Wireless video card!

Interesting idea. However, I'm not even willing to suffer wireless networking, let alone wireless video. Call me a sceptic, but I can forsee issues with this...

Not too surprising I have a friend whos TV is hooked up through wireless HDMI.

LOL that is funny looking, but I'm glad to see Galaxy is on the forefront of new technology!

At first read of thread title, I was thinking of a graphics card that could operate outside of the computer... and maybe power a notebook or something. Come to think of it, is would this ever be possible? Even with a usb hook up or something?

$500? I'd maybe pay a $75 premium for this technology, but for $500 I can run HDMI through my walls.

Well not everyone is willing to drill and run cables through there walls or perhaps they live in an apartment where they aren't allowed period (like me).

The technology is suppose to be lag free (something like less than 1-5ms of lag) and is designed to work through structures and what have you.

No doubt its expensive as hell but its a huge step in the right direction.

Well not everyone is willing to drill and run cables through there walls or perhaps they live in an apartment where they aren't allowed period (like me).

The technology is suppose to be lag free (something like less than 1-5ms of lag) and is designed to work through structures and what have you.

No doubt its expensive as hell but its a huge step in the right direction.
I'm not saying it's not impressive, hell I'd love to have something like this for a media PC. But that cost is slightly prohibitive. Not that it's $500 per se, but that it's a $500 GTX 460..

I'm not saying it's not impressive, hell I'd love to have something like this for a media PC. But that cost is slightly prohibitive. Not that it's $500 per se, but that it's a $500 GTX 460..

Well its a brand new way to pair up technology and because of that its got an early adopters cost.

If this manages to sell decently they may end up offering it on better cards and perhaps cheaper overtime.

As for use with an HTPC a media extender can do most the functions you want for cheaper.

Very different. WHDI uses 5Ghz frequency at 40hz which is mostly unused and can stream at 1080p at 60hz through structures/walls and with very low latency.

That device you linked can only get up to the following :

Up to SXGA+ (1400x1050) resolution (WXSGA+ optional)

And that resolution is only under the best circumstances (or whatever they could achieve in lab conditions) so 720P is a more realistic goal.

And it likely has some not so great latency with it.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I might bite on this latter this year just because it appeals to my geek nature. It's very practical but too expensive. I'd like an adapter that I could use with any GPU, that I probably could spend $500 on.

Looks neat. Doesn't look like SLI will work though with those antenna's like that.

This is nearly useless for gaming as there will definitely be input lag, and may even have issues as an HTPC solution since the video and audio would be out of synch. If you can delay the audio from your receiver to synch up with the video it may work. In any case I hope there are early adopting nerds out there with enough money to waste to pay the entry costs so that this technology can be perfected.

Why wouldn't single monitor SLI work? You'll be capped to 60 FPS however. You only need one of these and can pair it with any standard 460.

Why wouldn't single monitor SLI work? You'll be capped to 60 FPS however. You only need one of these and can pair it with any standard 460.

I would assume the same.

Also is it me or does it look like a busted metal spider with one side of its legs.?

Also they need more than just one game to go with that.......this is a first generation card.

I've always wondered why they never did this years ago, great idea.

This is nearly useless for gaming as there will definitely be input lag, and may even have issues as an HTPC solution since the video and audio would be out of synch. If you can delay the audio from your receiver to synch up with the video it may work. In any case I hope there are early adopting nerds out there with enough money to waste to pay the entry costs so that this technology can be perfected.

You would be wrong about the latency :

Can you give some of the key features for WHDI?

Wireless transmission of uncompressed 1080p 60Hz
Range of 100 feet and through walls
Practically no latency - less than 1 millisecond
Low power modes for battery operated devices.
The WHDI specification incorporates a unique wireless video-modem approach that maintains superb video quality and robustness. In noisy wireless conditions where other wireless technologies would severely degrade, WHDI-enabled products maintain a robust link with virtually no loss of visual quality.

Unless you were using a terrible PC monitor / TV with a shit load of input latency and even then its extremely unlikely you would notice 1-5 ms latency. This isn't the same exact kind of wireless technology you get with your router.

Galaxy seems like an intelligent company so why would they take the risk of releasing a video card aimed at gamers with this WHDI technology at a price premium and it ends up ultra laggy?

Last edited:
[H] review please? Maybe not this specific product, but something covering "wireless video standards."

Great idea though.

I'm sure latency is fine.

The questions is however: does the signal remain uncompressed?

Very cool idea. I can see where this would be a good product for some people. I would possibly buy one but not at that price.

Maybe sell an individual device that has the ability to attach to your already existing graphic card.

I'm sure latency is fine.

The questions is however: does the signal remain uncompressed?

Based on the FAQ , yes it does .. it leaves uncompressed from the video card and is received/processed uncompressed to the TV. Pretty sure the external box just receives and decodes signal back into native HDMI form.

Edit : There is an external box that uses WHDI and can do 1080p at 60hz however at that resolution and refresh its only at 30 feet and line of sight :

http://www.brite-view.com/hdelight.php

[H]ard really needs to review the Galaxy card though.

Last edited:
IIRC Kyle has one of these cards. He mentioned having a wireless setup a while back, and I know that [H] and Galaxy seem pretty tight.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It says it supports sli and 3d vision surround on the newegg.

How about two wireless cards running in landscape or several normal 460's SLI'd with the output through the wireless. I think if the output is the only point of wireless than a pretty cool setup could be figured out. Dunno, [H] review requested!

Very different. WHDI uses 5Ghz frequency at 40hz which is mostly unused and can stream at 1080p at 60hz through structures/walls and with very low latency.

That device you linked can only get up to the following :

And that resolution is only under the best circumstances (or whatever they could achieve in lab conditions) so 720P is a more realistic goal.

And it likely has some not so great latency with it.

we use several of the the Atlona AT-HDAIR models at work, great tool, just pop the little USB stick in your pc and suddenly everyone can be looking at a TV or projected image of your PC

same thing in white basically....it's just a wireless HDMI connection. Yes it is limited to 720p, however i have not seen any perceptible lag, it's very good for 720p content IMO

$500? I'd maybe pay a $75 premium for this technology, but for $500 I can run HDMI through my walls.

if you never plan to move sure, or even move things around in your house sure.......most people i know even if they stay in a house for 5+ years will end up rearranging room setups at least once....personally, for 720p content, which is fine for your 42" or smaller sets anyways, that USB device i mention above is more than adequate

1080p is for a dedicated 55" + HDTV setup which will not be moved, in which case i would prefer wired myself

we use several of the the Atlona AT-HDAIR models at work, great tool, just pop the little USB stick in your pc and suddenly everyone can be looking at a TV or projected image of your PC

same thing in white basically....it's just a wireless HDMI connection. Yes it is limited to 720p, however i have not seen any perceptible lag, it's very good for 720p content IMO

if you never plan to move sure, or even move things around in your house sure.......most people i know even if they stay in a house for 5+ years will end up rearranging room setups at least once....personally, for 720p content, which is fine for your 42" or smaller sets anyways, that USB device i mention above is more than adequate

1080p is for a dedicated 55" + HDTV setup which will not be moved, in which case i would prefer wired myself
I have a wall mounted TV and wall mounted 7.1 home theatre setup.. it's not moving! lol

Micro Center by me has one in stock I may buy it and try it out. I live in an apartment complex so there is plenty of radio noise and walls to make a good test of it.

Will post my little review if thats what I end up doing.

Back