( Thanks for the reply, though!

Would it be possible to make a build that handles 1080p content on the CPU alone, and still keep the power consumption relatively low, or is hardware acceleration something you just can't avoid when it comes to quiet, cool and compact small-form-factor HTPCs? My concern is possibly moot, but surely other limitations and problems arise when hardware acceleration is required - well, apart from not being able to use VLC?

And in case you're wondering why I'm so hung up on VLC, one of the main reasons is that I can easily control the audio delay. Too often, audio and video aren't in sync with my setup (P5Q-E, Q9450, 4 GB DDR2-800, ATI HD4850, Windows 7 MC - also my main workstation/gaming rig), and I can't seem to find a way to adjust it on-the-fly with W7MC. I am, however, running a 10 meter DVI cable, and two accompanying 10 meter phono-cables from my PC to my TV, so that could have something to do with it, I guess.

Would it be possible to make a build that handles 1080p content on the CPU alone, and still keep the power consumption relatively low, or is hardware acceleration something you just can't avoid when it comes to quiet, cool and compact small-form-factor HTPCs? My concern is possibly moot, but surely other limitations and problems arise when hardware acceleration is required - well, apart from not being able to use VLC?
Not really. If you want quiet, cool, and compact, hardware acceleration is your best bet for a cost-effective setup.

ooh thanks for this, was just planning on putting together a new htpc. The old one just cant handle 1080p content :(

I know I could probably find the answer elsewhere, but I do think the question is very relevant to the thread, so I'd like to know the differences between the 240, 240e and 245 Regor processors. From what I can tell, the main difference between 240 and 240e is that 240e is 45W, and both 240 and 245 are 65W.

Will the 240e be crippled in any way compared to the other processors, or does the lower wattage not have any downsides? I assume it will require less intensive cooling and possibly allow for a much quieter system?

All e processors in my opionion are crippled. I mean they get their e rating by being factory underclocked and undervolted higher speed chips. There is nothing at all special about these that makes them more energy efficient. The user if they want can do the same with software with any chip. On top of that their energy efficiency is not totally clear. I mean since they are running at a slower speed than they are capable of it takes longer to get to the much lower powered idle state thus negating some of the energy efficiency.

This is a very good setup of core components. To reiterate for noobs - No add on graphics cards are needed, TV tuner is needed (only) if you plan to record TV, stock cooling will be sufficient

I would also recommend that for an HDD, you (you being whomever is looking at this for build ideas) get the smallest capacity drive you can find to be used as an OS drive only. SSDs are on option because of their silent low power nature. Added that as an OS drive, SSDs are perfect for the role. However at this point in time they are entirely too expensive for a HTPC build, since speed is not a concern. So in sort, the smallest, cheapest HDD you can find to be used as OS only. If you need a storage drive, then you get the largest capacity drive you can afford, to be used for storage only.

2gb of RAM is plenty for most HTPCs. If you are building an HTPC for more complex HTPC related tasks, then HDD speed will become a factor before RAM will. Ripping/ encoding, recording multiple TV shows at the same time, and hosting streams of media to other computers (common tasks done by HTPCs) will require faster HDD read/ writes before it will require more RAM.

I use the NS2480 and can comment on its clean look (not too 'PC' looking, and more like a component of a stereo system) and its silence. I use stock cooling (Intel CPU), and this case comes with two fans. They are very quiet, and efficient. I even have one fan unplugged now only because my setup with no components (motherboard does everything), it is not needed.

This is pretty much my exact build (see sig), but I have to say, I don't think it is the best way to go right now.

The 8200 board was the best option because it had the graphics power to run HD, while still being able to output 7.1 audio and the video over one hdmi cable. That's really nice for a htpc to have.

There is, however, a new player in town. The ATI 5450 does Dolby TrueHD and DTS over the hdmi cable. It is cheap ~$50, and fanless. It's worth going down to a cheaper motherboard, and popping this bad boy in. It will allow you to enjoy better sound, and will be more future proof.

That being said, if you can't spare the extra $30 (cost of 5450 minus MB savings), the OP's rig is a good way to go.

i think right now, the i3 is the best htpc cpu. unless you plan to play the latest games, then the i5 or i7 of course.

but for amd, i still wish i went with the amd 600e x4 cpu. low power, play any hd video on cpu alone, and have encoding ability for your bluray rips.

i know but some people game, like me... youre right though, the i5 still games with anything

the i3 is fast fast fast for what it is. overclock it and youre looking at some pretty sic performance. example, on the same system, an e5200 at 3.7ghz can run gta4 at 720 with choppiness. swap that out for a new mobo and i3 at 4ghz, and i can play 1080p vsyncd to 60fps, butter smooth. media center gui also works much faster... all things i wasnt expecting but the more i read the more common i see the results. its not about the benchmarks with the i3, those only look marginally better. real world, hang on!

For an HTPC I would have recommended the OP's setup in the past but now i'd go for the Intel Clarkdale and H55/H57 board if I were building a system today. All integrated. Intel i3 or i5 plenty for HD but it has the added advantage of being able to bitstream the HD audio formats. Something the 8200 board can't do. Sure you could add in a ATI 5000 series card(I had to on my setup) but for integrated that's what i'd get.

The problem with the 5450 is vector adaptive deinterlacing(should you care about deinterlacing). You can have smooth video playback(which prevents dropped frames) and vector adaptive deinterlacing enabled at the same time. The card can't handle it. The 5570 however can.

For an HTPC I would have recommended the OP's setup in the past but now i'd go for the Intel Clarkdale and H55/H57 board if I were building a system today. All integrated. Intel i3 or i5 plenty for HD but it has the added advantage of being able to bitstream the HD audio formats. Something the 8200 board can't do. Sure you could add in a ATI 5000 series card(I had to on my setup) but for integrated that's what i'd get.

The problem with the 5450 is vector adaptive deinterlacing(should you care about deinterlacing). You can have smooth video playback(which prevents dropped frames) and vector adaptive deinterlacing enabled at the same time. The card can't handle it. The 5570 however can.

What are you watching? Pretty much everything is progressive these days, leaving deinterlacing features only useful for some very few and very specific cases.

why i3? i7 would be an awful htpc choice, to hot and hungry.

low power, cost and integrated video (and audio??) on the chip for even more electrical frugality.

And my HTPC is a Q9450 on x48 Rampage Formula + 280 GTX (well, 5770 now). Oh, and both overclocked with a healthy dosage of voltage for the Q9450 @ 3.46 GHz. Perfect. :D

I would consider the i3 only with a newer ATI card, however, until Intel gets off their collective asses and address the issues with playing video smoothly @ 24fps.

What are you watching? Pretty much everything is progressive these days, leaving deinterlacing features only useful for some very few and very specific cases.

These days. I have some older video. Some others may as well. Just something for those with interlaced video to be aware of.

perhaps some type of passive cooler, either cpu/gpu. i know that for my mediacenter, noise is key.

These days. I have some older video. Some others may as well. Just something for those with interlaced video to be aware of.

VHS Tapes? Or older DVD's with interlaced material... I suppose that's a possibility.

that h55 zotac mITX board is ultimate. it even includes wifi, so add a $100 i3 and you have a fantastic htpc setup, in a portable size. mITX is finally becoming a mainstream form factor thanks to motherboards being equipped with so many good features now.... 2tb harddrives for $130 help too.

VHS Tapes? Or older DVD's with interlaced material... I suppose that's a possibility.

Yes. Mostly old home movies shot on VHS. But some old DVD's that I haven't replaced yet. Alot of broadcast HD is still 1080i as well. I know with dish and direct their 1080p content is their VoD and PPV but everything else is 1080i. Unless if direct switched everything to 1080p with the latest launch of their satellite.

Last edited:
Back