Custom 5970

That heatsink looks heavy but i bet it cools very well, wonder how much power the card uses. (no way it could be within spec 300w)

That heatsink looks heavy but i bet it cools very well, wonder how much power the card uses. (no way it could be within spec 300w)

If it's not within 300w, then it's outside PCIe spec and ATI would never build such a thing, but maybe ASUS would?

This should not draw any more power than the standard 294 watts unless it has massive voltage bumps to get the 20% increased clocks?

What's awesome is 37 dba compared to nearly 45 dba for the stock cooler. I hate the stock designs for noise. Blowers at one end to push everything out the back have always been noisier and not as good as cooling as a regular fan in the middle pushing air across two sides of a large heatpiped heatsink.

I thought the reason the 5970 was clocked lower was because of the 300w limit.

Eitherway that will be fast :)

o/c a stock and add water = ROG ARES
like to see the improvement of 4gb if any.

So basically they upped the clocks to 5870 levels (versus 5850 levels for the reference 5970 desgin) and slapped a 3 slot cooler on it.

o/c a stock and add water = ROG ARES
like to see the improvement of 4gb if any.

Eyefinity is where this will shine , tons of memory for AA/AF.

Pretty beastly card , I'd love one of those but I'm sure it'll cost a fortune.

"How did you rip the PCI-E slot?" "I hung 5 pounds of video card from it..." :D

I like the design a lot, just wonder how heavy that thing is and what they're doing with what appears at first glance to be a 'too much energy needed' scenario...

although if we've learned anything from MSI's Lightning series, military-grade components can help reduce the overall amount of power usage. On top of that, they're obviously not idiots at ASUS, so I'm sure they've taken the weight, power, heat, etc into account when designing the card already. At least I hope they would.

If it's not within 300w, then it's outside PCIe spec and ATI would never build such a thing, but maybe ASUS would?

This should not draw any more power than the standard 294 watts unless it has massive voltage bumps to get the 20% increased clocks?

What's awesome is 37 dba compared to nearly 45 dba for the stock cooler. I hate the stock designs for noise. Blowers at one end to push everything out the back have always been noisier and not as good as cooling as a regular fan in the middle pushing air across two sides of a large heatpiped heatsink.
2 things:

1. ASUS Mars was above PCI sig and ignored it
2. These like Mars are limited edition something like only 1000 units hence they can ignore PCI sig limitation of 300w.

nice cooler but is it worth what they are asking for it?

4GB ram means no 32bit os for that thing lol :p (but I am sure someone will try it though) :p

4GB ram means no 32bit os for that thing lol :p (but I am sure someone will try it though) :p

Maybe that'll be what everyone finally needs to completely max GTA4 and 1920x1200 or higher resolution.

Even if you've got a 1GB 5850 or similar card you really shouldn't be running a 32bit os. Right from the start you're limiting yourself to <3GB.

Even if you've got a 1GB 5850 or similar card you really shouldn't be running a 32bit os. Right from the start you're limiting yourself to <3GB.

Not so. It is a popular misconception that the amount of VRAM on a video card directly subtracts from the available system RAM, but that isn't accurate. The amount of RAM reserved for video cards now is 256mb. So even if you have a 1GB 5850, it only reserves 256mb of system addressable space. So a 4GB 5970 would reserve 512mb of address space (2x256mb).

ive always been a fan of nvidia, but with the coolness look of it and a decent performance boost, this is amazing!

The pcie spec doesn't matter much at all. Thats just if you want power from the motherboard. Its unlimited if they use the pcie power connectors. Everyone will need good ventilation for the card as its outflow is inside the case it seems like.

Not so. It is a popular misconception that the amount of VRAM on a video card directly subtracts from the available system RAM, but that isn't accurate. The amount of RAM reserved for video cards now is 256mb. So even if you have a 1GB 5850, it only reserves 256mb of system addressable space. So a 4GB 5970 would reserve 512mb of address space (2x256mb).

Do you have a source for this? I'm not trying to imply that you're wrong, I'm just curious about it and my google-fu is failing me

The pcie spec doesn't matter much at all. Thats just if you want power from the motherboard. Its unlimited if they use the pcie power connectors. Everyone will need good ventilation for the card as its outflow is inside the case it seems like.

Ha, no. You can only put 75W through a PCI-E 2.0 connector. 300W is the total power specification for a single card.

pci spec doesnt matter to much to AIB. this is rated at 375W ? but you can always draw more if you have a good PSU.

pci spec doesnt matter to much to AIB. this is rated at 375W ? but you can always draw more if you have a good PSU.

Yep, as long as you deliver the power direct from the PSU the PCI-E 2.0 Spec is meaningless.

Back