Dual Screen remote desktop without using /span

vage

2[H]4U
OK guys, so I read a while back that Windows 7 would support dual monitor remote desktop, and it looks to be true, as there is a feature when setting up remote desktop to "Use all of my monitors for remote desktop":

rdp.jpg

I am remoting from a Windows 7 desktop, to another Windows 7 desktop, so this feature should be supported. However I cannot get it to work, and I don't want to use /span because it doesn't recognize each monitor as independent. Does anyone know how to enable this feature?

It is also based on the res the desktop you are RDPing into is set.

Well I have the exact same setup at work that I have at home, both 22 inch monitors with the same resolution.

I figured I would post back, because I believe I found the solution, however I have not been able to test it:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Remote-Desktop-Connection-frequently-asked-questions

This states that:

"In Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise editions, Remote Desktop Connection supports the use of multiple high-resolution displays in a remote session."

Unfortunately I have Windows 7 Pro, and apperently multimon is not supported.

If someone out there has Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 Ultimate AND dual monitors, I'd like to know if this works.

It is also based on the res the desktop you are RDPing into is set.

No it's not. I remote into work from home, at home I have two 19" 1680x1050 monitors, at work I have one 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I have no problem using dual mon via remote desktop.

Vage, it works just dandy.

:-( now I'm really pissed that they didn't include this into Win 7 Pro.....

It works fine in Enterprise/Ultimate. I'm not sure if one or both of the computers have to support it; I have Ultimate at home and Enterprise at work and am able to RDP into my home machine and use both my monitors fine. I also can't comment on resolution; at home it's 2x1600x1200, at work it's 1920x1200 and 1620x1200, so it fits fine.

Back