Intel Identifies Chipset Design Error, Implementing Solution

HardOCP News

[H] News
As part of ongoing quality assurance, Intel Corporation has discovered a design issue in a recently released support chip, the Intel® 6 Series, code-named Cougar Point, and has implemented a silicon fix. In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. The chipset is utilized in PCs with Intel's latest Second Generation Intel Core processors, code-named Sandy Bridge. Intel has stopped shipment of the affected support chip from its factories. Intel has corrected the design issue, and has begun manufacturing a new version of the support chip which will resolve the issue. The Sandy Bridge microprocessor is unaffected and no other products are affected by this issue.

The company expects to begin delivering the updated version of the chipset to customers in late February and expects full volume recovery in April. Intel stands behind its products and is committed to product quality. For computer makers and other Intel customers that have bought potentially affected chipsets or systems, Intel will work with its OEM partners to accept the return of the affected chipsets, and plans to support modifications or replacements needed on motherboards or systems. The systems with the affected support chips have only been shipping since January 9th and the company believes that relatively few consumers are impacted by this issue. The only systems sold to an end customer potentially impacted are Second Generation Core i5 and Core i7 quad core based systems. Intel believes that consumers can continue to use their systems with confidence, while working with their computer manufacturer for a permanent solution. For further information consumers should contact Intel at www.intel.com on the support page or contact their OEM manufacturer.

It this a chip that can be pulled, are are we talking about RMA'ing motherboards across the board here?

God this is horrible. Now I have to rely on Asus to send me a replacement motherboard in a month? I literally just built this computer last night, too.

...Intel believes that consumers can continue to use their systems with confidence, while working with their computer manufacturer for a permanent solution. For further information consumers should contact Intel at www.intel.com on the support page or contact their OEM manufacturer.

How can consumers use their systems with confidence when the SATA ports may go out/malfunction at any time? Glad I waited out this upgrade cycle so far.

I'd like to know more about board manufacturer's replacement plans when this gets settled.

God this is horrible. Now I have to rely on Asus to send me a replacement motherboard in a month? I literally just built this computer last night, too.

My board and cpu are on a truck right now waiting to be delivered to my office. Do I even bother putting the thing together? Return the whole damn thing to NewEgg? I have no idea what to do.

My board and cpu are on a truck right now waiting to be delivered to my office. Do I even bother putting the thing together? Return the whole damn thing to NewEgg? I have no idea what to do.

Talk to Newegg and see what they think. Does no good to return it if they send out a replacement that has the same problem. You could also talk to the manufacture of your motherboard.

I'm in the same boat. :(

The systems with the affected support chips have only been shipping since January 9th and the company believes that relatively few consumers are impacted by this issue.

I HIGHLY doubt that more than 10% of you on here will be effected so lets chill a little people! :rolleyes:

I HIGHLY doubt that more than 10% of you on here will be effected so lets chill a little people! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to know if you are in the 10% (if that is how many have it). Sucks to have dropped a good chunk of change on parts that will likely drop in price by the time the system is actually usable.

I just sent NewEgg an email asking them what to do in this situation. I'll post what I hear back.

Just don't use software RAID, so what if the SATA ports go out in a few months - by then the infrastructure will be in place to offer replacements...

There is also a thread about this in our motherboards forum, hit the link below to share your thoughts on this morning's announcement.

In regards to the Intel chipset design error press release we posted this morning, we want to hear your thoughts on the subject and how today's announcement has affected you.

We are talking to ASUS, GBT, and MSI now to see what strategies are being considered for solutions.

I'm currently talking to an Intel employee who refuses to apologize for his principle role in this error. This is outrageous!

Just a reminder people, degradation -> corruption. Get yourselves some external drives and back things up.

heh.. If I had these on the truck waiting to be delivered as a couple people in this thread have said my response is simple.. Refuse Delivery.. Pocket the change & see how things shake out before upgrading later.

depends what board you have, a lot of people bought the higher end ones, which included the marvell controller, so just move your drives to those ports and leave optical on intel.

I was about to finally upgrade in the next couple weeks. I wonder how long it will take to get the new boards in stock?

The ports potentially affected, interestingly enough, are the four 3Gbps SATA ports on the chipset. The two 6Gbps SATA ports aren't at risk.

For those with Asus boards and have more than 2 drives, I'd assume the Marvell 6Gbps ports are safe.

Can someone confirm that the 6 GB/sec ports are NOT affected?
That would be huge since most boards have 2x Marvell already so instead of losing 4 we only lose two ports.

That would be huge since most boards have 2x Marvell already so instead of losing 4 we only lose two ports.

lol...if only you could say most. All Asus boards have it, it seems only the GB UD7 has it (UD3P,UD4, and UD5 got shafted with two less ports) and a couple MSI boards including the GD65.

:( I just recently got a SB setup too. Well at least it sounds like the Marvell ports will be ok to use.

Glad my six month rule on buying new hardware is still paying off, I let the sheepl find this crap out for me.

Hence why I always wait for hardware revision 2.0 and above before I buy my mainboards.

I'm wondering if we'll start seeing "open box" Sandy Bridge Motherboards on some e-merchants. I'm pretty sure they will appear on e-bay.

I'm wondering if we'll start seeing "open box" Sandy Bridge Motherboards on some e-merchants. I'm pretty sure they will appear on e-bay.

Microcenter will just put them all back on the shelf with the new boards :rolleyes:

Anand reported it's only the 3Gbps ports.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall
It’s Limited to 3Gbps Ports Only
Interestingly enough the problem doesn’t affect ports 1 & 2 on the 6-series chipset. Remember that Intel has two 6Gbps ports and four 3Gbps ports on P67/H67, only the latter four are impacted by this problem.

If you’re a current Sandy Bridge user and want to be sure you don’t have any problems until you can get replacement hardware, stick to using the 6Gbps ports on your board (which should be the first two ports).

all i can say about this is their must be a party going on at amd right now

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU. First time in my life I went ahead and jumped on board with a release. Dont know if my ASRock will be affected but knowing my luck... :(

Glad I decided to wait until socket 2011.

Can't you guy's just send your boards back to the shops you bought them from?

damn , now gota take my setup apart again geesh , this side grade is starting to be a pain , let's hope all gets worked out for us and they make changing boards easy :mad:

Stuff like this is why I'm pulling the trigger on a Pci-E SATA raid-card so I never have to worry about this or varrying motherboard SATA controllers setups and worry about losing any of my data.

Back