MSI Introduces AMD E350IA-E45 Mini-ITX Motherboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
MSI, the world renowned motherboards and graphics card manufacturer, today officially announces the first mainboard Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) powered platform, the MSI E350IA-E45. Powered by an E350 APU with 1.6 GHz dual-core CPU and DirectX 11 Radeon HD6310 graphics, the E350IA-E45 offers all the features you could expect in the ultimate Home Entertainment Platform: excellent Thermal Design and stability thanks to Japanese made Solid CAP, Full-HD Video connectivity and digital audio solutions. MSI E350-E45 is equipped with both USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps ports to rapidly store and stream music and movies in the fit-anywhere Mini-ITX form factor. MSI E350IA-E45, the highest quality Home Entertainment Platform.

Ah, the first mini-itx with Fusion. This is Fusion, is it not?

+1 on the price question.

Reviews...
Well, it does everything better than a atom on the cpu side, just a tiny bit.
It got less latency in everything than atom, snappier.
But it's just details, and minor things.

GPu power.
TDP.
SB specs. (hudson)

okey, its close to 110 usd I think maybe abit more, but theese boards should be around 100-125.
Feature USB3, SATA6gb, bitstream audio (NO BD 3D!!) analog 7.1 and graphics for CS source games, so portal works.

Hope this info helps, think of a atom, +/-10% i think, depends on the task, fusion is faster in most things though.
waiting for the next higher TDP fusion board.

So who's gonna be the first to rip off that HSF and figure out how to put an LN2 pot on there and OC it? :D

@King of Heroes: I was under the impression XMBC was platform agnostic and just relied on the OS that was present. Should run fine as long as one of the supported OSes is installed and proper drivers are used so video decoding can happen. Or did you mean XMBC Live? Not sure about that one, would depend on what Linux build they base Live off of. Still waiting on Phoronix to put the Fusion APUs through their paces, or more importantly as in the case of SandyB, make sure it even runs properly.

Here's a (horrendous) review I was reading earlier today: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...d-fusion-motherboard-review-introduction.html

Wouldn't pay much attention to the power consumption figures based on the system config they chose to use (1200W PSU...really?) but at around $100 it's gonna be hard to match the performance in that form factor.

Hey guys,

This model will be MSRP $139.99 USD. There will also be another model with a different heatsink for $129.99

If thats MSRP, figure a 5-10% markdown from that, and you're sitting around $125-130 range. Fairly reasonable price.

Gah, this would have been great for my carputer build if I hadnt just upgraded to an ASUS, bah

I have an ion 330 that I love, but it still struggles with flash how are the visions doing with heavy hulu and hd flash streams?

Any word on when Fusion boards will show up at e-tailers? Been browsing since many were announced at CES but still haven't seen any.

With a fanless heatsink, fanless PSU, and an SSD, you could have an HTPC with no moving parts.

Zarathustra[H];1036755318 said:
3D is probably a fad anyway...

Who said I cared about 3D?:p I just pointed it out.
I cudnt care less about the headache dimension. ;P

I can't see 3d being the next big thing unless things change alot, and by that time it will support 3d.

Wow, that is a great price for a system that will do all of that.

+1 on how well (if) it can OC.

Wow, that is a great price for a system that will do all of that.

Hmm..

I wonder how it compares to the Athlon 64 X2 3250e low power unit and its Radeon HD 3200 for HTPC duties like playing blu-rays and such at 1080p.

I ask because this is what's in my Dell Zino HD. I'm not used to buying complete systems, but this thing came in a tiny quiet case as a full system with 2GB of 800mhz DDR2 ram and a 250Gb hard drive for $200.

At the price for the mini ITX board with Zacate above, I still need to add a hard drive, RAM, Case and optical drive which will push the price much higher...

I haven't used the Zino HD as a HTPC yet (it's currently performing Linux Server duties) but I plan to in the future... I think it should be up to it

+1 on how well (if) it can OC.

For what most people will be using these for, it would be my assumption that the emphasis will be on silence, rather than on overclockability.

Zarathustra[H];1036757797 said:
Hmm..

I wonder how it compares to the Athlon 64 X2 3250e low power unit and its Radeon HD 3200 for HTPC duties like playing blu-rays and such at 1080p.

Interesting.

It looks like this unit at 1.6Ghz will be very similar (ever so slightly slower) in performance to the k8 based 3250e at 1.5ghz. Apparently AMD targeted it at 90% of the performance of k8 at the same clock speed.

So for HTPC use, the battle really comes down to the media decode acceleration of Radeon HD3200 vs Radeon HD6310.

Unless the HD3200 is unable to keep up with 1080p video, it will become rather difficult to justify the higher price of the Zacate/Brazos unit.

Zarathustra[H];1036757829 said:
Unless the HD3200 is unable to keep up with 1080p video, it will become rather difficult to justify the higher price of the Zacate/Brazos unit.

Keep in mind that Zacate is going to be way lower power than a K8/HD3200 based system and that the graphics performance is going to be way better. Zacate has fewer transistors too, so it should be cheaper to manufacture. MSI has thrown higher-end features on their board like USB3, but I would expect to see Zacate boards under $100 before too long.

There is absolutely zero reason to buy an Atom system anymore. Zacate is faster, cheaper, and has similarly low power consumption.

Zarathustra[H];1036757829 said:

I dunno, my HD3410 choked in some remuxed 1080p blurays, while my HD4350, and GMA4500MHD power through them just fine...

I guess maybe finally add 8ch audio, and HD bitstreaming support? I really hope so, lol. Previous AMD chipsets have failed in both reguards, so far.

Still have not found reasonable idle power consumption of this board, or any other Zacate boards for that matter.

Reviewers who did test idle power consumption did so with a pair of 10.000rpm HDDs and a 1200W power supply, not really the proper way to do it if i constrain myself from using stronger words.

The Zacate development platforms manages to get around 10W idle power consumption; half that of the Atom. To date, it's unsure how good actual products would approach that target. Some links that show Zacate power consumption on Zacate development platform:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=1039&type=expert&pid=8
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-Zacate-E350-Processor-Performance-Preview/?page=8
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1470/9/

The added value of the Brazos platform is, of course, the low power consumption making things like Zacate-powered tablets and other mobile devices possible, as well as making Brazos excellent as home server in the DIY-market. I look forward to both these products.

Well i'm very happy I saw this before pulling the trigger on parts for a low power file server. I think I just found what I was looking for.

Anandtech has a review up if anyone is interest. Has good power tests

Is there any indication as to when these will hit the market?

nice. nice for a Freenas box with the extra SATA ports.

any other brands releasing soon, and passive cooling?

Back