A good HDTV to function as a PC/gaming monitor?

Foxtropics

n00b
Hello, I have a few questions and was hoping that some of you here may be able to point me in a good general direction in purchasing a good 1080p HDTV.

I have a budget of about $1,200 give or take, would prefer to spend less but if spending a bit more will make or brake the deal then I can do that.

Anyway, my computer monitor is pretty much on its last life, it refuses to turn on from time to time and I figure now is as good a time than ever to replace it with something shiny and new. I want to replace my old 32' CRT television too, so I figured if its possible I could just replace both with a nice HDTV and use it not only as a TV but as a PC Monitor as well.

So I was doing a lot of reading about ghosting and input lag on HDTV's and was wondering if that is still an issue these days as it was a few years ago?

Ideally I would like to have a 42" to 47" or so, I am thinking LCD, would like to avoid plasma since I will be using as a monitor and don't want burn in.

I plan to be doing a lot of PC gaming, Wii gaming and XBOX360 gaming on it, and so on. I read that using the Wii component cables will eliminate a lot of the input lag from the up scaling of the 480i since the 480p I guess is easier to up scale? Anyway, that aside...

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a good HDTV to function as a Gaming/PC monitor? Something with decent black levels, good text quality, fast response time, low input lag and so on? I don't know if what I am looking for even exists, but I know a lot of people use HDTV's as PC monitors and game on them... So something really close at least must exist right?

Would prefer to pick up something locally, cause shipping could be an issue if I have to make a return or something, I can likely find something local if I have more of an idea of what I am looking for spec wise. I am really sort of clueless, so hopefully someone can help. Thank you. :confused:

I'd be careful with the LH30 series, even the 42" size has swapped over to laggy AUO VA panels. The only way to get the non-laggy IPS panel ones is from merchants that have older stock.

There are other LG series that still have non-laggy IPS panels, most within the OP's price range. But i haven't checked those out since switching my research over to the panasonic L32S1 and L37S1, both of which excel as monitors with proven low input lag.

There are also too many useless subjective opinions like "my TV looks great as a monitor" which does not help those researching "PC gaming TV's", so try to ignore em.

Most LCD TV's have high input lag and are not suitable for FPS gaming imho, precious few TV's cover the right bases for PC gamers.

Here's a great place to expand your research: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166

I tried a LZ800 panasonic IPS before. It made a high pitch buzzing sound and there was also un-defeatable edge sharpening. The colors also looked weird like they were wide gamut when connected to PC. I wouldn't recommend.

Last edited:
I tried a LZ800 panasonic IPS before. It made a high pitch buzzing sound and there was also un-defeatable edge sharpening. The colors also looked weird like they were wide gamut when connected to PC. I wouldn't recommend.

Maybe i was the lucky one, my lcd didnt have the high pitch buzzing sound. Unless you literally put your ears next to it. Also i didnt have the un-defeatable edge sharpening issue that you have either. The colors were good out of the box. I have a 2008 april build date. I would recommend if you dont mind sitting 5 feet away. I want to replace it with a 27-30inch monitor and use 37in for my ps3 and movies. Got tired browsing the web 5 feet away.

Also i didnt have the un-defeatable edge sharpening issue that you have either. The colors were good out of the box..

Of course you had those sharpening issues, it's on all of those LZ800's. The text is still readable, it just doesn't look as good as a $200 TN panel.

Of course you had those sharpening issues, it's on all of those LZ800's. The text is still readable, it just doesn't look as good as a $200 TN panel.

lol, its my tv, i know what im seeing. i do not have sharpening issues. But if it makes you happy, yes i have sharpening issues.

*bamp*

Well, my monitor I was using on my PC finally died today. So I am using an old back-up for time being to shop for a new HDTV to use to replace it.

What would be my best bet to find something locally and available "now" as in likely in-store at a place like Costco or BestBuy? Or any other place within say 50 miles of the 97404 zip code. Like I said earlier, I am not super concerned with black levels, I can a stand a bit of bleed through white and so on I guess. If anyone knows or has luck with any specific brands I can get locally that would appreciated because more than likely I will not be able to order something online due to the fact I want a store warranty of some sort for something this expensive.

Thanks again for all the help so far, I have learned a lot!

Edit:
Okay, after doing some research I came across the LG 42LH40-UA which is in my price range. I will further do some research to see what I can find, but these seem to be very good for the price. Does anyone have any opinions on the LH40 series?

Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+42...8067378936&skuId=9246737&st=42LH40 &cp=1&lp=1

Last edited:
I'm using the Samsung LN40B750 and it owns, just turn on game mode and your good to go (though game mode requires color calibration). It also is the best blu-ray display i've ever seen in person.

*bamp*

Well, my monitor I was using on my PC finally died today. So I am using an old back-up for time being to shop for a new HDTV to use to replace it.

What would be my best bet to find something locally and available "now" as in likely in-store at a place like Costco or BestBuy? Or any other place within say 50 miles of the 97404 zip code. Like I said earlier, I am not super concerned with black levels, I can a stand a bit of bleed through white and so on I guess. If anyone knows or has luck with any specific brands I can get locally that would appreciated because more than likely I will not be able to order something online due to the fact I want a store warranty of some sort for something this expensive.

Thanks again for all the help so far, I have learned a lot!

Edit:
Okay, after doing some research I came across the LG 42LH40-UA which is in my price range. I will further do some research to see what I can find, but these seem to be very good for the price. Does anyone have any opinions on the LH40 series?

Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+42...8067378936&skuId=9246737&st=42LH40 &cp=1&lp=1
Edit: correction, i got the model number wrong, i now see that you posted the 42LH40, and not the 42LH30, the one you linked "should" work well since it has an LG IPS panel and you could disable all the image-processing extras. I can't say for sure but the chances are pretty good imho. But like i was saying, you would have to disable 120hz and all the image processing extras to get better gaming quality and performance. Be sure to hold onto the box and receipt just in case it doesn't work the way you expect.

The 42LH30 has now started the worst lottery panel yet. The oldest one with S-IPS panels are good, the slightly more recent ones have AUO VA panels which look great as TV's and monitors but have high input lag, and the newest ones have Chi-mei VA panels which are terrible compared to the first two (high input lag + color banding).

The current TV's with the lowest input lag + good panel response is the panasonic L32S1 and L37S1. The panasonic's weakness is smudged red fonts, and smudged italic blue fonts. All other shades of blue/Italic look fine for whatever reason. sears has them on sale, search for some sears coupons to print while you're at it. If the TV is not available in your local store, you can have Sears.com ship it there for you. You still have the option of returning it in store if you don't like it.

LG TV's that have S-IPS panels come a close second in regards to input lag, but they supposedly have trouble with lighter colored fonts as well from what i read.

Not sure what TV's would make a good compromise, meaning ones with mediocre input lag but sharp colored fonts. Samsung, Sony and Sharp have been measured to have mediocre/high input lag even when in "game mode", not sure which of those three would make a better compromise though.

If you have any doubts about the options i posted, then again i totally recommend going to the AVS forums for more input, it's one of the few places where people research and discuss using TV's as monitors. I just concluded my own research after many months of casual reading, and settled with the L32S1 since i decided i was able to live with it's flaws.

Last edited:
Posted some corrections to my post above OP, i thought you were talking about the 42LH30, i just realized you were talking about the 42LH40.

Posted some corrections to my post above OP, i thought you were talking about the 42LH30, i just realized you were talking about the 42LH40.

Ah, no problems. :) Do you think the same issues apply to the LH40 or should I take my chances and see? Sooner I replace my 1440x900 back-up LCD the better... :D Will likely be a few days still, going to do some calling around today and stuff. I also need to order a DVI/HDMI cable for my PC because my video card doesn't have a HDMI out, only DVI.

I must say though, after doing a lot of reading, people seem to be pleased with the LH40 providing you turn trumotion OFF, apparently people have been complaining that trumotion causes motion blur. I have no idea how much truth that has to it though, because blur can be caused by a number of things, including bad cables or other hardware.

I have tried to find benchmarks on the LH40 but can't seem to find much related to response time and input lag anywhere, and for some bizarre reason I am unable to register at the AVSforum. Also surprisingly enough there seems to be no threads other than 1 other besides this one that even mention the LG LH40, so I have no clue. :p

Ah, no problems. :) Do you think the same issues apply to the LH40 or should I take my chances and see?
Going by the nature of the posts in that large LH40 thread, it doesn't appear that they dropped the S-IP panels in that model. The odds are in your favor imho.

Otherwise if the L37S1 is a large enough screen then i would put those two TV's on my short list. The LH40 series seems to be a more advanced model though, but most of the fancy extras are disabled when being used as a PC monitor. It all depends on your personal preference, and all the different ways you forsee using this TV (hooked up to blu-ray players, cable boxes, occasional distance viewing, PC monitor etc etc,). I wonder how capable that USB port is, i don't many details on it in the bestbuy description.

I'm using the Samsung LN40B750 and it owns, just turn on game mode and your good to go (though game mode requires color calibration). It also is the best blu-ray display i've ever seen in person.

ive got the same one and its amazing for gaming on, ultra clear picture with great color.

Arrgh! I just spent the last 2 hours reading that entire 19 page thread on AVSforum for the xxLH40 series, and it seems even after all this time the audio sync issue is still fairly severe...

Anyone have any recommendations for a comparable TV available at bestbuy? I think the audio sync issue would drive me absolutely insane rather quickly.

What about this one maybe? I don't see the B750 there, maybe I missed it though.

Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...HDTV/9300437.p?id=1218079755374&skuId=9300437

edit: Well, after nosing around in some of my boxes, I came across my HDMI kit for my xbox 360. So I can use the HDMI for video and the analog audio into my stereo directly. That should fix the sound lag for the 360 at least, my PC runs directly into my stereo as well. I can hook my Wii up via component and run the audio to the stereo too... However the thing that will kill me is trying to run my cable box into the tv, people claim that HDMI is where the audio problems occur. I can avoid using the HDMI audio for the most part, but not with a cable box...

Last edited:
If you care about low-lag gaming the Sharp LE700UN series is a very good pick. This includes the latest X-Gen panels, contrast is really excellent, input lag is vanishingly low (5ms), and pixels are very sharp for text. Low power usage with an LED backlight, but still well within your budget (40" is about $1000). Older Sharps had some banding issues, but I haven't read any complaints about this series.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18027342

BestBuy has the LC40LE700UN listed but its around 1,300 dollars without the service plan included... Ouch... the LGLH40 is more of my price range, 990 dollars with the 4 year service plan included in the price. The service plan is really a must for a purchase like this for me. I can't risk something going wrong and being out 1,200 bucks if something died on me.

------- Last edited by Foxtropics; Feb, 04 at 11:16 AM.. -------
Going to BestBuy later today, I think I may have them order one of the LH40's and if anything bring it home and try it for a few weeks. It seems some people have the issues with the audio desync others don't so I don't know. Worst case is that I just have to buy a new stereo system and bypass the TV's speakers entirely. I don't want to do that, but I may need too.

Last edited:
The 40LE700UN is $1020 shipped from Amazon, plus ~$130 for the 3 year plan from Sharp. Amazon has a good return policy - better than Best Buy's. I can understand wanting to buy from a local shop, but thought I'd throw that out there, FYI.

Okay, a slight followup to my last post. I just came back from a local video place, they did not have the LH40 but they did have the LH50 for 699, BestBuy has the LH40 for 840. I need to do some research on the LH50 to see what the differences are, and if it has the same issues as the LH40 does. For 699 out the door with the LH50 I was almost tempted to pull the trigger right then and there, but I want to confirm some stuff first.

Does anyone have any opinions on the LG 42LH50 right now?

edit:

After some Google research, I am still rather confused... Maybe someone else can help shed some light on a few things.

I can't tell if this TV has the audio sync issues through HDMI like the lh40 does or not, some I think say it does, but they might be referring to the lh40... I can't really seem to find much info on this TV at all. Does anyone own one, I would love to hear from you if you do. Also, can anyone seem to find any information on the panel type on the LH50?

Last edited:
If you care about low-lag gaming the Sharp LE700UN series is a very good pick. This includes the latest X-Gen panels, contrast is really excellent, input lag is vanishingly low (5ms), and pixels are very sharp for text. Low power usage with an LED backlight, but still well within your budget (40" is about $1000). Older Sharps had some banding issues, but I haven't read any complaints about this series.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18027342

I've been using a 32inch version of these and I couldn't be happier. I leave it on Game Mode (Vyper drive) to minimize any input lag and leave the 120hz off unless I'm watching a bluray or sports. The blacks are very nice and there is an abundance of settings that can be adjusted for color, gamma, and all that jazz. I simply copied someones ISF calibration settings from avs forum which is not recommended I know but they made a huge difference. I love this TV.

Okay, a slight followup to my last post. I just came back from a local video place, they did not have the LH40 but they did have the LH50 for 699, BestBuy has the LH40 for 840. I need to do some research on the LH50 to see what the differences are, and if it has the same issues as the LH40 does. For 699 out the door with the LH50 I was almost tempted to pull the trigger right then and there, but I want to confirm some stuff first.

Does anyone have any opinions on the LG 42LH50 right now?

edit:

After some Google research, I am still rather confused... Maybe someone else can help shed some light on a few things.

I can't tell if this TV has the audio sync issues through HDMI like the lh40 does or not, some I think say it does, but they might be referring to the lh40... I can't really seem to find much info on this TV at all. Does anyone own one, I would love to hear from you if you do. Also, can anyone seem to find any information on the panel type on the LH50?
Very nice price on the LH50, You probably already know, but the higher the model number, the more advanced features you get. The LH50 definitely has the LG IPS panel, no worries there.

More info on the LH50 series, i only scanned them but none of these threads seem to mention anything about lipsync issues:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1205905&highlight=42lh50
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1205751&highlight=42lh50
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1198256&highlight=42lh50
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170724&highlight=42lh50
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1173695&highlight=42lh50
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1169111&highlight=42lh50

All TV's have their peculiarities btw, or issues if you want to call it that. Sometimes it affects the entire line, sometimes it's just a certain percentage of sets. Now of course you want to stay away from very problematic sets, but there's still the chance you'll pick up a defective set anyway. Pick your poison basically, but i wouldn't sweat it too much. Also remember some of these "problem threads" discuss older issues that have already been cleared up by firmware updates.

I would have been sorely tempted to pull the trigger on that set myself, all of those yummy features and decent size for only $699.

There is a lot of user info over on www.avsforum.com about this TV

Thanks for the pointer... I have already been there though, also...

and for some bizarre reason I am unable to register at the AVSforum.

So... Yeah.

Anyway, it looks like I may be looking for something besides the LG LH series at this point. Everything I can find seems to claim that the audio issues are still rampant with LG TV's in general. Which sort of sucks, because I really liked the looks of the LG TV's but the audio snyc issue is unacceptable. Especially since LG claims to have fixed it many times, yet I still read reviews about it being a problem even after LG has sent the updated firmware to the TV's.

I guess at this point I am looking for pretty much any S-IPS panel, input lag is not really the primary issue anymore, it seems anything I get will have it so I may as well not even bother with it.

Is there a general rule to go by at this point? Which brands to avoid and which to look into? LG seemed to be the go to point before I started my research but it seems they have had audio issues even dating back to late 06 models. :confused:

Edit:
Whoa, I didn't even notice this thread had 2 pages! Thanks for the info SJetski71 you have been a lot of help so far, I really appreciate it. I have seen a lot of mixed things about the LH series so far, some say that just having something plugged into the HDMI causes the audio sync issue, others say that it's strictly related to specific cable boxes. One review I read said that normally a ps2 and xbox 360 had zero audio sync issues, but once an hdmi cable was connected to the tv audio sync problems occurred with the 2 consoles until the tv was powered on and off again. A rather confusing set of issues to say the least, a friend of mine wants to me get a Vizio set, but I haven't had any experience with those at all.

Last edited:
Well the one good thing about Vizio is they are easily had from Wally and Sam's, both have a pretty liberal return policy. I don't know what Sam's return policy is for TV's but I took back my 2.5 year old Xbox Elite that red ringed on me, I was shocked when they gave me a full refund of $525. Just remember to save them receipts.

Not sure if i asked, or if you answered, but do you consider a 37" TV too small OP?

OP remember how i said that a select few TV's were a compromise of slightly higher input lag, but better picture quality? Better picture quality may be a fair trade off right?

Well i found one, and Bestbuy has it for $699, the Toshiba 40XV645U. Begin reading from post #146 onwards to see --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464&page=5

That guy at the AVS forums is a TV input lag fanatic, if he gives it a thumbs up, i'd consider it 3 thumbs up :D. He also has another good TV to compare it side-by-side with.

And no smeared red text either.

Last edited:
Not sure if i asked, or if you answered, but do you consider a 37" TV too small OP?

37" would be a bit small I think, want to stick to 40" to 42" or so as of now. 47" is a bit too big, 37" maybe if the price was really good.

Looking at that 40XV645U you pointed out, that looks good and even has analog audio outputs for my stereo! Only thing that I can find bad about it is the cnet reviews... People complaining of them dying within a month to a year. That would suck if it did, but hey I think I might jump on this one, it's 699 at bestbuy right now and the 4-year extended warranty is only 120 bucks. 820 bucks total, not too bad. Especially if it meets my needs, plus I can pipe it right to my stereo with zero problems. Sounds like a winner to me "as of now" Who knows once I get it home. Would have preferred a 42" but beggars cant be choosers. I will update rather or not I pick it up today, if they have it in stock that is, with my luck they wont. My bestbuy here usually has to order things because their stock is always lacking.

There's a local store check on the same page, click the check stores link on that page to see.

Decisions, decisions ey?

And as i said earlier, it's extrememly hard to find an LCD TV that doesn't have complaints published obout them online. When you go looking for complaints, you'll always find them ;). LCD's are sensitive electronics prone to failure, it pays to buy known brand names from better merchants with an extended warranty (as you are).

Well, at the moment I am using the Toshiba 40XV645U that you told me about. I love the picture quality, It's amazing. I am unable to use the TV at 1080p over VGA though, so am only able to run at 1280x1024 resolution at the moment. I need my HDMI cable to come on monday before I can test anything else.

I am getting some rather decent input lag though as of current, I tried playing half-life and noticed I was over-aiming a lot because of the delay on the mouse. It isn't that great and I don't have a means to test it right now though. I hope the delay I am getting is because I am running in a non-native resolution and not something I am going to need to learn to live with. It's tolerable on the PC as a monitor but using it for games might just get annoying. We will see... any recommendations on settings?

Well, at the moment I am using the Toshiba 40XV645U that you told me about. I love the picture quality, It's amazing. I am unable to use the TV at 1080p over VGA though, so am only able to run at 1280x1024 resolution at the moment. I need my HDMI cable to come on monday before I can test anything else.

I am getting some rather decent input lag though as of current, I tried playing half-life and noticed I was over-aiming a lot because of the delay on the mouse. It isn't that great and I don't have a means to test it right now though. I hope the delay I am getting is because I am running in a non-native resolution and not something I am going to need to learn to live with. It's tolerable on the PC as a monitor but using it for games might just get annoying. We will see... any recommendations on settings?
First off: congrats on your purchase, hopefully it works out the way you're expecting.

Now lets start somewhere you wouldn't have guessed: USB mouse lag, many usb mice have up to 8ms, which unfortunately combines with input lag and internet lag for mulitplayer gaming. The way to lower mouse lag is to increase it's polling rate. Download DIMR.exe to measure your polling rate, If your results equal 125hz then you have 8ms of lag. If you measure 1000hz then you only have 1ms of lag and wouldn't have to proceed any further.

Now if your polling rate is some low number such as 125hz~500hz, then i recommend you install HIDUSBF and run the patch with your computer in safe mode (must be in safe mode to work).

Here's a set of instructions and some feedback: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106653

I did exactly that and it made a perceptible difference with how my mouse feels, i had always suspected it was causing lag and i finally google searched the topic and got my answer.

After that it's a waiting game, when you get your hdmi cable we can take the next few steps ;)

Well, actually as a follow up to my post from earlier, I figured out how to get it into game mode. Game mode seemed to reduce the delay significantly. I set game mode for my HDMI 2 which is my xbox 360 and it helped a lot as well. I have a feeling the left over lag I am feeling is because I am not running in a native res to the TV so it is having to upscale the picture. On monday when the HDMI to DVI cable gets here I will know more.

On monday I will set the PC as HDMI 1 and run that in game mode as well. Frito's post on AVSf says he had it game mode for the low lag, it just took me awhile to figure it out. The thing that sucks is that in game mode I can't run the TV in 120hz mode, oh well. XBOX 360 games look amazing on this, I wonder if the 46" version of this set has the same response time and input lag as this 40" version does... BestBuy has a great return policy and I could totally return it and get the 46" if I wanted... Hmmmm...

I wonder if the 46" version of this set has the same response time and input lag as this 40" version does... BestBuy has a great return policy and I could totally return it and get the 46" if I wanted... Hmmmm...
It would likely have similar results imho, unless the panel is produced by an entirely different manufacturer. Not sure if there's an easy way to tell.

Doesn't that upgrade itch burn like heck? Hehe, it's already happening to you and you haven't had the TV for a full day yet :p

Heh, the upgrade itch was there before I even bought the set. Originally I had planned to re-do the layout of my living space and remove my desk entirely replaced by an entertainment center and couch/table. I figured from 10 feet away or so the larger the screen would be a lot more beneficial. So far I am happy with the picture quality on the 40" though, so not sure yet what I want to do. Just need to wait till tomorrow so I can get this thing displaying the picture it SHOULD be displaying. I am kind of disappointed it can't do 1080p over VGA, because a lot of HDTV's I read about can apparently. I was prepared for it though and bought the cable I needed for HDMI in advance though, I wasn't planning on keeping this through VGA anyway.

Looks like sethk was onto something when he mentioned sharp in his post above.

More related info:
http://sites.google.com/site/sharpe77ulag/

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18088277

Not that i recommend you start feeling any buyer's remorse or anything ;). But if things don't work out with your TV for whatever reason, then you have other candidates to investigate: The E77U and E67U series.

I have a hunch though that your TV's going to work out fine, or at worst you upgrade to the 46" size.

Seems I have ran into a problem, won't know till monday if it is the TV or my VGA cable though. When running a game in full screen I am getting lots of crashes to desktop and I'm not entirely sure why. I read on another forum that it had something to do with refresh rate mismatches. There was one person that couldn't get crysis to run full screen but it would run windowed fine, I'm not sure if that's related though.

The weird thing is, I can't even run some games in windowed mode they still crash. I'm able to run half-life 1 but once it loads it minimizes back to desktop. Clicking on the game in the taskbar will bring it back up for a few seconds then it goes minimized again. If I throw the game into windowed mode it seems to work once I set it back to full screen mode. I really hope the HDMI cable I have coming tomorrow fixes this, cause this could be a whole new chain of problems.

I've been using my Samsung 40 inch A650 for playing blu-ray rips in my bed room on my PC , I've also done some gaming on it and once you set it to HDMI 2 in PC mode the input lag is around 15-25ms so its very good . Sharp looks like a great bet but Samsung isn't a horrible recommendation either , just make sure you disable all the post processing junk and you'll be just fine.

Seems I have ran into a problem, won't know till monday if it is the TV or my VGA cable though. When running a game in full screen I am getting lots of crashes to desktop and I'm not entirely sure why. I read on another forum that it had something to do with refresh rate mismatches. There was one person that couldn't get crysis to run full screen but it would run windowed fine, I'm not sure if that's related though.

The weird thing is, I can't even run some games in windowed mode they still crash. I'm able to run half-life 1 but once it loads it minimizes back to desktop. Clicking on the game in the taskbar will bring it back up for a few seconds then it goes minimized again. If I throw the game into windowed mode it seems to work once I set it back to full screen mode. I really hope the HDMI cable I have coming tomorrow fixes this, cause this could be a whole new chain of problems.
I had similar things happen to me as well. Pretty sure my issue was refresh rate mismatches. I fixed it this way in the ati catalyst control center, and haven't had a single problem since.

Catalyst control center -> Display properties -> 59hz (or 60hz maybe in your case)

Catalyst control center -> Display options -> 3D refresh rate overide -> 59hz (or 60hz maybe in your case)

Catalyst control center -> DTV DVI -> image scaling -> "enable" GPU scaling -> select "use centered timings" or "maintain aspect ratio" (i use centered timings)

Thanks SJetski but I'm using nVidia not ATi. Also it seems that the game launching problem isn't related to the TV, because I just connected my old secondary monitor again and they refused to launch on that one too. So something is just screwy, I doubt whatever is wrong has anything to do with the TV in this case, just bad timing. On monday once I get the HDMI all should be well, not having too much problem with the input lag really. Don't have many games installed at the moment though, only time will tell I guess. My Wii and 360 look amazing though, and have almost zero lag. I was even able to play Guitar Hero and 100% a few songs, so I guess that's something. I figured if the lag was going to be too bad, I wouldn't be able to do very good, and I still did, who knows. :)

I've been using a 32inch version of these and I couldn't be happier. I leave it on Game Mode (Vyper drive) to minimize any input lag and leave the 120hz off unless I'm watching a bluray or sports. The blacks are very nice and there is an abundance of settings that can be adjusted for color, gamma, and all that jazz. I simply copied someones ISF calibration settings from avs forum which is not recommended I know but they made a huge difference. I love this TV.

What do you think about movie watching on this display? Do you switch the vyper mode off when watching movies?

Back