Israel Testing UAV Ambulance

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
The Israel Defense Force is testing a new UAV called the “Air-Mule” that's being used as an unmanned aerial ambulance for emergency evac. It's a pretty cool little vehicle that can pull injured people out of some tight spots that conventional aircraft can't reach. I wonder if the US has something like this.

Urban Aeronautics, the company producing the UAV, is one of the world's leading companies in the development of propellers which are installed inside the aircraft instead of outside. The advantage of this location of the propeller is that it allows the aircraft to carry out a wider range of operations in narrow places as well – as opposed to conventional airplanes and helicopters which can only operate in open areas.

Wow, I'd have to be pretty messed up to get on that, in other news +1 more post counts, at this rate I should be able to post in the hot deals forum in another 2.7 years.

Somehow I see this CAUSING injuries rather than helping save people

It's like playing a game, what so hard about it?
I think it would be more easy than actually being there because of all distraction and more....a dream job to be a person who control or play UAV :D

It's like playing a game, what so hard about it?
I think it would be more easy than actually being there because of all distraction and more....a dream job to be a person who control or play UAV :D

I would think it would dangerous for an unmanned aircraft transporting people because the pilot isn't sitting in the plane and it would be easier to go to fast or take a turn to fast causing intense g-force to be applied onto the passengers.

I would think it would dangerous for an unmanned aircraft transporting people because the pilot isn't sitting in the plane and it would be easier to go to fast or take a turn to fast causing intense g-force to be applied onto the passengers.

They have gauges for that, intense G's can cause issues with the hydraulics systems and then cause certain flight controls to go out...

They're gonna need testers to control and ride in that thing. I'd totally sign up to be a test passenger. Can't tell how many people it could hold just from the small picture in the article though.

Will the patients be strapped to the skids? :D

Will the patient have an ejection stretcher in case the joystick jockey screws the pooch? :D

Will the patients be strapped to the skids? :D

Will the patient have an ejection stretcher in case the joystick jockey screws the pooch? :D

lol I can imagine the worst kind of screw up.

"Missile incoming! Launch countermeasures!"

*Stretcher goes flying out the back of the UAV*

"Wrong button! You just launched the patient you idiot!"

That'd be tragic. I'm sure the eject button would be encased in glass though so the operator would have to slam his fist down in a dramatic manner to operate.

US will not see something like this for awhile... it will take 30 years and 90 trillion to develop what the israelis will do with 12mil and a year.

If they did have anything even close it would be military only. Otherwise you'd have people suing right and left even more than they did now. If someone died on the way to the hospital they'd sue even if it wasn't the vehicles fault. The manufacture would quickly go out of business.

Somehow I see this CAUSING injuries rather than helping save people

It eliminates the potential for further loss of life as a reason to delay (or defer) going after wounded. It should also get there and back faster, increasing the odds of survival.

does this include robot paramedics too? many times someone that needs an ambulance sure as hell isnt going to help themselves into a meat wagon.

does this include robot paramedics too? many times someone that needs an ambulance sure as hell isnt going to help themselves into a meat wagon.

It's a mule. You're not going to be doing surgery mid-flight but I expect some sensor and stabiliization equipment would be included.

You'd be surprised at how well received robot doctors (really, remote communication with medical personnel) and robotic surgery have become.

Back