Hacker Gets Record 13-Year Sentence for Hacking

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Hacker Max Ray Vision (yes, seriously) was sentenced to a prison term of 13 years and ordered to pay restitution of $27.5 million bucks for stealing credit card numbers and selling them. He also set the record for the longest sentence for hacking in US history, though Wired thinks this will be eclipsed by Albert Gonzalez next month.

Vision, who changed his name from Max Butler shortly before his arrest, ran an online forum for thousands of identity thieves called CardersMarket, where he sold credit card magstripe data to the underground for about $20 a card. He was caught with 1.8 million stolen credit card numbers belonging to a thousand different banks, who tallied the fraudulent charges on the cards at $86.4 million.

Looks like they gave him a discount on the restitution. Only has to pay back $15 per card versus the $20 he sold them for.

That doesnt mean he should have got less, just that murderers should get more.

This. Plus,
With credit for time served and good behavior, Vision could be released in December 2018.

His sentencing sounded like a love-in. I expect they're grooming him for a Fed job a la "Catch Me if You Can."

See O.J. Simpson or Robert Blake. Both guilty as hell but Californians (on whole) are so effin liberal they can't convict a murderer. Hell, they couldn't even convict Michael Jackson, the pedophile.

I'm guess in prison, he'll go by the name Max Ben Dover.

or
Ben Dover to Max or is it Bubba? :D

Hacking with malicious intent. dude should rot for the rest of his life.

from article said:
“I was quite impressed by the cooperation shown by Mr. Butler,” agreed U.S. District Judge Maurice Cohill Jr.

Dressed in orange jail clothes, the soft-spoken hacker said little at Friday’s hearing, which at times felt more like an awards ceremony than a sentencing. Vision’s lawyer, prosecutor and judge took turns praising the hacker for his computer skills, and his apparent remorse over his crimes.

“I have a lot of regrets, but I think my essential failing was that I lost touch with the accountability and responsibility that comes with being a member of society,” Vision wrote in a letter (.pdf) to the judge on Thursday.

“I’ve changed,” Vision said in court Friday.

“He’s a likable person,” said prosecutor Dembosky. “Almost wide-eyed and optimistic in his view of the world.”

:rolleyes:

The classic "I-got-caught-otherwise-I-would-not-do-anything-different-and-continue-do-commit-crime" line that the judge and jury tend to fall for.

Think about how many peoples lives this guy fucked up .... he got off easy going to prison. should be hung by his sack and stoned by his victoms.

Hacking with malicious intent. dude should rot for the rest of his life.

I'm sorry, but I must correct you.

"Dude should get a bullet between his eyes to end his life."

Send a clear message to all the other thieving bastards.

Hacker gets 13 years for hacking... Dante Stallworth gets 30 days for killing a man while drinking and driving.

Fair and balanced :rolleyes:

wtf you get less for murder over here!!!

See O.J. Simpson or Robert Blake. Both guilty as hell but Californians (on whole) are so effin liberal they can't convict a murderer. Hell, they couldn't even convict Michael Jackson, the pedophile.

I'm guess in prison, he'll go by the name Max Ben Dover.

Hacker gets 13 years for hacking... Dante Stallworth gets 30 days for killing a man while drinking and driving.

Fair and balanced :rolleyes:

Lol. This forum is pathetic. Every thread about hacker sentencing goes one of two ways:

Thread: "Hacker is let go/gets little time in jail"
Response: "WTF?!!! They should have shot him! Our judicial system is so fucked up..."

Thread: "Hacker gets lots of time in jail"
Response: "WTF?!!! Murders get thirty days! Our judicial system is so fucked up..."

Exactly what type of thread title would make you guys happy?

Also, WFT is this misconception that murderers usually get a few months to a few years in jail? I'm no expert on the statistics myself, but watching forensic shows on TV, those guys virtually always get life without parole or death. No exceptions.

Lol. This forum is pathetic. Every thread about hacker sentencing goes one of two ways:

Response: "WTF?!!! They should have shot him! Our judicial system is so fucked up..."

Response: "WTF?!!! Murders get thirty days! Our judicial system is so fucked up..."

Also, WFT is this misconception that murderers usually get a few months to a few years in jail? I'm no expert on the statistics myself, but watching forensic shows on TV, those guys virtually always get life without parole or death. No exceptions.

Apparently not, like i said. 30 days.

Im not saying the hacker didnt deserve it. I was merely stating that our judicial system is fucked up and isn't consistent. So get the sand out of your vag and move along now.

Apparently not, like i said. 30 days.

Im not saying the hacker didnt deserve it. I was merely stating that our judicial system is fucked up and isn't consistent. So get the sand out of your vag and move along now.

But had the thread title been the exact opposite, wouldn't you have said the same thing about the judicial system?

Exactly what type of headline would cause you to give the judicial system a nod? Don't be surprised that the judicial system looks fucked up to you. You've taken a perspective in which nothing they do will appear correct.

Unless you hold both the opinion that sentences for hacking should be shorter and sentences for murder should be longer. But the beginning of your post implies that this is not the case.

Also, do there exist real, hard numbers on court cases? I mean something like: average sentence for first-degree murder vs. manslaughter, percentage of cases involving preventable death charged as murder vs. manslaughter, percentage of cases ruling property owners liable for trespassers' injuries.

I hear so much about how fucked up the court system is, but I never hear any statistics to support that view. Arguments are never more than a few anecdotal cases, which as we all know mean nothing in a country that faces 12+ million civil (not including criminal) lawsuits every year.

Lighten up Francis.

Sincerely,
Sgt. Hulka

I'm sorry, but I must correct you.

"Dude should get a bullet between his eyes to end his life."

Send a clear message to all the other thieving bastards.

I don't like getting all death threaty, yeah "word". I hate that they even use the word hacker, it's such a broad term. These guys should be in the same vain as sex offender. They're very specifically ruining peoples lives and not some nameless corporation. Some poor smuck couldn't make his car payment that month because of this ass and even if the credit card company fixes it couldve been too late.

Also, do there exist real, hard numbers on court cases? I mean something like: average sentence for first-degree murder vs. manslaughter, percentage of cases involving preventable death charged as murder vs. manslaughter, percentage of cases ruling property owners liable for trespassers' injuries.

I hear so much about how fucked up the court system is, but I never hear any statistics to support that view. Arguments are never more than a few anecdotal cases, which as we all know mean nothing in a country that faces 12+ million civil (not including criminal) lawsuits every year.

A quick Google search will tell you that average actual time served for murder in the U.S. is something like 15 years. Doesn't take into account all the 'flavours,' but does include early release for good behaviour. It would also include convicts who died in prison.

most murders get dropped down to man slaughter, or 2nd-3rd degree murder. 15-25 years seems about the average for killing someone.

Back