Microcenter has the I7 930 for $199

It's $229 now, thanks for the heads up. (I am having a friend pick one up for me.)

Damnit! I hate MC. Simply for not having a store locally. The bitterness...it burns. :D

Might get one of these when the price drops below $200.

Is the difference between the 920 and 930 substantial or incremental?

Not a bad deal if you have a Microcenter in the area. It appears to be in-store only:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0331303

The I7 920 is still just $199, so this is just a warm deal for those that wanted the extra multiplier.

It's $229 now. I think I'll go pick one up today. I want to see if the extra multiplier will help me get more clocks than my 920.

And BTW, the those looking to overclock. You want batch code 3001A187. The others aren't that great, from what others are saying.

Last edited:
It's $229 now. I think I'll go pick one up today. I want to see if the extra multiplier will help me get more clocks than my 920.

And BTW, the those looking to overclock. You want batch code 3001A187. The others aren't that great, from what others are saying.

what if you take the multiplier down a click(so it's like a 920) and then OC?

aren't those chips just 920s that performed better so they have a 1x higher multiplier?

yah, but its typically easier to OC with a higher multiplier, since pushing a higher bclock is usually difficult.

yah, but its typically easier to OC with a higher multiplier, since pushing a higher bclock is usually difficult.

not a big deal with 1366, pretty much any x58 mobo can hit 200bclk, and even with 21x of 920 it's 4.2ghz, and after that temp becomes much more of an issue than bclk.

not a big deal with 1366, pretty much any x58 mobo can hit 200bclk, and even with 21x of 920 it's 4.2ghz, and after that temp becomes much more of an issue than bclk.

Yeah, my mobo poops out around 212+ on the BCLK. So I thought a 930 would help me get closer to 4.4-4.5 if I played things right.

Sadly, the Columbus Microcenter only had 3001A124. I passed.

Isn't it a bit too early to say which batches are good OC'ers and which not. Not many of these have been sold and OC'ed yet. I'm only familiar with one thread that is starting to collect batch numbers and non hear on Hardforum.

I have my 930 up to 3.3GHz (150 bclk @ stock vcore) using the stock cooler. I use setfsb to find the range where you can easily OC and it crashes around 165 bclk. With the shitty cooling (100c load temp) I didn't really bother pushing it. I'll be picking up better cooling later today.

Just FYI, i purchase one 2 days ago for 229.
Microcenter in Overland Park KS.

Isn't it a bit too early to say which batches are good OC'ers and which not. Not many of these have been sold and OC'ed yet. I'm only familiar with one thread that is starting to collect batch numbers and non hear on Hardforum.

I have my 930 up to 3.3GHz (150 bclk @ stock vcore) using the stock cooler. I use setfsb to find the range where you can easily OC and it crashes around 165 bclk. With the shitty cooling (100c load temp) I didn't really bother pushing it. I'll be picking up better cooling later today.

Believe me. Data started being compiled the second these went on sale.

The reason 3001A187 are sought after is because it's the only group that is consistently getting 4.0 to 4.2 Ghz on stock volts, many times just on air cooling. That opens up the door to some really outstanding OC's. I realize, most people here aren't hardcore overclockers and don't care about getting anything more than an OK overclock. I'm more of the mindset that says "drain every last drop."

The other chips are clockable. They'll just require more a lot more volts to pass 4.0Ghz. This is what my current 920 is like. I can't complain about a 1500Mhz overclock. But at the same time, I have to realize it's also a pretty average chip.

I just got mine today, it's a 3001A124. I have been searching for comments on that stepping and the only I have seen are 4.5 GHz on air is common with a good cooler. Of course I did not want a big noisy hunking block in the case so I bought the Corsair H50 cooler, which should serve me well into 4+ GHz range with very little noise. Just waiting on MB and mem to get here to tell for sure.

Thoughts?

I dunno. About to test a 3001A126. Keeping my fingers crossed that 3001Axxx pretty much means good stuff.

I dunno. About to test a 3001A126. Keeping my fingers crossed that 3001Axxx pretty much means good stuff.

I think the fact they rated these at 2.8 GHz means they run cooler at higher speeds than the 920, so we may be in luck. Then again, I'm coming from an Opteron dual core, so anything will be better from my perspective, even at stock speeds.

I think the fact they rated these at 2.8 GHz means they run cooler at higher speeds than the 920, so we may be in luck. Then again, I'm coming from an Opteron dual core, so anything will be better from my perspective, even at stock speeds.

That's a bit of a stretch. I don't think they necessarily have to speed bin these any differently. Any 920 ever made would run 2.8 just fine at stock volts with stock cooling.

Keep us updated. I just picked up this same chip/batch, but I don't think I'll have it up and running for another week.:eek:

So glad I didnt open my box. Thank god my case hasnt come in yet.

Time to return and pricematch!

Holy shitballs. What's gotten into them? I figured they'd be raising the prices back to pre-sale levels, not dropping them further.

This sucks. Atlanta is my closest Microcenter and that's 2.5 hours away.

We who have MCs around can always buy one for someone....just give me some gas money.

Holy shitballs. What's gotten into them? I figured they'd be raising the prices back to pre-sale levels, not dropping them further.

They need to respond to the i7 930 + X58 motherboard combos that Fry's is selling. ;) $350 for the combo. It might be hard to get a good X58 for $150, but at least with MC you have the option of choosing your own board.

$200 for the 930 is great, but you might be better of saving the $20 and getting a 920 and spending on a better MB.

If you end up getting a 930 drop by the i7 930 OC'ing thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1502931

I would ship for free as long as you cover tax...and gas.

They need to respond to the i7 930 + X58 motherboard combos that Fry's is selling. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1502931

no they don't

They don't need to do anything about Fry's combos because those are for a limited time only, changing every week and usually sells out quick if its a very good deal.

Maybe they plan on selling the new 6 core AMD cpus as loss leaders?

I'm guessing they want to create buzz and get people into stores. They also know that the CPU purchase is the starting point for a major upgrade (CPU -> motherboard -> memory -> heatsink -> etc). You start with a $200 purchase and leave the store with a $700 system upgrade. I applaud them for a great sales strategy.

The point with Fry's is that I knew they would have a $350 deal sooner or later. Since I'm in no hurry to buy, I waited till a new deal was available. Another way to look at this is, how likely in the next 6 months will I be able to buy a $200 i7 930 + 150 X58 motherboard? At $250 for a 930 (old price), there is no way I would buy from MC because a cheap decent X58 motherboard is at least $180. Fry's sometime goes even further and sells the CPU at the same price as MC and throws in a free/cheap motherboard.

I love the competition and I have both Fry's and MC local so more power to both of them. Customer is king!!! I was being cheeky with the Fry's comment, I don't know if they compete that closely.

Damn... I went last week and picked mine up for 229 thinking the price was going to go back up.

A**holes!!!! Do they price adjust?

I bet they are trying to clear 920's from stock and will only carry 930's onward.

Of course, then why lower the price of both....?

I udpated the thread title to the new $199 price

Back