Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 vs Corsair SP2500: a subjective comparison

Psoriac

Weaksauce
I recently decided to upgrade my PC sound "system" from my going-on-10-years-old Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000, a 4.1 setup which I had been using in a 2.1 configuration with only the front satellites. A friend of mine has owned the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 for the past several years, and I'd always liked how they sounded when I was over, so last Tuesday I went to Best Buy and picked up a set. Wouldn't you know it, on Wednesday the [H] posts up their review of the Corsair SP2500. Being a longtime Corsair fan, and since the review was so favorable, I decided to pick up a set from Fry's and do a side by side comparison. Here is that review, as promised in the Corsair thread.

Disclaimer
This review is a subjective review, and is only meant to explain my personal observations about these speakers. Your listening conditions, taste in music (feel free to make fun of mine :) ), and EQ balance preferences are likely very different from mine and will affect which one is best for you.

TL;DR
Both have very good bass performance. If you like to crank your sound up LOUD, the Corsairs are far and away your best choice. If, however, you tend to listen at low to moderate volumes, it's a little fuzzier depending on what kind of music you listen to. Music that involves a lot of mid frequencies (2kHz - 4kHz), especially female vocals, strongly favor the Klipsch; music that involves a lot of high frequencies (8kHz+) or lots of instruments at the same time favor the Corsairs.

Overall, the Klipsch tend to sound a little damped, like music being performed in a well insulated room, while the Corsairs sound bright but slightly hollow, with a weird resonance that can sometimes be harsh. This mostly matches what they found in the 5 speaker roundup thread (just read the first post, ignore the rest of the noise in that thread). For myself, while I'm not 100% happy with the Klipsch, the Corsairs will be getting returned this weekend; they simply aren't $100+ better than the Klipsch.

The Control Pod
Before I get started on the detailed review, I would like to point out some issues with the control pod that I experienced. The first, which I'm very surprised wasn't mentioned in the review, is that the volume settings are discrete, meaning that you can step between two volume levels but not anywhere in between. This contrasts with the Klipsch, which have true analog volume knobs which let you fine tune the volume however you like.

The other issue I encountered is that the dial on the control pod is VERY inconsistent. Sometimes a rotation of a quarter turn will only budge the volume by 1 bar, while other times just barely touching it will change it by as much as 2 bars. Even going up one bar and back down one bar can require different amounts of rotation right then left. Maybe I have a bad sensor, or maybe this can be fixed in firmware, but the end result is that you can never be sure how much you will change the volume by when turning the knob, which makes it impossible to intuitively change the volume with a twist.

Hissssss
Another issue I noticed with the Corsairs is that even with the volume turned completely down to 0 bars, and even muted, there is a light hiss from the speakers, though granted you have to be pretty close and in a quiet room to hear it. The Klipsch have no audible hiss until almost 90% of full volume. I can't help but think that this may be contributing to what I hear as the "weird resonance" in my listening.

Setup
As I listen to a lot of music while working or gaming on my computer, testing was done solely using mp3s that were encoded myself from original CDs or purchased from AmazonMP3 and iTunes. Most are VBR encoded using winLAME with High/Quality 0/Standard, the rest are 256kbps fixed. Playback was using Winamp 5.601 on Windows 7 Pro x64.

The speakers were driven by an ASUS Xonar DX (pci-e) using analog out. A Y-splitter was used to drive both speakers simultaneously so that I could switch between them on demand between and during songs. I also did limited testing with one speaker from each set active (Klipsch R, Corsair L) together, adjusting L/R balance back and forth.

Audio Center was configured as 2 Channels, PCM 44.1KHz, 2 Speakers, volume at 50%, all other options disabled (no Effect, KARAOKE off, FlexBass off, AEC disabled, VocalFX disabled, no DSP Mode).

In the Corsair control pod menu, program was set to NONE and EQ was set to REFERENCE. The AUX1 input on the subwoofer was used.

I tried to match volume and subwoofer levels as best I could, at my normal listening volume - this resulted in the following:
Klipsch: subwoofer knob 45 degrees CW, volume knob 90 degrees CW.
Corsair: subwoofer set to 13 bars, volume set to 11 bars.
Since that may be a little unclear, I've made these two images to illustrate:
pIpMh.gif
MTGiB.gif

The speakers were positioned on either side of my monitor - from the middle of one speaker to the middle of the other this measured 28", and from the monitor front to my body this measured 30". Speakers were turned inwards to face me squarely. The built-in stands on the Klipsch were used, and the included stands for the Corsair were used to point them up slightly.

Using this webpage to test my hearing on both sets of speakers, I can hear the 17kHz tone clearly, can barely hear the 18kHz tone, and cannot hear the 19kHz tone at all even with the volume at full. I will take it on faith that both speakers can actually play a 19kHz tone. :p

The Review
To elaborate on what I said in the TL;DR above, music that involves a lot of mid frequencies and female vocals strongly favor the Klipsch. They just sounded more natural and pleasing to my ear. On the Corsairs such songs tended to be a little harsh and have a strange resonance that I disliked. The Corsairs had a definite advantage in high frequencies though, playing them clearly, while the Klipsch tended to have a hard time making them heard.

In terms of overall characteristics, the Klipsch sound damped or muted as compared to the Corsairs. The Corsairs are brighter, with a stronger treble and seem to reproduce some frequencies more loudly which, while making everything distinct and easy to hear, also had the effect of making some songs sound like a TV commercial. Prolonged listening (in the two-hour+ range) was a little fatiguing.

For bass reproduction, while both speakers were excellent, I found the Corsairs to be better in some situations: where the Klipsch can be "thumpy", the Corsairs tend to be a little smoother and more pleasant. In my opinion this is probably due to the fact that the Klipsch satellites will still play some low frequency sounds even with the subwoofer disabled, while the Corsairs seem to "do the right thing" with the subwoofer turned down.

Overall, I preferred the Klipsch over the Corsairs. This isn't because they are so much better than the Corsairs, but rather because they are less bad at doing the things I care about. The sonic characteristics of the Corsairs being somewhat brighter and slightly hollow sounding overall, and the distinct harshness and weird resonance with female vocals, made them unsuitable for my needs. These points, combined with the over $100 price difference, made it an easy decision to return them.

Song Testing
The first song that I tried was Samuel Barber's 'Adagio for Strings', performed by the New York Philharmonic. I have heard this performed live by the San Francisco Symphony at Davies Symphony Hall (sitting in the Loge level section G) and in my opinion the Klipsch were able to reproduce this most closely to that experience. This test also first exposed the mid range weakness of the Corsairs, although I hadn't figured it out at this point.

The next song I tried was 'Dreams on Fire' from the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack. This song actually sounded pretty good on the Corsairs, due to the distinctness of each instrument and the vocals, but again the resonance poked its nose in and slightly spoiled an otherwise excellent performance.

At this point I began to detect the Corsair's weakness in vocals, so the next song I tried was Sainkho's 'Tanola Nomads'. The majority of the female vocals in this song are in the 1kHz to 4kHz range, so it really highlighted the issue by being a worst case test for the Corsairs.

Another difference I had noticed was that the Corsairs did tend to have better clarity when lots of instruments were playing, so I loaded up Ott's 'Jack's Cheese and Bread Snack'. Not only does this song have a lot of things going on at once, it also has a large amount of audio in the 8kHz and even 16kHz+ range. Unsurprisingly, the Corsairs did very well on this song. On the Klipsch the highest frequencies were slightly clipped and parts of the song sounded like some of the instruments were muted.

At this point, having played the above songs repeatedly, I was pretty sure I had made up my mind. Here are some other songs I tested, in no particular order, but they only served to reinforce the key points mentioned above:

Magna Canta - Kyrie
Eluvium - Prelude For Time Feelers
William Orbit - Water from a Vine Leaf
Balligomingo -Beyond, Wild Butterfly
009 Sound System - Dreamscape, Killer with a Thousand Faces
Alexander Popov - Vapour Trails (Original Mix)
Delerium - Terra Firma
The American Dollar - Anything You Synthesize
The XX - Intro
Robotaki - Falling from Heaven

Last edited:
Interesting and thorough review. I've owned the Promedia 2.1 for a little over 4 months now. I initially purchased them solely for movies and gaming, which they excel at. Despite this, I find that for music they are somewhat comparable with some of my headphones. They sound a bit stiff and veiled right out of the box, but with some burn in you will find the satellites really open up and reveal a more smooth, detailed high end. The sub gets better with burn in too-it tightens up and reveals additional texture. Overall I find that they have a decent, tight sound (with the sub turned down), a warm midrange, and a smooth (but not recessed) high end. They have the magic ability of making any genre of music enjoyable, as well as movies, games, etc.

I think the weakest point of the system is the sub-it's undersized and sounds a bit flubby at high volume-you can really only enjoy the system with the sub turned to a moderate volume. Regardless, explosions in games like BFBC2 are still very visceral and feel realistic. Just don't expect super low bass extension.

Interesting, though very subjective, based on the fact you only listen to music.

What sound card are you using, and have you tried having the sound output set higher, perhaps around the 90% mark?

[F2C]MaDMaXX;1036717931 said:
Interesting, though very subjective, based on the fact you only listen to music.

What sound card are you using, and have you tried having the sound output set higher, perhaps around the 90% mark?

I do some gaming as well, but nothing serious, and I almost never watch movies on the computer (the TV is right behind me), but if I had to extrapolate from my testing, I would say that the Corsairs will probably be no better for gaming but much better for movies.

The sound card is listed under "Setup" in my review, but again it's the ASUS Xonar DX (pci-e). As a matter of fact I did set the Audio Center volume up to 90% a few times (with the speaker volume unchanged) and aside from making things louder there was no other difference.

I also did try with the speaker volumes turned up; the Klipsch knob will go a full 360 degrees, but past about 180 degrees (halfway) the sound becomes muddy and is not worth listening to. In contrast the Corsairs went to almost full volume and still sounded fine for the few seconds my eardrums could withstand it. This is why in my "TL;DR" I recommend the Corsairs highly if you plan to crank the volume up, but I personally will never do that.

Just a quick reply before I dash off to work. First, thanks for taking the time to do the head-to-head. As somebody else mentioned, you just listened to music, as that's mostly what you use your PC for. This is, of course, a perfectly valid test suite, since many people reading your review might also be looking for a system to be used primarily for music. You're correct in your estimation that the SP2500 will do great with movies, but it also excels in games (in particularly against a system with the bass characteristics like the Klipsch).

But it's your report about the music quality that worries me. If you haven't yet packed it up, please try the audio tracks again, this time with the EQ set to CLASSICAL. The REFERENCE setting is just that -- for reference, so it's "electrically flat." The CLASSICAL setting is an "acoustically flat" setting that's more neutral and balanced for music. The EQ settings are persistent, so you won't need to flip it to CLASSICAL each time you boot it. I believe this will address the issues you brought up in the music playback, but if not, let me know.

You're right, of course, that the Klipsch's volume encoder is analog (as is the case with most PC speakers) while the SP2500's encoder talks to a DSP and is thus digital. So, you'll get that granularity. We chose 30 steps because it seems to be a good balance between granularity and accessability. What would you recommend?

As for the observed non-linearity in the controller and the hiss at zero, let me talk to somebody who's smarter than me and get back.

Wow, now i'm really really impressed with Corsair customer service.

Psoriac, i hope yo're able to try what Dylan suggested, i'll hope you'll not think i'm lying when i say i meant to ask you about the DSP settings last night when i posted.

One thing i did note from Corsairs responses in the main thread and from the review, is that the system is a DSP system, i needs to use it. The way it was balanced sounds like it has the modes there in order to sound great in all settings (man i wish i could try this out myself!)

I too would choose the "flat" option in the DSP for most things, i do'nt like my sounds artificially altered if i can help it as, like the Klipsch, most speakers are setup generically, in this case though, it sounds like they've set them up from the start with the DSP modes in mind.

I say wait till they burn in, all speakers sound a little hollow in the first weeks of us. And REFERENCE is the default? or is it classical? because that resonance you are hearing could be attributed to that. Can I know what is the point of having these modes?

Yes REFERENCE is the default setting out of the box.

Dylan, I'll try setting it to classical, but may I ask what exactly does "electrically flat" mean and why would anyone care? Why isn't reference acoustically flat, which is the audio industry standard meaning for that term?

Also, it's nice to see that people are only skimming my review and asking questions that are already answered in it. From here on out I'm ignoring such questions.

Hey Psoriac - If it not too much trouble, would you mind measuring the base for me, with the height including the stand/legs? I've looked around, but none say if it includes or excludes the base's legs/stands. Just wondering if the base will fit in between my desk and a shelf. Also, can the legs be removed from the base? Thanks in advance.

And, nci-x pricematched + discounted the Corsair SP2500 to 199. Think it's a good buy vs the Klipsch at this price?

Just registered to say this ;p

Last edited:
NCI-X ??

Psoriac, i hope i didn't ask stupid questions, i just checked, only my sound card question, i think i auto skip basics sometimes :(

I think Dylan is referring to the graphs when he says flat, but i'll let someone with more knowledge explain it.

Yeah, N C I X U S / N C I X. It's censored. :V

My apologies if this is against the rules or something. I am new. ;)

Hey Psoriac - If it not too much trouble, would you mind measuring the base for me, with the height including the stand/legs?
Height of the bass unit, including rubber feet, is 11.75" with the feet being 0.75" of that. They're little rubber pegs that you could tear off if you wanted to, but then you'll have the entire sub vibrating against whatever it's resting on - probably not a good idea.

At $199 it would be a really tough call, for me personally I think I'd still return them, but I'd probably have second thoughts for the next week. :p

Hi Dylan, thanks for the feedback. In fact I had planned to return it this weekend, to give people time to request additional tests.

You're correct in your estimation that the SP2500 will do great with movies, but it also excels in games (in particularly against a system with the bass characteristics like the Klipsch).

I think this depends heavily on the kinds of games you play - for an RPG or any game with a lot of dialog, I think it would be about the same or favoring the Klipsch, but for any action/FPS type game with lots of explosions you're right in that the Corsairs would sound better.

If you haven't yet packed it up, please try the audio tracks again, this time with the EQ set to CLASSICAL. [...] I believe this will address the issues you brought up in the music playback, but if not, let me know.

I set it to CLASSICAL as you recommended, and that definitely cleaned up a lot (but not all) of the hollowness and eliminated the feeling that everything was at the same loudness. Adagio in particular sounded much much better. Unfortunately, while it did help in some areas, it made others worse - by clearing out some frequencies, that weird resonance I mentioned turned into an actual discernible buzz when female vocals hit certain frequencies. It also caused some frequencies to overpower, becoming muddy. One great example of this is 'Dreams on Fire' between 2:10 and 2:20 when the harp strums a few chords as the singer is holding her note - to be completely honest it sounds terrible. The POP setting helped on this specific case, but overall sounded worse everywhere else, plus there's no way people can be expected to adjust the EQ on a per-song basis.

You're right, of course, that the [...] SP2500's encoder [...] is digital. So, you'll get that granularity. We chose 30 steps because it seems to be a good balance between granularity and accessability. What would you recommend?

It's actually only 24 steps, not 30. :) 6 may not seem like much but it's 25% of what's available right now. In my personal opinion, I think somewhere around 30 to 36 steps would be "as good as" true analog; it's not really a big deal at the lower volumes, but as you get louder I find myself wanting a few more steps in between what's currently available.

Drawn by natural curiosity I went to the Corsair SP2500 webpage: Corsair SP2500

The Heading was: "Corsair Gaming Audio Series™ SP2500 High-power 2.1 PC Speaker System"

From the heading it seemed that the marketing aim of SP2500 is to excel in gaming experience. This by no means proves though that this set will only be good for games and not for music & movies. Actually from my previous experiences, I have seen movies & games go side by side. Listening music though is a little bit different from the former two.

I am seriously impressed about Corsair in that they provided the true specs of SP2500 in a transparent way. No hiding, no passive 8 inch driver just pure power drivers to provide good listening experience. Going to the review tab of SP2500 in their webpage, I found reviews from HardOCP, Maximum PC, GameSpot UK, HardwareHeaven,GameSpot UK, Engadget,TechRadar.

All the above reviews where subjective reviews of the product with no direct comparison with the other top 2.1 PC Speakers in the market. It is not to imply that the reviews from the above mentioned websites were not upto the mark, actually it was quite the opposite. I found the reviews done by HardOCP & HardwareHeaven to be quite indepth & exhaustive. But the problem is when you read discrete reviews, you may come to know that the system have good performance or not but you have no idea as to how good/ bad it is in comparison to its competitors.

Amazingly though, the biggest review of them all at Tom'sHardware was missing in the review page of Corsair website[I personally do not know why]. Looking at the price($260) & stated performance of the SP2500, I had the feeling that it will decimate its opposition. From the hardware specs & performance quotes at least it seems so. And the best way to prove that is to do a direct head-to-head comparison of SP2500 with the other top 2.1 PC speakers. Tom'sHardware did just that.

Tom'sHardware link : 2.1-Channel Speaker Roundup

The difference between Tom'sHardware & the other reviews website is in that they provided not only the subjective view of all five speakers under comparison, but in that they also did objective reports/ analysis of the sets under comparison. No other review website other than Tom'sHarware seemed to have the instruments required to do this objective analysis.

Tom'sHardware quote: "Most PC speaker reviews are limited to subjective opinions. While those are quite useful, this is Tom’s Hardware. We’re going to try to go a little deeper than that with some objective measurements, too. Our measurements are taken with a calibrated Apex 220 measurement microphone that has a phantom power supplied by TubeMP preamp. The measurement software we use is TrueRTA audio-spectrum analyzer level 4, found at www.trueaudio.com. Testing is done in a 25’x15’ room with the microphone pointed upward 30” from the satellites and subwoofer .................................. Nevertheless, since the speakers were meticulously placed and aimed in the same manner as the other test subjects, we have to consider these dips and pay extra attention when we test the speakers subjectively."

The audio frequency graph as published by Tom'sHarware told a different story about SP2500. In the graph at least, SP2500 did not prove to have better audio quality than its opposition. But again objective analysis of sound quality cannot provide the full picture, it can atmost help to a certain extent, so here the subjective analysis of the audio product comes to play. It is the summation of both that provides a clear picture of the actual performance of a speaker set. Unfortunately, their subjective analysis about SP2500 was not fully positive either and mimicked the audio frequency graph to a certain extent.

You will find a thread realted to this topic : Five 2.1 Speaker Roundup

Amazingly, what Tom'sHardware told objectively & subjectively about SP2500 matched toe to toe with my own & Psoriac subjective views regarding SP2500.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am highly impressed with Dylan Rhodes though. Apart from his work, he takes the time to answer all our questions. He is a true example of how a company executive should handle his customers. I have never seen another executive of a multinational company coming so close to us ever before.

He told me that he is talking to Tom'sHardware about the the sound quality drop out as below:

Tom's notwithstanding, this isn't a belief generally shared by people who have heard both. I believe the dropout was due to an EQ setting issue during testing; we're talking to Tom about that.

I hope this problem get solved through EQ settings. I am not certain though. I will buy the Corsair SP2500 only if it can prove itself to be the best, in terms of performance of course. I have always been a big fan of Corsairs, but for performance RAM & power modules. It remains to be seen if Corsair can attain the same amount of success in the PC Speaker field as well. I am with them. But I am also brand neutral.

And it seems it is better to wait for few more months before buying. The performance picture of SP2500 will be much more clearer by then. If some other opposition of SP2500 proves to have better performance [As in the case of Tom'sHarware Review] within this few months, then I will go for that.

Last edited:
Thanks Rishi, it also appears that there are some concerns from Dylan about Psoriacs review as well. Personally, i can't imagine they intentionally released the speakers with such a glaring sound error of resonance (if that's really what's being heard) and the buzz issue stinks of fault somewhere, probably the EQ as it seems to accentuate the problem when it was changed to classical/pop.

[F2C]MaDMaXX;1036724867 said:
Thanks Rishi, it also appears that there are some concerns from Dylan about Psoriacs review as well. Personally, i can't imagine they intentionally released the speakers with such a glaring sound error of resonance (if that's really what's being heard) and the buzz issue stinks of fault somewhere, probably the EQ as it seems to accentuate the problem when it was changed to classical/pop.

Yes, thats the reason why I think we should wait & watch for some more time. Also, I am waiting for Tech-Labs.ru to test this SP2500.

I recently decided to upgrade my PC sound "system" from my going-on-10-years-old Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000, a 4.1 setup which I had been using in a 2.1 configuration with only the front satellites.................................. Robotaki - Falling from Heaven

Psoriac, excellent review. One of the best subjective analysis of an audio system that I have ever come across in a forum. The way you did the tests, the methods followed, the tracks chosen were just spot on. You gave a lot of effort to do all the settings required to perform this test. Full marks for that.

Now their will be well wishers & there will be critics. That's the sin you commit when you write a good review. I am actually a bit of both. But none the less I have to salute you for the formidable effort that you put in order to do this test.

I have a little bit of a question mark regarding the weird resonance though.

But anyway it seems you are a contributor to a forum you participate. A contributor is one you creates a topic of substantial importance and let the other members think, analyse and come out with new concepts & questions in their mind. Thus you enrich the forum & cultivate. It is not equivalent to creating a thread and asking for help in order make a decision or helping some one to choose between the two. Give a look at the above posts & you will find every body is asking you questions. Very few persons have this ability to contribute nowadays. I am happy that you are one of them.

Regards, RishiGuru

Last edited:
We're not going to tear apart his review. It's not needed. He made no outrageous claims.

Height of the bass unit, including rubber feet, is 11.75" with the feet being 0.75" of that. They're little rubber pegs that you could tear off if you wanted to, but then you'll have the entire sub vibrating against whatever it's resting on - probably not a good idea.

At $199 it would be a really tough call, for me personally I think I'd still return them, but I'd probably have second thoughts for the next week. :p

Lol, ah thanks. I think it'll fit. Great review btw. :D

[F2C]MaDMaXX;1036723218 said:
Pricematched the corsiars to who?
To BestDirect @ 225.50. NCI_X matched and also discounted it to 199. Works for those who live in Canada. ;)
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/232625/CORSAIR/CA_SP211NA/

$199 for the SP2500 might have changed my mind, but I went ahead and ordered a replacement set of the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's this weekend. A friend of mine wanted to buy my current set instead of a new set for whatever reason. $80 to my new set!

:eek:

We need to get you some AKGs...or Beyers...

Why? I have no need for headphones at home. The computer room is far enough from the bedrooms that I don't disturb anyone. I have Sennheisers at work and a set of ATH earphones for travel.

Back