DIY triple monitor stand (my take on it)

candy76man

Weaksauce
After researching here and other places getting ideas I went ahead came up with my design and finished it today. It's not perfect but I think it turned out decent enough and will do the job intended.
I bought three Acer S231HL monitors.LED back lighting was a must have for me on this due to the power savings and hopefully longer life without dimming. I also required vesa mounts on back and a slim bezel at a decent price. These Acer monitors fit the bill nicely, one of the few that did at a reasonable price.

Anyway, pics of the mount I made are below, I'm mainly posting this to put out a few new ideas that I came up with for the standard pipe stand design. The pipe hangers are a nice addition I hadn't seen anyone else use as well as the electrical box covers that are the perfect size for 100mm vesa mounts. My pvc center pivot works but not ideally, the pipes sag slightly where they thread into the plastic pvc but I can rotate the monitor array without moving the base.

IMG_0270.jpg

The slight sag where the two pipes thread into pvc is why the two outer monitors sit slightly lower than the center.

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

Paint job got messed up where the pvc slides over the pipe, it's a very snug fit.

IMG_0271.jpg

Here you can see the electrical cover plate I used and how I attached it too the pipe hangers. The pipe hangers make it easy to move it side to side or tilt if needed but still hold it solid when they are tightened down.

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

and the finished product on my desk

I wish there were some kind of heavy duty hinge that was made to thread onto the pipe where the 45 degree joint is now, that would be ideal.

I ran all the power and hdmi cables through the 1 and 1/4 inch center pipe so no ugly mess of wires hanging down behind the monitors.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, I couldn't live with the sag (and alignment problems that resulted from it) caused by the pvc center cross piece so I replaced it with a steel T connector. I still really wanted to be able to route my wiring up through the central pipe so it would be out of site so I used a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder and cut the hole in the top of it (easier than I thought it would be:D). I lost the ability to easily adjust the height of the whole array but I can still pivot it left and right since I didn't snug down the T fitting all the way.

Here is the new T fitting with hole cut in top.
IMG_0292.jpg

And here is the final product with all three monitors at the same height parallel to each other. I'm very happy with it now so the project is officially done:D
IMG_0293.jpg

Thanks for the compliment Kyle, The Hardocp forum has a been an invaluable resource for me numerous times over the last 10 years or so since I added it to my favorites.:)

Last edited:
awesome!! what kind of graphics would i need to run 3 displays?

As long as you have at least two full length PCI-E slots on your mobo you just need two video cards, at least one of which supports dual DVI output, they don't even have to be the same model or brand.

The much more expensive way is If you have monitors that have display port inputs then you could get a single video card that can run as many as six DP monitors.

My motherboard (a gigabyte p35 dsl3) only has one full length pci slot, a real drag. So I think I'd be looking at a new video card that supports three monitors or upgrading my motherboard completely.

My motherboard (a gigabyte p35 dsl3) only has one full length pci slot, a real drag. So I think I'd be looking at a new video card that supports three monitors or upgrading my motherboard completely.

Yeah, that sucks. My video cards (Radeon HD5970) each have dual dvi outputs but they also have one displayport output as well so unless I'm mistaken (someone chime in if I am) I could use two dvi monitors and one displayport monitor to get three monitors on one card.

You would have to do some research on that though to make sure. But after the cost of a displayport monitor and the video card you may end up getting away cheaper just getting a new mobo with two pcie slots and a cheap second video card.

Wow, that's pretty badass for a homebrew, especially the cable routing. Awesome work man. :)

My only advice is to buy a ratpadz before you can see the floor through your desk where you mouse. :p

Wow, that's pretty badass for a homebrew, especially the cable routing. Awesome work man. :)

My only advice is to buy a ratpadz before you can see the floor through your desk where you mouse. :p

lol, thanks. I have plans to make a new top for my desk eventually but considering I have had this desk for about 15 years now and the top is just that thin paper laminate stuff it's really done quite well:D

Kudos ! Very impressive, in one of your posts you mention you would prefer HD hinges rather than the 45 degree fittings, do you find the angle of the side monitors unacceptable ?

All that’s missing for your now is to sit down and make a drawing with measurements of your design, the whole nine yards, then get that onto a PDF file for downloading and printing. Not to suggest you put it online, your call, but to keep for future use. Look, you got something good going here I think, so don't stop. Keep at it and redefine the design until you are 100% happy with it.

Looks good so far though, really nice.

Kudos ! Very impressive, in one of your posts you mention you would prefer HD hinges rather than the 45 degree fittings, do you find the angle of the side monitors unacceptable ?

Actually for my uses ( a corner desk) the 45 degree angles are perfect, but it would be nice to be able to easily adjust it as needed. I little less angle would minimize color shifts on the two side monitors when I'm leaning back in my chair. You can get 22 and 1/2 degree pipe fittings but since I use a corner desk it wouldn't work for me.

A simple round steel hinge with female threaded ends to thread onto the 3/4 inch pipe would be ideal but I have never seen anything like that, it would have to be custom machined or cast.

Last edited:
All that’s missing for your now is to sit down and make a drawing with measurements of your design, the whole nine yards, then get that onto a PDF file for downloading and printing. Not to suggest you put it online, your call, but to keep for future use. Look, you got something good going here I think, so don't stop. Keep at it and redefine the design until you are 100% happy with it.

Looks good so far though, really nice.

Thanks:), I just posted it here to share a few ideas I came up with to improve the basic pipe stand. There are a few other people in this forum that have posted their versions of the pipe stand and I got some ideas from their posts and added some of my own improvements for the next person who is looking to build a multi monitor stand.
Retail triple monitor stands that can accommodate anything larger than 20 inch monitors run $300 plus and I have maybe 70 bucks into the one I made so at the end of the day I was just trying to save money. The three monitors cost enough by themselves:eek:

I signed up to this forum just to say, congrats on your setup.
I've been looking around for DIY ideas for tripple monitor stands as well, and took all the best ideas from all of them. and i have to say, your setup has all the best features. the only difference with mine is i went all the way to the floor because it's a glass table.
I have tripple acer 27" displays.
here is a link to the current setup, prior to creating my stand, i'll add some pics this weekend.
Tripple Monitor Setup Video-click here(.mov)
since i set it up my wife keeps hogging my pc, even though i made her a super machine too, lol.
from the video you notice my dilema, i can't screw the stand into my desk, so i went all the way to the floor, i used 40"x1" black pipe to a flange that i will secure the base with.

Last edited:
cool deal, glad I could give you some ideas. Mine has worked out great so far. gives me a lot more room on my desk by getting rid of the monitor stands.

3 27" monitors huh, that's pretty sweet:eek:

Very nice candyman! Love the grinding work on the Tfitting, very clean.

like it. I spent 300 bones to have my monitors do that. Curious though, because you capped the top with the opening for the wires, didn't you limit your ability to modify the height of your monitors? In the first pic, you still had an opening and room to move. Is this something you considered? You can go lower of course and I suspect with your setup, that's the only direction you would need to go. Once u change desks however....

Don't get me wrong, I love what you have done and I suspect you have inspired plenty of members here with your idea. Props to you!!!

Last edited:
. . . because you capped the top with the opening for the wires, didn't you limit your ability to modify the height of your monitors?

He mentioned this in his post,

candy76man said:
I lost the ability to easily adjust the height of the whole array but I can still pivot it left and right since I didn't snug down the T fitting all the way.

I imagine if he ever needed to adjust the height in the future, all he'd need to do is get a different length galvanized nipple to thread into the base and tee fitting.

Great setup. I'm considering doing something like this. Perhaps the only feature I'd find lacking in this design is the fixed angle of the peripheral monitors, though as you've mentioned that might be somewhat difficult to incorporate. I've got 22" monitors, and I think 45 degrees might be a little more than I want, though I don't know if 22.5 would be enough. Still, great job and thanks for sharing.

like it. I spent 300 bones to have my monitors do that. Curious though, because you capped the top with the opening for the wires, didn't you limit your ability to modify the height of your monitors? In the first pic, you still had an opening and room to move. Is this something you considered? You can go lower of course and I suspect with your setup, that's the only direction you would need to go. Once u change desks however....

Don't get me wrong, I love what you have done and I suspect you have inspired plenty of members here with your idea. Props to you!!!

As taikero mentioned, I would need to get a different length threaded pipe if I needed a different height for the whole array (the hole I cut in top of the T fitting is only for the wiring to pass through), however if you think about it, how often do you get a new desk? I've had mine for over 15 years now and I'll likely use the next one I buy that long so the height is not something I need to adjust constantly. It would be nice to be able to adjust the height easily and that was my original plan but it just didn't work out like I hoped so I had to modify it.

Excellent job on the build candy76man! Thanks for posting it for others to brain storm with. :D

ok it took all of about one day to finish. one thing i found out quick in the construction is that a tac of weld on the joints goes a long way, i was all done when one arm drooped down and monitor hit the table, i was not a happy camper so i did a quick weld on all the joints and that didn't happen again. i forgot that 3 27" monitors adds some extra weight, lol.

here is the bracket i made for my center monitor. because of the T fitting, i could not connect directly to the monitor mount, quick weld and a powder coat to make it black, and i was all set.
photo6.JPG

here we are with a dry run, to see how everything looks, i have dozens of old monitors, so i removed the brackets from them and used that as my VESA mount. quick and simple since the holes were already there.
i only had to add the holes for the large bolts.
photo5.JPG

here are some brackets i made to fasten my stand to the desk, the added support is needed, the stand wanted to kick out on the bottom because of the weight at the top
the brackets i created were more than enough to keep everything straight.
photo3.JPG

closeup of the monitor connected to the stand
photo2.JPG

i didn't want speakers on the desk, so i just layed them on the bars. I will be creating mounts for these speakers same way as the monitors are mounted, with pipe hangers.
photo1.JPG

here is my final setup.
photo4.JPG

Last edited:
Nice man!

Did you ever consider cutting out a couple pieces of MDF, or oak/pine at a curved cut, and then add the brackets for the monitor?

i did think of mdf, but i figured steel pipe is the easier way to go. i'm not familiar with creating bends out of MDF, then strength is another obsticle, those 3 monitors at a 45 degree angle adds alot of weight at the tips. I'm glad you liked the setup, candy76man was my inspiration. i always wanted to do it but i would always say, "next time i'll do it" but after seeing candy's setup i figured it was time.

Turned out nice:)

Yeah, I really torqued all the pipes into the fittings and also used some blue loctite on the threads and that seemed to work for me but a spot of weld works too:D I need to get a small welding machine and learn some basic welding..thats a very usefull skill.

oh yea, anything with metal and welding goes hand in hand :)
the reason i had to use the weld is because what i forgot to mention is with my super human strength, i broke the pipes, lol.
i wanted to make sure they didn't rotate on me again so i tightened it so much it snapped off cleanly at the end of the threads. i was pissed, and confused on how i did that. so i took a slug and welded it to the inside of the pipe and connected both halfs. now it's one big piece, and much stronger.

i was going to use 22.5 degree elbows but i don't recommend it, because you will end up looking at the outside monitors on an angle.
when the side monitors are at 45 degrees, when you turn your head, each monitor is looking at you straight on, no angles.
this way the color is all uniform between all three since your looking at all three monitors the same way.

to answer twisted's question, my total package of parts cost $77 @ Home Depot.
as opposed to buying one online, would have cost over $500 because of the size of the monitors i am using. i can't wait to finish now, i have to work on the speaker mounts behind the monitor. i was going to have them on top of the monitors, but i like the idea of the sound eminating from behind the monitors.
i'll just use some more pipe hangers, they work wonders and they are strong, and look good.

Last edited:
For the Speakers Why don't you just Mount on wall thats what i did with my z5500's front and Back

your speakers look nice on the wall, mine are small and would look silly hanging up there.
not to mention they are angular so it would be hard to mount without a shelf for them to sit on. i could set up an old onkyo sterio, i got dozens, hook up some nice speakers and a sub. (since i build home automation systems, i keep upgrading and giving away my leftovers, lol)
yea i think i might do that, i have an old onkyo, and an old velodyne sub 10x12
with some bookshelf speakers that i could mount on the wall!!!!

damn, you keep comming up with new ideas now i have to keep building, lol

here is a better picture, more light
since i don't have a wooden desk, i don't have the luxury of running my cables behind the desk. i have to keep them strapped to the pipes or it just looks messy.
photo7.JPG

ok so i wanted speakers fast so i made this quick setup, i wanted to make it out of pvc, to make it lightweight, but i had a hard time securing the pipe hanger.
So I took same 1/2 inch pipe and made a quick stand. welded the pipe hanger to the pipe itself, then just turn upside down and Poof, instant speaker stands.
photo8.JPG

here they are attached to my monitor frame.
photo9.JPG

Here is the final result,
i know the speakers are SMALL compared to my setup, i will be investing in better speakers now.
photo10.JPG

a final idea i have now is creating a crossbar to go along the top, where the speakers are, create a type of 'rafter' where i can hang or secure any type of item,
either a light, speaker, usb adaptor, etc...

Last edited:
YOU CAN DO IT, trust me, it's not hard, you just need patients to make sure everything is aligned the way you want it. you don't have to weld, i just did that to make it secure. you can use loctite, or even a liquid weld. make a trip to home depot, they have all the parts you need, and they cut the pipe to the length you need.

the way i did it was to create a cardboard template first. measured it out, then went to home depot and had the guy cut the pipes, got the elbows and pipe hangers and hardware, and i was done.

as a quick finishing touch, i have bunch of old monitor stands, from previous screens, and they are full of good plastic parts, so i took one of those parts to finish out the pipe under the monitor, so it looks more 'professional'
photo12.JPG

not to get too off topic here but those white (now not so white :)) AL speakers were plenty loud for their price and time. Even today they probably sound great. I wish I never sold them because they were reliable, just not the prettiest speakers in the world.

not to get too off topic here but those white (now not so white :)) AL speakers were plenty loud for their price and time. Even today they probably sound great. I wish I never sold them because they were reliable, just not the prettiest speakers in the world.

I hear ya....I bought my Klipsch promedia 4.1 system about 12 years ago and still use them. There just isn't really much out there under 500 dollars that sounds better to me. The analog volume control has gotten a little touchy over the years but it still works and I'll just replace the potentiometer (I think that's what it's called?) when it finally becomes unusable.

yea i know, in the good ole days, they were white, now they are a nice shade of yellow/white, lol
i think i am going to spraypaint them black, then they would look new again.
they sound great, just don't look very nice on my monitors.
i've had them for 6+years and they always work.
i cut my speaker mounts down an inch so the speakers look like they are resting on the monitors, looks much nicer, so i decided to keep them :)

time to break out the spray paint, then i'll post pics of the new updated ALTEC's

Back