Official ASUS Response to Resume/Hibernate Problem with Internal PLL Voltage Enabled

Gary Key

ASUS Technical Support
Good Day,

After lengthy discussions with Intel and R&D this morning, it turns out that the inability of a system to properly resume from sleep/hibernate with Internal PLL Voltage enabled is a documented problem from Intel with the current base firmware code for Sandy Bridge/P67. We are working with Intel on a solution. I will update this thread as additional information becomes available.

I have had problems with waking from S3 sleep under each and every bios version released to date for the P8P67 Deluse.

On bios versions without PLL Overvolt and with versions including it but with PLL Overvolt disabled I am left with 30 displaying on the Q-Code after the pc wakes up.
With PLL Overvolt enabled, the pc does not wake up and I am left with EA on Q-Code.

For my P8P67 Deluxe, I also have a similar problem as mschlottfeld mentioned.

On every bios version, I can't resume from S3 when my PC has been in a sleep sate for an hour or longer, with any setting of PLL overvoltage setting. In that case, the Q-code LED indcates EA ( resume boot script error).

The strange thing is that I can resume from S3 with short interval after going sleep state (couple of minutes or so). And with S4, i don't have any problems, so now we use hibernation instead of S3.

--
CPU: i7-2600K
MEM: Elixir DDR3-1333 4GBx2
VGA: Powercolor Radeon HD6870
Other: Sound Blaster Audigy2
PSU: Corsair HX750

Good Day,

After lengthy discussions with Intel and R&D this morning, it turns out that the inability of a system to properly resume from sleep/hibernate with Internal PLL Voltage enabled is a documented problem from Intel with the current base firmware code for Sandy Bridge/P67. We are working with Intel on a solution. I will update this thread as additional information becomes available.

does this mean that it can be fixed via an .inf update from intel or is this bios related requiring a bios update?

Disabling Internal PLL Overvolt solved my sleep/resume problems, but now I can't get a stable overclock. Before I was 8 hr prime 95 stable on my 2600K @ 100x46 and 1.340V. Now I'm testing up to 1.390V but it seems to crash in under an hour.

update: okay I'm 8 hr Prime 95 stable at 1.390 V, but with the higher voltage my max temps are reaching 83°C vs. 78°C before. My cpu cooing is a hyper 212+ with dual fan config. Hoping intel/asus is able to solve this issue in the near future.

Last edited:
Still have code 30 on motherboards LED after wake from S3.

With PLL overvolt off, the PC wakes up and everything seems to work fine. Just that the 30 remains on the LED.

Starting to wonder if showing and retaining 30 on the LED after wakeup is normal operation. I thought the code would return to AA like when the PC is freshly booted.

I have had problems with waking from S3 sleep under each and every bios version released to date for the P8P67 Deluse.

On bios versions without PLL Overvolt and with versions including it but with PLL Overvolt disabled I am left with 30 displaying on the Q-Code after the pc wakes up.
With PLL Overvolt enabled, the pc does not wake up and I am left with EA on Q-Code.
My situation is similar and I am running 1502 bios on Asus Deluxe. Doesn't matter what I do in Bios and despite having all the latest drivers installed, sleep does not work.

I find it incomprehensible that this ecosystem has been shipped while such an important and basic feature is broken. And worse, almost three months later has not been fixed nor is a fix in sight. This sucks big time!

I hate to say it but Intel and Asus have dropped the ball big time on the SB launch.

What do I do, keep my flawless 920 set and sell the SB or stick to SB and prey it will work out in the long run.......

If you want to sell a SB setup because of sleep not working (due to PLL overvoltage (which overvolts the 1.5v PLL, NOT the cpu pll setting), then you're in the wrong hobby, and frankly, good riddance.

Just power off the freaking system, you lazy bums, until Intel fixes it.

PLL Overvoltage is not the silver bullet a lot of people think it is. There are lot of reasons systems do not resume properly (ie. drivers, apps, services, etc.). I have not been able to resume since day 1 and have PPL Overvolt disabled but know enough not to jump on the "I hate ASUS and Intel" bandwagon. I've had many perfectly operating systems throughout the years that after certain upgrades, patches or revisions would fail to sleep. It happens. I'll bet it'll be few months before all the bugs are worked out with sleep mode. Probably just in time for Windows 8 to screw everything up.

Pll is when you go past 1.4v. That's it. Enable it before that and you risk to have issues. I've posted the bios link for Asus in the other post. few cpu stability fixes is in it.
Thank you
Spoo0ny
Asus mobo owner

If you want to sell a SB setup because of sleep not working (due to PLL overvoltage (which overvolts the 1.5v PLL, NOT the cpu pll setting), then you're in the wrong hobby, and frankly, good riddance.

Just power off the freaking system, you lazy bums, until Intel fixes it.
Congratulations with your smart ass remark which gets a few laughs here and there.

Off course I'm crazy to expect this function to work properly. This is a hobby!! Why should we expect ANYTHING to work as advertised. :rolleyes:

With so many people having issues with sleep. How is it possible that Asus and Intel has missed this prior to launch :confused:

Good job making mountains out of molehills.
Nowhere in my post did I say that this feature should not be expected to work reliably. I said that trying to sell a system because it won't sleep is just completely anal-retenative. We went through this S3 shit back during the socket 775 days, when none of the highly overclocked boards, especially with RAM timings tweaked, would resume from sleep on early bioses. And I sure didn't see people trying to sell their boards and run back to pentium 4's back then !

yup, took forever to get my socket 775 680i to sleep properly.

Lighten up MrXL.

Sleep issues have hounded the last three generations of mobos I've had. It's pretty annoying but they eventually get resolved. It's just part of the price of being an early adopter.

Precisely. So I'm not trying to troll.
Intel doesn't natively design their chipsets and CPU's for overclocking. It's only *RECENTLY* that Intel has begun to embrance overclocking, because they're starting to get with the times and realize that a large percentage of the people who buy $1,000 cpu's are overclockers. 10 years ago, overclocking would void a warranty. Intel has backed off from that now. They ALSO know full well that people will run and buy multiple chips, trying to find the best clockers...

But that doesn't mean that they test sleep mode on highly overclocked systems.

Who would have thought, back during the Pentium 3 days, that Intel would someday make a video telling you how to overclock a computer?
Even their very website mentions overclockers. That's a VERY new tune by Intel....they are REALLY yanking AMD around here, big time...(knowing that AMD has been selling unlocked processors, ever since Intel started locking later versions of the Pentium MMX...)

If I leave my PC unattended for some time, when I return the screen is black. I press any key and while I hear the fans suddenly speeding up, nothing appears on screen.

But then, even when I try a cold reboot, the PC doesn't POST: screen stays black and I hear no beeps. Only after unplugging the power and clearing the CMOS, I can POST again. This happened 3 times already, and is EXTREMELY annoying.

Has this anything to do with the "regular" cannot-resume-from-S3-bug? Because most ppl here seem to be able to cold reboot.

I've bought this motherboard a couple of days ago and had nothing but problems; I can only see a part of the UEFI interface on my CRT monitor (some resolution bug), and now this resume/hibernate thingy.

Thanks!

BIOS version = 1305
2500K at stock speed
2x4GB Corsair Dominator DDR1600 RAM (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9)
HD4870X2

Last edited:
Good job making mountains out of molehills.
Nowhere in my post did I say that this feature should not be expected to work reliably. I said that trying to sell a system because it won't sleep is just completely anal-retenative. We went through this S3 shit back during the socket 775 days, when none of the highly overclocked boards, especially with RAM timings tweaked, would resume from sleep on early bioses. And I sure didn't see people trying to sell their boards and run back to pentium 4's back then !
And your point is?

I'm not even running this system oc'd and some people think sleep IS an important feature. What the hell has a years old 775 system to do with this.

I did a reality check and concluded that I'm living in 2011. In ICT terms lightyears away from the birth of S3 implementation. It should work. It doesn't work and there is no way in hell that they didn't know before launch that it is completely borked....

Since it's possible to change the settings from Windows (via MEI), I would think that ASUS could write a driver/hook to downclock and disable PLL overvoltage prior to going to sleep, and restore the setting after waking back up. Just a thought.

And your point is?

I'm not even running this system oc'd and some people think sleep IS an important feature. What the hell has a years old 775 system to do with this.

I did a reality check and concluded that I'm living in 2011. In ICT terms lightyears away from the birth of S3 implementation. It should work. It doesn't work and there is no way in hell that they didn't know before launch that it is completely borked....

Just sell your PC and buy a console then. Or a mac. Problem solved.

Good Day,

My computer is not able to resume from sleep, although I disabled PLL Voltage in BIOS. When trying to resume from sleep by touching the keyboard or mouse, nothing happens. When booting with soft power button, Windows 7 reports that the computer was shut down unexpectedly.

- Asus P8P67 Deluxe (rev. B3), BIOS 1503
- Intel i7 2600K
- Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

BIOS:
- PLL Voltage disabled
- all other BIOS settings at default values

Drivers
- all the latest drivers from Asus website

Is there some other reason that prevent resume from sleep to function correctly?

I managed to get sleep to work by disabling Internal PLL Voltage and reducing my OC to 4.4 GHz. Sleep works great now. I also ran mst. Don't know if it helped. I can live for now with a smaller OC because sleep is a much needed feature for me.

Now please Asus/Intel bring us a real solution.

Is there some other reason that prevent resume from sleep to function correctly?

I made a little bit research, and it turns out that Windows 7 Service Pack 1 contains a bug related to sleep functionality when SCSIport minidriver is used. Apparently Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller uses this driver. I switched my hard disk from Marvell Controller port to Intel SATA 6G Controller port, and now I am able to put my computer into sleep without problems! :)

(Excuse for me having this same reply in another thread where I asked basically the same question, but if somebody finds this useful.)

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I started experiencing the S3 sleep problem after upgrading my cpu cooler and oc'ing to 4.2. It would lock up with an EA Q-code when I tried to wake it. When I was using the Intel stock cooler my temps were so ridiculously high I did not to oc at all. I don't consider a 4.2 oc with my proc to be extreme in any way, so I disabled PLL overvoltage and the sleep problem was instantly fixed.

Now I just need to do some work to make sure everything is still stable. Before I started oc'ing this rig I had PLL overvoltage set to auto. I'm wondering if that means it was effectively disabled since I had no oc in place. Once I oc'd to 4.2 with PLL overvoltage still set to auto, it might have enabled it and hence the sleep problem began. Just because it was enabled doesn't mean it was necessary so I'm hoping at 4.2 everything will still be good.

Anyway, I do use S3 sleep quite a bit and it was getting really annoying. This seems like a good fix provided that you don't insist upon a higher oc (though I realize many here do).

Hi there !

Seems to me that this problem isn't solve yet. What's the point ? Can it be solved or not ? Will Asus fix this with a BIOS update ?

Thx

Hi there !

Seems to me that this problem isn't solve yet. What's the point ? Can it be solved or not ? Will Asus fix this with a BIOS update ?

Thx

No fix for this issue. It's down to Intel to come up with a way around it. Most chips can do up to 4.5GHz without PLL OV enabled, so it's just a case of pegging back to the point where it works for you.

-Raja

Hmmmm, ok. Sad answer. I've seen SB CPUs allowing [email protected] witch is quite ok for H24 use. But they need PLL OV for this. :-/

THX for the answer anyway. :)

Yeah I hear ya. There are some good chips that will do 5GHz without PLL OV (I have one, it's the first one I purchased luckily). Usually such CPUs are one in forty samples.

-Raja

Just use S1 sleep if you *NEED* sleep with PLL OV enabled.
I mean come on people. There was a time when there was no such thing as sleep and we got along just fine, didn't we? Just like back before there were cell phones and ipads...

Adapt or be angry forever....

It's worse than Intel or Asus want to believe. There are many users who are not overclocking at all and yet the sabertooth P67 will not resume from sleep if left overnight. Disabling PLL Overvoltage makes no difference.

at the moment my sabertooth won't resume from sleep or hibernation if left overnight.

It's worse than Intel or Asus want to believe. There are many users who are not overclocking at all and yet the sabertooth P67 will not resume from sleep if left overnight. Disabling PLL Overvoltage makes no difference.

at the moment my sabertooth won't resume from sleep or hibernation if left overnight.
Well great news for you today, working solution is here :
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1589943&page=4

EDIT: Stupid me, you already saw this ! Have a try, this works !!!! Those lines are at the bottom of the "AI Tweaker" Tab... Juste set 0.51000x for each 4 values...

I have default settings and I don't see any entries DRAM Data REF or Ctrl REF. Could you please post an image of the BIOS page with those settings please.

Do you have any of your boot drives on the Marvell controller?

-Raja

Back