World of Starcraft

Maximuss

Gawd
http://www.worldofstarcraft.proboards.com/

Using StarCraft II's suitably beefy editor, an intrepid (and undeniably gutsy) modding team has taken it upon itself to make World of StarCraft from not-quite-scratch. Currently, the mod's still in its infancy, and there's always the chance that Blizzard's waiting in the wings with a nuclear-strike-sized lawsuit to snuff out the whole thing. Granted, the World of StarCraft team has at least presented some pretty strong evidence in its favor.

“You created a tool that allowed us to do anything with your assets. You encouraged us to use your assets and were eager to see what we might come up with. You had to have seen this coming,” wrote Ryan Winzen in a forum post addressed to Blizzard.

They had an Alpha up on Youtube, but Activision took it down! Like wtf

EDIT: get it before it's down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roIOpHq0vUc

If it does (probably) get taken down here's a nice .mp4 I ripped from Youtube.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B0I22UAZ

12282503.jpg

43210743.jpg

59474835.jpg

Will look into it when (and if) it's done. Looks promising, though.

I love the Immortal, but the Zealots needs the legs upgrade ;)

Very cool. I am not the biggest Starcraft fan, but I would definitely try it out! Looks like the modder did a good job.

Hmmm, a Blizzard "World of" game with current gen graphics and based in Starcraft? Think Blizz is already working on it?

Been rumored before, I think its a little weird they decided to Warcraft as an MMO before StarCraft. It seemed they had the better platform with starcraft to do an MMO over Warcraft and kept that as the strategy game.

If they had the two MMO's out side by side I would much rather play in a StarCraft environment.

BS on activisions part. It this is a legitimate mod then they have no right to threaten with lawsuits. If the the dispute is over the name then they the creators should name is it something else and continue working on.

- How to make a MMO look even worse than WOW? Zoom in on SC2 graphics.

- How to introduce terrible input delay on every command? Use the Bnet 2.0 built in delay with SC2

Hmm. In general these third person games are a novelty on the SC2 engine the way it is right now. Some look good in youtube videos, but I've played them online and it's terrible. Testing them locally and playing on bnet are completely different.

Gay.

How do you totally destroy a games credibility?

You turn it into an MMO!

Been rumored before, I think its a little weird they decided to Warcraft as an MMO before StarCraft. It seemed they had the better platform with starcraft to do an MMO over Warcraft and kept that as the strategy game.

If they had the two MMO's out side by side I would much rather play in a StarCraft environment.

If you look at the genre as a whole, Fantasy based MMOs have been considerably more successful over all. The public in general still tends to sway towards the Fantasy<->RPG mentality.

While on the reverse , Fantasy RTS games have been less successful over all. The top RTS games tend to be sci-fi or historic settings.

If you look at the genre as a whole, Fantasy based MMOs have been considerably more successful over all. The public in general still tends to sway towards the Fantasy<->RPG mentality.

While on the reverse , Fantasy RTS games have been less successful over all. The top RTS games tend to be sci-fi or historic settings.

I guess I can't argue with this. Consider mine more of a rant for wanting something less ... stereotypical?

I have long thought a "world of starcraft" game would be doable and awesome in MMORPG format. Think a three sided war, instead of a two sided one (a la WoW, with the alliance and the hoard). Terrans would be mostly tech with some psi (magic), the zerg would be mostly biologic with some psi, and the protoss would be mostly psi, with some tech.

The only truly iff bit would be making the zones large enough to feel like entire worlds. This was a major problem with other space based MMORPG's. It's much easier to partition a single planet into believable zones, than to try to make a galactic scale game with plantes as the zones.

I have long thought a "world of starcraft" game would be doable and awesome in MMORPG format. Think a three sided war, instead of a two sided one (a la WoW, with the alliance and the hoard). Terrans would be mostly tech with some psi (magic), the zerg would be mostly biologic with some psi, and the protoss would be mostly psi, with some tech.

The only truly iff bit would be making the zones large enough to feel like entire worlds. This was a major problem with other space based MMORPG's. It's much easier to partition a single planet into believable zones, than to try to make a galactic scale game with plantes as the zones.

First mmo that popped in my head was Planetside. Somewhat large scale world where the 3 sides battled for territory/bases.
Would be cool if they could combine it into something like Eve-online in space, with planet fighting like PLanetside

You dont have to keep it 3-sided, you can always make sub-divisions of all, keep 3 (or more) starting area's just keep the factions different so the interaction later on in the game is different for different factions.

EQ did this, they let all of factions interact with each other, just if you wanted to use some towns it was impossible for some. But technically that game had 8 different sides. World of Starcraft doesn't have to be the game with the stand off between the different races, if it was for the original there times where all 3 races were aligned, then there will be the same in SC2. I'm sure they can place it with new-kerrigan-era so all 3 races can play together.

Man...I don't get all these companies (Blizzard, Squaresoft, etc) ready to slit their biggest fans' throats for showing the ultimate interest in their products. Yeah, I understand they want to control their intellectual property, but at what cost?

They've now alienated their most hardcore, productive fans that poured their hearts into a huge fan project gave Blizzard's own product free advertising. They send the message "Go ahead and make mods with the tools we provided...but you never know when your work will be wasted and you'll be up to your ears in legal bills from us."

It could just be the naming issue, or something self customized that Blizzard doesn't agree with.

I can see this mod getting done and released but it wont be exactly the way the modder wanted.

I have to give the modder group credit, that is just the most insane amount of dedication.

I'm sure Blizzard's creative team would have loved to see this, but the legal side have to do their jobs and shut it down. The modder should take a page out of Blizzard's book and just make loose references to the real deal. WoW is littered with pop culture references, but never quote them exactly.

Some more news straight from the Horses keyboard :D

I know there's a lot of questions as to what has gone on with it.

A brief history of what happened in case you're not fully aware... I posted that youtube video about a week ago, and after the 4th day it started to go viral. I was periodically checking it to view comments when I noticed the hits were going up at about 10,000 an hour... Once it got up to about 150k views with over 300 supportive comments, Activision pulled it. I was really confused seeing as how there were many other World of Starcraft projects attempted and youtubed, and furthermore confused by the copyright issue. Everything inside of Blizzard's editor is copyrighted material so I thought as long as things were being produced within SC2 it was fair game regardless of title.

Kid logic I suppose.

The Deputy General Council from Blizzard contacted me last night to discuss the details of the "World of Starcraft" project. We talked for a while and apparently some people from Blizz were concerned I was developing the game somehow outside of SC2. Anyways I explained the details of the project to him and made it clear this mod was to be developed within SC2. After that was clear he obviously wanted the name to be changed... I'm trying to work with him to get the name Starcraft Universe (Currently in holding by Mille25) or Starcraft Chronicles. I am fully respectful of Blizzard's Intellectual property, and they DO in fact own a copyright on "World of Starcraft" and have EVERY RIGHT to do what they did. If I want to continue this project I'm at the mercy of Blizzard's good graces since they OWN it all.

Anyways yesterday I was contacted by Riot games in Los Angeles for a potential position in game design. I'm not special though I will have to go through the application process and testing like everyone else, and this is not a 100% guaranteed thing, and I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do at the moment. There's a lot going on outside of what I've even mentioned here.

Literally overnight I've grown from a nobody to a guy that half a million people want to design a mod. I've had professional composers contact me, dozens upon dozens of game designers and programmers and organizers. Many professionals seeking a fun hobby project even though there is NO MONEY TO BE MADE. ( At this time premium maps is still just a concept )

Finally I want to say how GRATEFUL I am to SC2MAPSTER.COM and everyone in it and all my friends there. From the Tutorials to the amazing help I've recieved in the IRC over the last four months. That place is amazing. I could have never made the transition I have from the wc3 editor to sc2 edit without that place, and regardless of what happens to me I will stamp sc2mapster on everything I can from here moving forward.

Mille25 and I are going to discuss the possible fusion of his Starcraft Universe project today with mine, and we'll see what happens. But regardless I know that an instanced based Starcraft MMO will happen somewhay, somehow, eventually - within Starcraft II.

Thankyou: Shawn, Onetwo, Progammer, Proziac, Lillianna, Xaragoth, Sumo, Sixen, JmanV, Helral, Slaydon, SCMapper, A1Win, Skizot, Vjeux, DarkRevenant, Dogmai, Fockewulf, HeyRevolver, Mindful, Skittles, rrowland, Phaos... and all the other names I may be drawing a blank on at this time... If you've ever helped me with the editor, I truly truly appriciate the time.

There's a lot of people there who I know are more technically and creative talented than I am..

Cordially, Ryan Winzen

Read more: http://www.worldofstarcraft.proboar...=visit&action=display&thread=70#ixzz1Bcs1f59E

So now it's (probably) called:
Starcraft Chronicles

hmm.. didnt think i would be right about a problem with the content and the name. seems like the internet got all huffy puffy as a knee jerk reaction for no reason?

Back