5870-5970 Modified Cards, When Coming?

Bunkey

Weaksauce
When the 4870 and 4870X2 came out, I experienced the overly noisy stock cooling, to me, unsatisfactory, setup and jumped to the cooling modified cards, two or more fans and opened to the case design, that followed some months after the first release. Its been some months, I believe, since the 5870 and 5970 have first hit the retailer selves and I haven't heard or seen any manufacturer making a mention or outright statement on releasing these video cards with a modified or improved cooling and fan noise solution? Is there any word, somewhere, on this happening, much less when?
If it isn't happening, why not?
Having moved to Windows 7 64 bit and not wanting to experience the expense of buying a couple of video cards over six to ten months like I did with the 4800 series, I am looking to buy my 5800, one time, with a modified version, I hope.

I over looked the Sapphire Vapor X ATI 5XXX cards, before my post, but after the reply here, I took another look. The review, I believe, on the OverClockersClub website was very favorable and said, the Vapor X cooling solution does lower temps a good bit, allows lower fan speed accordingly and the 5XXX cards are slightly overclocked stock with improved Sapphire components. But it has been commented, that the reviewed 5870 card is different from the retail unit. The review one had two power connections from the top side of the card and retail had it on the end of the card, which called some questions.
It is said, the 5XXX cards are improved, regarding fan noise to the 4XXX cards, but there is mention the 5XXX better or lower temps helping this, but pushing 5XXX cards past 50% and 70% fan speeds does produce a dominate fan noise in systems. And many of us, wish for a near silent system, under all operating conditions from average use or idle to game playing or high CPU usage functions, load. It may be starting for what I first asked about, by the current article here on the ASUS 5750 video card. I hope this moves to the 5870 and 5970 cards too, which are my purchasing targets.

A near silent solution for cutting-edge video card tech is simply not feasible. You can do drastic mods and cooling solutions with cash, but you still won't get near that kind of threshold.

I can sympathize with you, I'd love a silent computer even at peak gaming or processing times. I just don't think it's reasonable. You have to make some kind of sacrifice, whether it's sound, heat, or money (for a quieter higher model).

In the meantime, the vapor-x's are the biggest improvements to a factory installed cooler you. I'm hoping they'll be reasonably quiet for the performance (on the way to me now).

Accelero offers some aftermarket coolers, but when installing those you can risk your video card itself (sometimes they brick). Beyond that, more complicated aftermarket cooling solutions take more time, money, and maintenance.

defy, you are probably right on the noise issue. I have heard some pre-built or boxed stock units at idle, that were louder than my system in the same mode.
Prolima Tech has a just released GPU, video card cooler, the MK 13, which is huge and weighs some 555 grams. The cooler kit includes heats sinks for PCB components and the large GPU cooler and an expansion slot bracket for the fan(s) to mount on, 120 or 140 MM, you provide. Reviews say it properly secures to the video card and doesn't bend or flex the card. It fits the ATI 5XXX cards and hardware will be updated for future new releases of video cards, so it can be moved according. Reviews say it is a top rated VGA cooler, but very pricey, which is mitigated by the hardware mounting future proofing. Read reviews for details, little on Prolima Tech's website on it.

Id like to see a second gen reversion of either card with new bios and coolers. Maybe a quick refresh, same die but a few enhancments and no more problems at all for anyone, in any configuration.

I think the supply problem, not to many retail units has hurt the usual progress of the 5XXX video cards. I believe I recently read TCM or TSM(?), the company that supplies the GPUs on ATI 5XXX cards has improved production and overcome manufacturing issues and, or low yields, so these cards can get to volume on retail shelves. Soon? This should allow the video card companies to work on "one upmanship" in mods, that we are looking for.
I guess it is simply a game of patience and waiting for these developments and the hopes of the usual price drops over time. Add the consideration, that not much is happening product wise with DX11, games, and reality says, there is no urgent rush for now.

I dont think we'll see much in the way of modified 5970 cards since they already run at the power limit you can't really overclock them much and stay PCI-E2.0 certified, and the cooler is already spec'd up to handle 400W (+100w more than TDP) of power so it handles overclocking like a dream already.

5870 is a different story, I think there's already special editions of this card out on the market now, with different coolers etc.

I expect ATI will do a series refresh to meet Nvidias new cards, probably a 5890 which is clocked faster, to be honest the 5870s overclock quite well already so are good candidates for better stock coolers and simply pushing the same parts a bit harder.

Back