Can't get X58 onboard LAN to connect at 1Gbps...

Dew itt right

2[H]4U
Well, I just got my new motherboard up and running as well as my new NAS. The NAS (D-Link DNS-321) is connecting to my router (D-Link DIR-655) at 1Gbps but my onboard LAN will only connect at 100Mbps. I'm trying to copy some of my files over and they're transferring at around 8-10 MB/s max and it's killing me. I've tried 2 different cables in two different router ports with both of my mobo ports and everytime it connects at 100Mbps. I went into the advanced settings of the network adapter and manually set the link speed to 1Gbps but when it reloads it still connects at 100Mbps.

I'm not sure what other info you may need so let me know and I'll be happy to post it. My system is in the sig...

i had a problem like this before, turns out it was my Netgear GS605 switch. Every time I rebooted my desktop the 1Gbps connection would drop back down to 100Mbps. No matter what cable i used or what jack I could not get it to go to 1Gbps. The fix was to power cycle the switch after the desktop rebooted. It sucked, but worked. Ended up getting a new switch.

i had a problem like this before, turns out it was my Netgear GS605 switch. Every time I rebooted my desktop the 1Gbps connection would drop back down to 100Mbps. No matter what cable i used or what jack I could not get it to go to 1Gbps. The fix was to power cycle the switch after the desktop rebooted. It sucked, but worked. Ended up getting a new switch.

Just tried it but no such luck. Any other ideas? It seems like it has to be a device setting on the PC side since the NAS is connected to the router at 1Gbps...

$10.00 says it's a defective cable. Gigabit requires all 4 pairs, but Fast only requires 2 pairs. If one of the pairs is defective it will only connect at 100mbps.

$10.00 says it's a defective cable. Gigabit requires all 4 pairs, but Fast only requires 2 pairs. If one of the pairs is defective it will only connect at 100mbps.

Is that going to be a PayPal CC payment? :p I used two different LAN cables (in two different router ports) and both were only 100Mbps (and both have done 1Gbps in the past). Just for kicks though I took a LAN tester to both cables and all 8 wires are intact on both cables...

That motherboard uses the Realtek 8111D NIC, and there's an interesting thread, here, about Win7 incorrectly using 8111B drivers for the 8111D.

Is that going to be a PayPal CC payment? :p I used two different LAN cables (in two different router ports) and both were only 100Mbps (and both have done 1Gbps in the past). Just for kicks though I took a LAN tester to both cables and all 8 wires are intact on both cables...

In that case, it will be cash, through the mail, and if it gets "lost" it's not my fault ;) :p

If that's not the issue then it's probably drivers as evilsofa said, there isn't much else to explain it!

Have you tried disabling auto-negotiation, and hard setting the NIC to GigE?

Definitely make triple sure you have the correct network drivers installed. I had this issue before too with a realtek nic and it was resolved by installing the proper drivers.

Well djBon2112, I am officially eating my words! I deleted an installed the newest drivers posted by Gigabyte and no fix. I deleted them and installed newer drivers posted by Realtek and still no fix. Then I saw this board has a feature I believe called Smart LAN that can supposedly tell you if any of your twisted pairs are not continuous. It was telling me that BOTH of my cables had 2 pairs "open". I didn't take it seriously at first because it told me that the same 2 pairs in both cables were open. But I ran out of stuff to try so to double check them I brought the NAS into the office and plugged it into one of the cables and sure enough it connected at 100Mbps. Despite my ethernet cable testor telling me all 8 wires were continuous, I rewired both ends and now the PC is connected at 1Gbps. I guess I'm now the one who needs to throw some cash in the mail... :p

Back