RAM on P67 Motherboards

Cobalt35

[H]ard|Gawd
Sorry if this has been asked before... I notice that the RAM slots on the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 board are 1.5 volts. Can I confirm that if I were to upgrade to this motherboard, my current RAM which is 1.65 volts would not be suitable... correct?

Thanks very much.

You can check the memory suitability list on the Gigabyte website, but most probably it'll be fine.

Sorry if this has been asked before... I notice that the RAM slots on the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 board are 1.5 volts. Can I confirm that if I were to upgrade to this motherboard, my current RAM which is 1.65 volts would not be suitable... correct?

Thanks very much.

That just means that the motherboard requires that the RAM gets autodetected as 1.5V from the SPD. And unlike Nehalem/Westmere, Sandy Bridge does not support XMP. Thus, any XMP memory can only be used at native JEDEC speeds on SB platforms.

That just means that the motherboard requires that the RAM gets autodetected as 1.5V from the SPD. And unlike Nehalem/Westmere, Sandy Bridge does not support XMP. Thus, any XMP memory can only be used at native JEDEC speeds on SB platforms.

At least some of them do support XMP, I think they just have problems with XMP profiles in existing RAM. From the Gigabyte UD4:

1. 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
* Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.
2. Dual channel memory architecture
3. Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
4. Support for non-ECC memory modules
5. Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

try to change the ram volt in the bios to 1.65v to match you ram
as well as the ram timing

I am using 4x2GB Patriot Sector 5 1.65v memory @ 1.5 volts in the Asus P8P67 PRO with no problems. It did not require any special customization from me.

I believe that your memory WILL be suitable.

I just ordered this Corsair 1600 RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-145-324&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2 anticipating buying a 2600K and probably an MSI P67-GD65 MB in a couple months. But now I see possible problems with "normal" memory like the OP mentioned. Should I RMA the memory when it arrives since I can't verify it'll work until the 30 day return has expired? I don't normally buy processor and motherboard upgrades over time for the very reason of verifying they'll work, but I thought I could check the memory in another system before I discovered the "Sandy Bridge" compatibility was more than just marketing. :(

I'm a bit curious about ram voltage as well. In the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe manual it says:

"According to Intel CPU spec, DIMM voltage below 1.65v is recommended to protect the CPU"

While they list higher then 1.65v memory as compatible.

Edit:
Ramguy at Corsair advice against 1.65v memory and higher:
Corsair forum admin Wired said:
Just talked with Ram Guy, don't go above 1.5v. That memory may or may not run @ spec @ 1.5v. Best to cancel that order and get something from the Vengeance series.
http://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?t=92356

Last edited:
ASUS says the XMS series with voltage 1.65 is compatable with there P67 according to there memory vendor list..
I plan on using my memory from my P55 board..

And this from Gigabyte list..This is 1.65v memory,its triple channel but its the same latency and specs as the 4 GB type,I see no reason it wont work..Im no expert though maybe someone else can chime in who knows,Id like to know for sure..

16C9 CORSAIR 2GB CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 DS ET

I can tell you on ASUS board there are no issues supporting 1.65 dimms as well as 1.5 and even low voltage kits down to 1.25.

Keep in mind though that if the dimms do not have a profile coded for P67 / Sandy Bridge you many need to manually define the parameters in the bios/uefi.

In most situation the memory will run with the jedec spec standard which will most like be 1333 cas 9 at 1.5

Hope this helps. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

I just ordered this Corsair 1600 RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-145-324&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2 anticipating buying a 2600K and probably an MSI P67-GD65 MB in a couple months. But now I see possible problems with "normal" memory like the OP mentioned. Should I RMA the memory when it arrives since I can't verify it'll work until the 30 day return has expired? I don't normally buy processor and motherboard upgrades over time for the very reason of verifying they'll work, but I thought I could check the memory in another system before I discovered the "Sandy Bridge" compatibility was more than just marketing. :(

I actually bought exactly what you did with my new build.

It works fine, but like Juan_Jose mentioned you'll need to set it up manually in the BIOS. It autodetects at POST at 1.5 and defaults it to a lower frequency if you don't set the speed of the RAM manually to run at the higher supported speeds.

I can tell you on ASUS board there are no issues supporting 1.65 dimms as well as 1.5 and even low voltage kits down to 1.25.

Keep in mind though that if the dimms do not have a profile coded for P67 / Sandy Bridge you many need to manually define the parameters in the bios/uefi.

In most situation the memory will run with the jedec spec standard which will most like be 1333 cas 9 at 1.5

I actually bought exactly what you did with my new build.

It works fine, but like Juan_Jose mentioned you'll need to set it up manually in the BIOS. It autodetects at POST at 1.5 and defaults it to a lower frequency if you don't set the speed of the RAM manually to run at the higher supported speeds.

That sounds promising. If all it takes is setting the timing manually I can live with that. It's just a risk because I won't get a board for another month or so (maybe later...tax refund time). If it's a pretty sure thing I'll keep it and cancel my RMA (and $15 restocking fee). Thanks to you both! :cool:

Does command rate make any difference any longer? I know it was important on DDR2, but I'm not familiar with DDR3. Didn't seem to make any difference in the AIDA64 benchmarks I ran, any reason to change it between 1T and 2T?

Hello Forceman 2[H]4U, 5.5 Years

Command Rate is still important but with the impressive refinement made to the IMC its effects are not what they used to be

Back