Samsung F2370H & F2380MX 23" 1080p 3000:1 ANSI CR 178° sRGB

sethk

2[H]4U
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news...r-f2370h-f2380mx-high-contrast-lcds-launched/

Title says most of it, other than a dynamic (fake) CR of 150,000:1 to go along with the real (static) contrast of 3,000:1 and a converted USD price of $353 for the F2370H and $371 for the F2380MX when they launch in Korea.

The former is a 'consumer monitor' - looks like the ToC design and the latter is a professional monitor. There is a lot of focus on colors, so there is the off-chance it may be an IPS according to the article, but I think PVA (specifically c-PVA) is more likely given that this is a Samsung monitor, and they are unlikely to be buying panels from LG. Hopefully the sRGB mode is a true sRGB mode with no dithering. I like the pivot option on the pro model along with the white bezel - although that may not survive the transition to the US market.

This will be, without a doubt, the highest static CR computer monitor when it launches, if those numbers really do pan out. I completely disregard dynamic contrast for computer monitors, because it is not usable in normal desktop usage, IMHO.

These sound like a respin of the original F2380. The F2380 had some pretty awful black crush associated with it and was generally forgotten about. EIZO used the panel in their EV2333W (and EV2334W?) to great success because they apparently measured the unit in the factory and consequently corrected the gamma curves in the monitor hardware to sRGB. In the PRAD test this model did around 7000:1 static.

The best improvement Samsung can contribute to this respin would be this gamma factory measurement and tracking.

Doesn't Samsung have the facilities to make their own IPS panels?

I don't think Samsung has patents or licencing for IPS mode LCDs.

Exactly - each of the major manufacturers has then own patents on some variation of liquid crystal alignment technology (PVA, MVA, IPS, etc.) or have licensed one of the patents from the IP owners. At the very least, it would be extra money that Samsung would have to pay someone else for each IPS panel they made, which is a pretty major disincentive in making IPS monitors.

will have to wait for prad.de to do a review.

I'm itching to ditch my old analog 17" TN. And it wont be another TN

Exactly - each of the major manufacturers has then own patents on some variation of liquid crystal alignment technology (PVA, MVA, IPS, etc.) or have licensed one of the patents from the IP owners. At the very least, it would be extra money that Samsung would have to pay someone else for each IPS panel they made, which is a pretty major disincentive in making IPS monitors.

Especially when they already invested in the R&D and manufaturing S-PVA and cPVA panels themselves.

I found a review, dropped it in google translate (korean => english), but it still looks like chinese to me :).
Original
Babelfish
Google (looks like the most readable)
Youtube test clip (from the same site)

I really really hope this screens comes in black also.

Does anyone have any idea when these are coming to the US. I'm interested in the F2370H.

Last edited:
Back