FS: Rampage II Gene (OEM Edition) 1366 X58 Motherboard $145 Shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.

homerjr43

Gawd
NEW LOWER PRICE =$135 SHIPPED

This is a great deal on a elite 1366 x58 Motherboard. Supports up to 24GB of Ram

This is a working board pulled from a system and is in great condition...

This is the OEM Version of the Rampage II Gene please see the pics below...

It is the exact same PCB as the retail board but it is missing a few features. It Has 5 Internal Sata and 1 Esata. No IDE. and does not have the extra power and reset buttons on the bottom.

However this board is considered the one of the best enthusiast boards available.

002223437.jpg

Heat is under Homerjr43

A note to potential international buyers:
I am willing to ship internationally if terms are agreed upon however the price above only reflects domestic US shipping rates, I hope you understand that I will need to calculate costs for international shipping on an individual basis. Thanks!

Last edited:
that NB looks kinda weird, is that the original NB or is it missing pushpins or something...?...

ummm this board is missing ALL of the ROG setup and heatpipes. Looks like they were removed and a miss matched heatsink was installed on the NB and SB. i have this same board with the original hardware.

This is what its suppose to look like

http://www.hardwaresphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/asus-rampage-ii-gene-x58-matx-motherboard-zoom.jpg

that's what I thought, it certainly doesn't look right and leaving the mosfets bare doesn't seem like a good idea.........

I did see that its missing some USB headers and the start and reset buttons on the bottom. its also missing the IDE header. its the same board just missing alot of things.

I did see that its missing some USB headers and the start and reset buttons on the bottom. its also missing the IDE header. its the same board just missing alot of things.

maybe that's what he was trying to relay by saying it was OEM...? but OEM doesn't explain the missing NB and mosfet cooler assembly and I guess the SB too...

This is the board that comes with the Asus i7 computer I think. Which according to every review is just a toned down Rampage II Gene. I think people were able to overclock on the board just as well as the actual R2G, pretty nice deal :)

This is the board that comes with the Asus i7 computer I think. Which according to every review is just a toned down Rampage II Gene. I think people were able to overclock on the board just as well as the actual R2G, pretty nice deal :)

your right. You could always redress the board back up with the heatsinks and stuff and maybe have a good solderer put in some of the missing stuff if you really need it.

your right. You could always redress the board back up with the heatsinks and stuff and maybe have a good solderer put in some of the missing stuff if you really need it.

yeah, even with just adding heatsinks that fit it could be a good deal...

Myself and a friend had quite a bit of discussion on the topics you've all mentioned before posting this.
You all are correct. The Fact that this is called an "OEM edition" is an attempt to clear this all up. This board is coming out of an ASUS built machine and they evidently don't think that those people who buy pre-built machines need the extra features you all noticed are clearly missing probably because these types of people never open their boxes even once. I hope that makes things a bit more clear for you all.

• It should be noted that no user modifications have been performed to this board. All heatsinks & other differences from what you see on Newegg are directly from the manufacturer.
If a few heatsinks would help you make your decision I have some that I will include for free. It's not much and they are designed for GPU's but with a bit of care they will go a long way if needed.
The top are GPU RAM sinks and have a bit of sticky heat transfer tape on the back of them. The other is a GPU sink off an old ATI card that is aluminum and could easily be cut up to fit the mofsets or whatever else you want to cool.

[AA battery included for scale reference only]
heatsinks.jpg

What's the warranty? And who handles it? Normally with Asus you just call them directly, since this is an OEM board can you still do that?

Since it is a system pull warranty is kinda a tricky question the machine it self still has warranty left. However since the motherboard is not going to be with the machine I cannot guarantee that asus will honor the warranty. I will warranty against DOA. As mentioned before the board is from a working machine.

Last edited:
that's what I thought, it certainly doesn't look right and leaving the mosfets bare doesn't seem like a good idea.........

Like most other boards? It's an OEM board and not meant to be overclocked although I'm sure that it can be with some good cooling. Stock Asus chipset cooling is usually pretty bad anyways. At least it was on my P5Q Deluxe. I had to replace it anyways. A cheap pack or two of those Enzotech Mos-C1s would probably work better than the stock chipset cooling on the vrms and a CNB-R1 and CNB-S1L would definitely work better than the stock chipset cooling while looking better imo.

Still a damn sexy board.

Last edited:
Myself and a friend had quite a bit of discussion on the topics you've all mentioned before posting this.
You all are correct. The Fact that this is called an "OEM edition" is an attempt to clear this all up. This board is coming out of an ASUS built machine and they evidently don't think that those people who buy pre-built machines need the extra features you all noticed are clearly missing probably because these types of people never open their boxes even once. I hope that makes things a bit more clear for you all.

• It should be noted that no user modifications have been performed to this board. All heatsinks & other differences from what you see on Newegg are directly from the manufacturer.
If a few heatsinks would help you make your decision I have some that I will include for free. It's not much and they are designed for GPU's but with a bit of care they will go a long way if needed.
The top are GPU RAM sinks and have a bit of sticky heat transfer tape on the back of them. The other is a GPU sink off an old ATI card that is aluminum and could easily be cut up to fit the mofsets or whatever else you want to cool.

[AA battery included for scale reference only]
heatsinks.jpg

Never the less tho, this is a GREAT board and i love mine! it will overclock with ease and i wouldnt have another mATX X58 board. Im loving the SLI/CROSSFIRE support on here

How well does this board overclock for you?

Curious...

I have not yet tried to OC. Been busy w/ work and school and the i7 has been fast enough for my everyday needs. As stated before (to the best that I can tell) this board has it where it counts. If you need a rundown of what it can do (with the limited hardware I have to pair it with) I might be able to squeeze in a few hours to run a battery of tests this weekend.

I have not yet tried to OC. Been busy w/ work and school and the i7 has been fast enough for my everyday needs. As stated before (to the best that I can tell) this board has it where it counts. If you need a rundown of what it can do (with the limited hardware I have to pair it with) I might be able to squeeze in a few hours to run a battery of tests this weekend.

I think that would help you sell it. Others, Like myself, could be skeptical that it would perform identical to a retail offering. In the past, most OEM boards are severely "neutered" compared to retail counterparts.

Does this take the standard Rampage II Gene retail bios?

Well, to answer your question...Asus offers a separate bios for this motherboard. But you can install and Rampage Bios on it with a small work around (here). If you buy the board I can email you the bios with the SLI support I already have the rom file downloaded. I do not have SLI so I did not load it, had no use for it.

Well gee Sir/Madam

you could send me the processor and I would be happy to test it for you. :D:D:D

Seriously though ASUS doesn't even list it as supported on their RAMPAGE II GENE Support list. Probably because that processor is not yet released.
------
minor rant: the internet needs a sarcasm font

I can't, that would be illegal.

Well, to answer your question...Asus offers a separate bios for this motherboard. But you can install and Rampage Bios on it with a small work around (here). If you buy the board I can email you the bios with the SLI support I already have the rom file downloaded. I do not have SLI so I did not load it, had no use for it.

do you have a link to the bios page? Perhaps I can look up the details of the bios and see if it will support the processor I intend to run.

Since Asus Support site is all search based it will not allow me to direct link you... Just go to asus support choose Desktop PC then choose Consumer and choose model CG5290 that will provide you with the official Bios. Remember this is x58 for the northbridge. So assuming asus will update it when the new chips come out. As of right now they do not show any support for any 6 core procs. Hope that helps!

i REALLY want this board. its missing all the stuff i dont want. :D too bad i dont have an i7 or any DDR3.

I have this board (the one OP is selling) and the the Rampage II GENE retail board *both* I can tell you guys that the OEM version overclocks damn good! Had it up to 4GHz on CPU, had 1333MHz CAS 9 Nanya RAM @ 1503 CAS 8 stable on stock bios 0701 (but stock HSF is garbage, so everyday OC is 3GHz ram @1503 still), however when I flashed to official RIIG bios I do get problem with NIC after a while.

Great price for the little engine that could :D

Bump..

I have this board (the one OP is selling) and the the Rampage II GENE retail board *both* I can tell you guys that the OEM version overclocks damn good! Had it up to 4GHz on CPU, had 1333MHz CAS 9 Nanya RAM @ 1503 CAS 8 stable on stock bios 0701 (but stock HSF is garbage, so everyday OC is 3GHz ram @1503 still), however when I flashed to official RIIG bios I do get problem with NIC after a while.

Great price for the little engine that could :D

What did you use to cool the MOSFET section?

In the past, I've used an Antec spot cool, now nothing as I have a very mild OC. North bridge temp runs hot on this board even the retail version. 52-55 idle with OEM board load high 60's (cheap case with side panel open) Not sure why but with Retail board unless you change TIM and add a small fan idle is in the low 60's but load does not go over 70 (with a decent case too) After mods on the retail board it runs high to mid 40's and loads in the 50's

-AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back