Votes: 10 9.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 42 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 59 53.2%

• Total voters

jaredpace

Limp Gawd
Do you get the grey screen of death? I'm curious what percentage of HD5000 owners have these crashes. :eek:

462770241_1616521080_0.jpg

463835303_1620587117_0.jpg

crashb.png

I'm guessing that a lot of these are caused by people over-volting and overclocking their cards too high, and thermal/voltage protection is kicking in. My card did this once, and I found it was because I was using two software tools that polled the voltage chip which would cause it to run at 1.6v. Once I worked out the software problem, it's been a dream.

Not trying to derail, but I got this once with my 4890 at my usual speeds(950 core 1150 memory). I think it was when I had the newest drivers?

I got the crash one day after getting a new HD5870, I had just returned a HD4890 and just got back from the store. Sat down and it grey screen. LOL.

I have found that the 2d clocks at 157mhz might be to low for the card. Once I put a second monitor on the 2d clocks are 400mhz min. I had not grey crashed again.

Plus all I have to do is tick the check box for overdrive and the 2d clocks go from 400mhz to 157mhz and everything starts going ape sh*t. Esp the second monitor it starts tearing and flashing.

Brand new stock card no OC no changes no nothing. 100% perfectly stable system for years.

9.12 drivers.

I'm betting a driver update will change the 2d clocks and the grey screen will be gone.

How do you change the 2D clocks? Adjusting the sliders in CCC doesn't do it.

My 5850 has done this twice. Both while basically idle surfing the web. It seemed really random.

fixed mine xfx 5870 with asus bios using asus smart dr and disabled ati hd audio
oc 950/1300 1.175v problem free

i want audio via the HDMI connector,, hoping driver fixes this soon, or i'll just RMA it back to asus again, figure that will help me out, as sitting around with the card now not usable is just torture.

It's power play. You need to load msi afterburner to do the lcocking and put AMD GPU tool a mhz above. It tricks the power play and solves this issue. HDMI is not the cause.

I am having trouble setting up a 2D profile..it will not give me the option to change the 2D clocks....anyone got a link or talk me through it like the nOOb that I am....

Oddly enough.. I just started getting these type of crashes with my 4850 sapphire I've been using for some time.

Mind you, I did overclock it to 669 / 1099. But it worked fine at that setting for well over 8 months to a year.. I keep it clean, and fans are running smoothly. I haven't gotten the crash with stock clock settings yet.. But I am still wondering why all of a sudden this occurs and leads me here..

I only managed to detect what was going on after it actually recovered once during a freeze before the grey screen and I was able to capture the following event from the system log.

Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 4/24/2010 5:54:11 PM
Event ID: 4101
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Description:
Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Anyone else with a 4000 series card starting to see issues?

I used to get something very similiar with my 3850... but it wasn't a grey screen, it was a green screen. And it would happen for no reason at all, often when I was working on the desktop. It only happened rarely, like once a month maybe, but I always wondered what the hell was going on. I've not seen this powerplay issue with my 4890 yet but good to know there's a workaround for issues like this.

I have an XFX 5870 from launch week and haven't gotten it. I feel bad for those who haven't been so lucky. So far so good for me though...

I voted no, because under normal operation I don't get them. When overclocking too much without adjusting the vcore high enough I start to get them, with a 5970.

If you're getting these reguarly on a stock card (not overclocked or modded in any way) then RMA the card, we've been over this on the forums a number of times and it always comes back to a hardware issue, it's not software/config.

I'm still getting them when trying to play bfbc2 in dx11 mode. Anyone have a working link to the unlocked asus bios for 5870? Any of the ones i've seen are dead now :/

The only time I've gotten GSOD is when switching profiles. This only started happening recently as well. Nothing changed other than using the newer preview drivers, to which I've rolled back to 10.3b since for this and the sleeping monitor issue.

I did the upgrade (from HIS HD3450 to Visiontek fanless HD5450) this week, and I've been thrashing the new card rather hard. Every game that I used to play at medium detail or lower, I now play at high or ultra/very high at a minimum of 1280x720 NI. That is *despite* losing my CPU overclock (for some reason, despite keeping the same BIOS settings, my CPU refuses to run above stock).

However, considering I changed nothing else (except pulling my PCI-based TV tuner, in case cooling might have been an issue), I suspect power usage (even though neither card required/requires auxilliary power; the HIS model did include a fan).

I got 3 GSOD when I install the card with 10.3 drivers, now I use 10.5beta drivers and it has been fine ever since and games work perfectly as well

I have been getting a very lovely shade of purple lately.

Also, I have on occasion been getting some exciting screen tearing with any motion, while in 2D desktop mode. This is in XFX's recommended 400/1250 profile. I still on occasion get a purple/green/tan/grey screen of death on my 5870 xxx edition, at non xxx edition speeds (800/1200).

So if I'm playing a game - example being ArmA 2, and then quit. The screen is completely grey, does this mean I have a GSOD? ArmA 2 is the only game I've had this problem on, everything else runs fine. I can easily get out of this issue by CTRL-ALT-DEL and killing the process.

I have my XFX 5870 on water with an EK block and 1000 Mhz core clock, 1300 Mem, and I forget what the core voltage is. MSI Afterburner is being used for overclocking and the card hits 51C max with Furmark.

Just saw one of those gray screens yesterday on a 5750 playing Just Cause 2. Turns out Overdrive was on and the card was OC'd. Setting the clocks back to default fixed it.

I was getting constant GSODs until I updated to the 10.4 drivers and backed my OC down to 900/1250. Seems stable now.

Oddly enough.. I just started getting these type of crashes with my 4850 sapphire I've been using for some time.

Mind you, I did overclock it to 669 / 1099. But it worked fine at that setting for well over 8 months to a year.. I keep it clean, and fans are running smoothly. I haven't gotten the crash with stock clock settings yet.. But I am still wondering why all of a sudden this occurs and leads me here..

I only managed to detect what was going on after it actually recovered once during a freeze before the grey screen and I was able to capture the following event from the system log.

Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 4/24/2010 5:54:11 PM
Event ID: 4101
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Description:
Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Anyone else with a 4000 series card starting to see issues?

Yes, starting about 4 weeks ago my 4850 has had this problem. It's never been over clocked and has never had this issue until recently.

Hi, I was having the gray screen with line issues with my twin 5770 in crossfire. When the computer was in power save mode it the screen would not wake up and I would have the GSOD forcing reboot. I could not get the computer to hibernate. Even with the monitor always on and just using a screen saver I would get the GSOD. Sent a trouble ticket to XFX and got this response. I did what was recommended and now no GSOD power saving features will work and the computer will hibernate. Here is the exact post I received from XFX:

Open the Catalyst Control Center. Go to Overdrive. Click the Key. Accept the EULA. Check the box to Enable ATI Overdrive. Do not change anything. Click Apply. Click Options in the top right. Select Profiles\Profiles Manager. Type the name Overdrive in for your new Profile and click Save. Close out of the Catalyst Control Center. Open My Computer. Go to C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\. Click Organize. Go to Folder Options. Go to the View tab and select Show hidden Files and Folders. Open the folder AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles. Right click Overdrive.xml and select Edit. This should open up Notepad. Go to the section Feature name=`CoreClockTarget_0` . Edit Property name=`Want_0` value=`15700` / to Property name=`Want_0` value=`40000` / . Go to the section Feature name=`MemoryClockTarget_0`. Change Property name=`Want_0` value=`30000` to Property name=`Want_0` value=`90000`. Save the file. Open Catalyst Control Center. Open the Profile Manager again and activate the Overdrive profile.

With my Gigabyte 5970, I get the GSOD about every 30-60 mins inside of Windows 7. There are two types of GSOD, one where the gray or whatever color covers the screen and locks up the whole machine. The second error is a glitch, a 15 second lockup and then Windows coming back and stating that it just recovered from a driver failure. However, when I play StarCraft II or any other game, I can play that for hours on end without getting it. I've used 10.3 and 10.4. I'm currently working to RMA my card.

I've tried to over and underclock the card to stop this. I've tried all different settings and nothing helps. Hopefully a new card will fix it.

Hi, I was having the gray screen with line issues with my twin 5770 in crossfire. When the computer was in power save mode it the screen would not wake up and I would have the GSOD forcing reboot. I could not get the computer to hibernate. Even with the monitor always on and just using a screen saver I would get the GSOD. Sent a trouble ticket to XFX and got this response. I did what was recommended and now no GSOD power saving features will work and the computer will hibernate. Here is the exact post I received from XFX:

Open the Catalyst Control Center. Go to Overdrive. Click the Key. Accept the EULA. Check the box to Enable ATI Overdrive. Do not change anything. Click Apply. Click Options in the top right. Select Profiles\Profiles Manager. Type the name Overdrive in for your new Profile and click Save. Close out of the Catalyst Control Center. Open My Computer. Go to C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\. Click Organize. Go to Folder Options. Go to the View tab and select Show hidden Files and Folders. Open the folder AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles. Right click Overdrive.xml and select Edit. This should open up Notepad. Go to the section Feature name=`CoreClockTarget_0` . Edit Property name=`Want_0` value=`15700` / to Property name=`Want_0` value=`40000` / . Go to the section Feature name=`MemoryClockTarget_0`. Change Property name=`Want_0` value=`30000` to Property name=`Want_0` value=`90000`. Save the file. Open Catalyst Control Center. Open the Profile Manager again and activate the Overdrive profile.

I have an Eyefinity6 card driving a single screen. I was getting GSODs *every* time I played a certain L4D2 youtube video at full screen - it was completely repeatable. I upgraded to 10.5 drivers and that didn't fix the problem. I followed the directions in the XFX post above and after a reboot the settings in the new profile took effect and no more GSODs (Note: simply activating the profile didn't work, I had to reboot and then activate it - weird).

I also noticed that with 10.5 drivers the default profile that is created has 'Want_0' value=40000 but the default clock was still 157MHz and wouldn't change. I changed the profile so that value=50000 so my base 2D clock is now 500MHz (after reboot and activating the new profile).

Thanks for that XFX copy/paste BTW.

M.

Yea, I have noticed that if I have streaming video open, I have to close it change profile, then reopen the website. Otherwise it gets worse, and the clocks go all wacky.

I've never gotten the GSOD crash.

Now, before I updated my BIOS and disable hardware acceleration in flash, I was locking up watching full screen flash videos and suffering from the enlarged mouse pointer.

Now, all is well.

How do you now if the Catalyst Control Center is disabled?
Is it by unticked box's and paddlock open?:confused:

the poll should be about non-overclocked cards under normal usage. If someone over-volts his card and gets grey screen, it has nothing to do with the reliability of the cards, rendering this poll useless.

Do you need to open MSI Afterburner to work when your playing a game? thanks

I used to get an occasional GSOD, but the new drivers seem to have fixed it. I don't remember which precisely, one of the early 10 drivers. I'm currently running 10.4. So for sure try out newer drivers if you are having the problem. However, that doesn't mean that drivers are the only thing related to the problem, just that in my case it seems to be it. ATi believed they found the problem and fixed it in drivers and said as much.

I don't OC the card at all though.

Back