AMD Gray Screen of DEATH 10.2 Driver Poll

Did 10.2 take care of your GSOD issues?

• Yes, fixed.

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • No, still problems.

Votes: 31 13.1%
  • Still have GSOD issues, but not as bad.

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • Have not gamed long enough to know, but have not seen them back yet.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • Have never had GSOD problems...ever.

Votes: 163 69.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Did the 10.2 drivers solve your problems with GSOD?

If not, please post here with system specs and OS specs. Thanks.

Also please tell whether or not you have previously had NVIDIA drivers installed on your machine, and if you "cleaned" them off with a 3rd party program or just uninstalled them or did nothing.

If you have voted, "No, still problems," please PM me and let me know who you are. I have talked to AMD and the company may want to work directly with you on this issue.

Last edited:
Never had a problem with this 5870. My old 5850 had some issues on 9.12, but they cleared up in 10.1.

I currently have Nvidia 191.something or other drivers on here for PhysX support.

Clean install of Windows 7 when I switched from 280GTX to HD5870, no Nvidia drivers were left in my system. Bought the MSI HD5870 at launch. I've had the GSOD maybe a dozen times since I got it, always during gaming - COD MW2, Crysis, etc. Since the 10.1 HF with the HD5870 fix I've not had a problem. Installed the 10.2s last night and still haven't had an issue.

All specs are in my sig.

Kyle it was found to be a timing issue with the memory if my memory serves me right - it had nothing to do with Nvidia drivers interferring with the OS.

Last edited:
I think the issue is much more prevalent in the 5xxx series... never heard anything with a 4xxx get the GSOD.

I haven't ever had a grey screen. I have had my screen go black and everything freeze momentarily, coming back and running just fine again (only while gaming) but that only started happening when I installed 10.1. With 10.2, I haven't seen it yet, but I've not played enough to really know if its gone or not. I'm running a 4870.

I never got a GSOD but I did get a black screen of death with the 10.1 drivers so I rolled back to 9.12HF. Played a bit with 10.2 last night and didn't run into any issues.

Amost 2 months use between 2 different 5870's + multiple driver releases and I'm happy to say I've never experienced a grey screen or any other driver issue.

I don't use driversweeping programs.

Running a 5870, never had the GSOD with the 9.12 ,10.1 or or the 10.2 drivers.
I came from a GTX 260 originaly and just did an uninstall without driver cleaner or any other program, then rebooted and installed the ATI drivers .
Since then I have just installed the newer ones right over the older ones.

My specs are
Asus Rampage X48, [email protected], 8Gb Corsair PC8500 ,Powercolor 5870@ 950/1300 on Win 7X64

I have been having the GSOD issues for months on my 5770. I bitched a lot on the ATI forums, and actually got banned (without warning! :'<)

Anyways, I got 10.2 installed yesterday, still doing testing, i'll let ya know!

It's funny though, when 10.2 came out, I checked the release notes and they still said the GSOD issue was Known but not Fixed. The same thing was said when 10.1 came out. I contacted @catalystmaker on Twitter and he informed me that it was a mistake and they'd be editing those release notes shortly, as 10.2 did actually fix (or is supposed to fix) the GSOD/vertical bar problem.

Never had any with my gaming rig with a 4890, or on my HTPC which has a 4350. Both are running Win 7, Ultimate on the 4890, HP on the 4350. The HTPC did have an Nvidia card up until October, when I changed cards I just uninstalled all Nvidia drivers via control panel and installed the ATI drivers.

Kyle it was found to be a timing issue with the memory if my memory serves me right - it had nothing to do with Nvidia drivers interferring with the OS.
It could very well be ATI asking that. I doubt this poll is just because Kyle is curious.

I had it, sent my card back to XFX, got a new one, and have never seen the gray screen since.

Radeon 5770 generation 1 (Batman cooler, ASUS model 1gig) no previously installed Nv drivers, Win7x64 HomePrem retail installed on the day of release. Suffered at least seven cases of the GSOD (vertical colour columns on grey background in this case) since purchase just after the 5770 got here, seemingly randomly (browsing, movies, 3D gaming, 2D gaming, just idling!). Nothing's gone wrong since 10.2 but I think it's too early to say just yet - I'll add my vote after having run these for a week.

(Have had PhysX runtimes installed from some game, my conspiracy-theory buddy :cool: )

i only had the GSOD issue twice over the course of a month in a half. the ATI hotfix fixed it for me. I voted "havent tried enough to know" since i havent really used 10.2 much

I had the prob a few times with my xfire 5870s. This is a fresh OS install since I've had the ATI cards and never had NV drivers loaded to it. Haven't had the prob since I installed 10.2, but that's not saying much since I only got the GSOD a few times since buying the cards back in the fall.

Rig specs in sig.

4890 Crossfire setup here, never had the issue, upgraded to 10.2, still no issues. Whew.

Never had any problems with a 4870x2. Thought I don't know if that was an affected card or not.

Guys - this isnt a problem with anything other than 5xxx series. It does not affect 48xx series.

Guys - this isnt a problem with anything other than 5xxx series. It does not affect 48xx series.

I had them on my 4870 and someone I know had them on her 4850. It used to affect the 48XX I don't know if it does anymore. I my grey screens with my 4870 when I had it in stopped a loooong time ago.

Yep, I thought it was affecting only 5xxx series, but since Steve asked for 4xxx series input as well, I've got to say that with 9.12, 10.1, my 4850x2 2GB has not been grey screening at all. So far have not played enough with 10.2 to make any conclusions.

System: Windows 7 x64, Q6600, P35 chipset, 8GB DDR2.

Ya know what IS strange is the drivers went in fine but now I am having craptastic packet loss? Related or just wonderful time for my nic to start dying?

Only game I've tried at this point in time is Dragon Age and so far so good. I'll try Borderlands and ME 2 tonight and if they both work more than 5 minutes I'll be happy. 4890 with all sorts of problems before this... enough to make me swear to but a Fermi when they are released.

Voted: Have not gamed long enough to know, but have not seen them back yet.

Wrong. I've had no end of problems on my 4890 and occasionally on a 4850. There are people all over the web with 4 series cards that have the problem.

I am running Windows 7 x64 Pro with a Sapphire 5770 and have experienced the GSOD numerous times, although interestingly never while gaming. I've gotten gray, red, green, yellow, and blue stripes!

Since installing 10.2 I have not experienced it (yet). I will hold my vote and report any issues, but I used to get it once every couple of days, so I am optimistic that it is indeed fixed.

Ya know what IS strange is the drivers went in fine but now I am having craptastic packet loss? Related or just wonderful time for my nic to start dying?

Heh, I'm going to guess "unrelated" unless your NIC driver is DX/OGL accelerated, lol

No GSOD problems here. I've had a 4850 since launch, no GSOD. And I've had a 5870 since launch, no GSOD.

Never had GSOD but sometimes I got the "signal out of range" error on my monitor after it went to sleep with the last two drivers, so far I don't have the problem anymore with 10.2

Wrong. I've had no end of problems on my 4890 and occasionally on a 4850. There are people all over the web with 4 series cards that have the problem.

Well I havent seen AMD confirm any issues with anything other than 5xxx series cards and it was a memory timing issue that was occuring. Are we even sure its the exact same thing?

"Company spokesman Dave Erskine has stated that "only a small number of ATI Radeon HD 5800 series and ATI Radeon HD 5700 series cards are exhibiting the behaviour" and promises that " the [Radeon] team is testing a driver hotfix and initial tests indicate that it resolves the issue."

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/02/01/amd-confirms-grey-screen-crash/1

Just sayin'

Don't think it affects the 4xxx series i've never seen this issue. I did however have the Monitor not waking up from sleep with the 10.1 drivers. Which was fixed in the 10.2 drivers I updated to last night.

Best of luck to those still having this issue, and kudos to AMD for trying to deal directly with you guys.

I've definitely seen the gray screens but it never crashes the system, just the driver. I haven't had any problems with games but video acceleration can cause the problem somewhat reliably.

XFX 5870 XXX, still issues with 10.2

I was running a clean install, no Nvidia display drivers, on Windows 7 64-bit. It runs about 15-30 minutes in WoW before a GSOD every time I've tried to play, and a little longer in L4D and some other games. Doesn't seem to GSOD while playing Borderlands for some reason. I couldn't stand it anymore so I anti-static bagged it and swapped in my old 8800 just to play some games again. It was even crashing on video sites like YouTube.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back