Stopped PC gaming since Doom 3 and Far Cry. What did I miss out on?

Undercover_Man

[H]ard Surgeon
Hay, I stopped gaming on my PC shortly after Doom 3 and Far Cray came out. Since those games, my PC started struggling on graphics so I had to tone down qualities and eventually stopped all together and replaced it with hours upon hours of video and audio podcasts and anime.

Well, I'm guilding my new eyefinity dual 5790 gaming computer and want to know what I missed out on. I walk around Best Buy and WalMart and can see the latest games that I remember are popular, but what about ones from the Far Cray time up to about 6 months ago?

I love shooters (first/third person)(single/multi-player) and space sims and mechwarrior-type games but I don't think many space sims or mech games have been released. :(

Any RPG games would have to be REALLY good because they require a lot of my time when I get addicted. I loved Fable. I've never played an MMORPG before though. I was going to maybe get into WoW. Oh wait, I've played Flyff before though and liked it a lot.

I have played two Need for Speed games and look forward to playing more racing games with landscape eyefinity. Can't wait for that. Any other good racing games come out besides the NFS line?

Any other ideas? I'm making a list of games I need to catch up on and checking it twice. I've also played the Orange Box games.

~ Undercover_Man

EDIT: I'll post the games I want to play here and update it so ppl will see what has already been suggested. And if I say something like "BioShock" then automatically assume I'm including BioShock 2 and 3 and 4 and so on and so forth and any expansions.

List so far:

• BioShock
  • Quakes after 3
  • Doom 3 expansion
  • Halo's after 1
  • Call of Duty's after 3
  • Mass Effect
  • Crysis
  • Far Cry after 1
  • Dirt 2
  • Batman Arkham Asylum
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Battlefield after Vietnam (Can you provide list?)
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • F.E.A.R.
  • S.W.A.T. 4 & on
  • Fallout
  • GTA IV
  • Resident Evil(?)
  • Prey
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
  • The Witcher
  • Gears of War
  • Trackmania
  • Burnout Paradise
  • King Arthur (the 2004 game?)
  • Need for Speed (can you provide list?)
  • Borderlands
  • Operation Flashpoint 2
  • Risen
  • Call Of Jaurez
  • Dead Space
  • Quantum Of Solace
  • Chronicles of Riddick
  • Prince Of Persia
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Battlestations Pacific
  • Fuel
  • Ghostbusters
  • Drakensang
  • VEGAS 2
  • Brother's in Arms (suggestions?)
  • World In Conlict
  • Test Drive Unlimited

Any more suggestions? Most of these are late 2008-present. What about games before that too that stood out?

Last edited:
Dirt 2 is great for racing and can really use your Eyefinity setup

Batman Arkham Asylum is a must have, and you've got to play Bioshock (the sequel is out next week)

If you like pretty graphics Crysis is probably one of the best games you can play.

Left 4 Dead 2 should be freakin scary on an Eyefinity setup.

hmm... Crysis perhaps? Quite good game and it still going strong.
And if you like RPG then you have to get Dragon Age: Origins.
If you havent played Half-LIfe 2 (released around same time as Doom3 if i remember correctly) with the expansion i can highly recommend Orange Box.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Mechwarrior Living Legends (mod for Crysis)

I'll give nods to COD4:MW(1), The Witcher, Stalker, Fallout 3, and maybe even Gears of War if you can find it for PC. Welcome back to PC gaming. :)

The Witcher.
Undercover_Man said:
I've never played an MMORPG before though. I was going to maybe get into WoW.
Don't do that right away. You've got enough of a backlog to cover your gaming needs for quite some time. Sometime in the future when you've got no backlog then maybe go ahead and do that. MMOs can be huge timesinks if you're not careful, but are highly rewarding and fun when played with the right group of people.

Start with Bioshock.

bsvx6.png

Bioshock, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Half-Life 2, Portal, Dragon Age
that would be my top list in no order

If you want to see how good graphics can be today,Crysis is the game to play. If you want a game that will draw you in and provide hours of playing,STALKER:SoC can't be beat.And after you finish it,you can move on to the prequel Clear Sky. Skip FarCry 2,it's a huge disappointment after the first one.PREY is an interesting game that uses the DOOM 3 engine,I liked it but it has to be the shortest game I've played.

Any RPG games would have to be REALLY good because they require a lot of my time when I get addicted. I loved Fable. I've never played an MMORPG before though. I was going to maybe get into WoW. Oh wait, I've played Flyff before though and liked it a lot.

I have played two Need for Speed games and look forward to playing more racing games with landscape eyefinity. Can't wait for that. Any other good racing games come out besides the NFS line?
An MMO (especially WOW) shouldn't be something you try out after a long PC game drought.

As far as RPG's go, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Dragon Age Origins, Divinity 2, Mass Effect are all good games that I would recommend.

For racing games, my personal favorites are Burnout Paradise, Dirt 2, and Trackmania. They're all solid and have different styles of play so maybe one would suit you.

Other games in general, I would reccomend at least trying Crysis out just to see how far you can push your 5970's and see the great graphics.

Instead of browsing the store, maybe browse steampowered.com and see their game selection. More often than not they're also cheaper especially when there's a large sale. I imagine you missed out on the Steam holiday sale... there were a boat load of games that went on sale for as low as $5.

I bought a new PC in March of last year. These are the titles I bought in 2010:

Divinity 2
Left 4 Dead 2
King Arthur
Shift
Borderlands
Resident Evil 5
Torchlight
Operation Flashpoint 2
PES 2010
Dragon Age
Fifa 10
Majesty 2
Risen
Batman Arkham
Call Of Jaurez BIB
Dead Space
Spore galactic adventures
Quantum Of Solace
Chronicles of Riddick
Prince Of Persia
Mirror's Edge
Battlestations Pacific
Empire Total War
The Sims 3
Fuel
Fallout 3
Call Of Duty World At War
Grand Theft Auto 4
Far Cry 2
Stalker Clear Sky
Stalker
FEAR 2
Ghostbusters
Drakensang
Assassin's Creed
Crysis pack
VEGAS 2
Mass Effect
Hell's Highway
The Witcher
NBA 2k9
PES 09
FIFA 09
COD 4
Bioshock
Hellgate London
World In Conlict
Spore
Storm Of Zehir

Wait, you bought Hellgate: London in 2010? I hope you got your moneys worth :S

I was extremely pleased with defense grid: the awakening. I'd recommend that over torchlight.

Oh right, if you like the Ghostbusters movies, I highly recommend you check out the game if you can get a deal on it - say < $15 or so.

I bought a new PC in March of last year. These are the titles I bought in 2010:

<snip>

Damn, all those in the past 23 days? :p

OP, I see that Dead Space isn't on your list. It should be, IMO.

As for Far Cry 2, I wouldn't spend a lot on it. It's a beautiful game but make sure you are OK with the gameplay mechanics/design before shelling out the cash. Lots of driving and respawning enemies turned many a gamer off from this one...it's ok for $5-$10 but definitely no more than that unless you are one of the few that really likes the game. Ideally, download and play the demo first before purchasing.

As someone who loved the original Farcry and played it several times, I gotta agree that Farcry 2 is pretty "meh".

I'd recommend checking out NFS: Shift (great realistic racing, definitely get an XBox controller or similar to play with though), and GTA 4. Left 4 Dead 2 is pretty awesome if you like zombies :)

Games you must play include:

Bioshock

Elderscrolls IV : Oblivion

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

The Witcher

Mass Effect

Call of Duty 4

Crysis

and Fallout 3 or Left4Dead if your into zombies or the original Fallout series.

Just an FYI that Test Drive Unlimited is what Burnout Paradise wanted to be...

I'd probably thinking BP was awesome, if I hadn't already been playing TDU for 18 months...

Back