Comcast Spreads Cash Wide On Capitol Hill

HardOCP News

[H] News
You would think doing stuff like this would be illegal but it's not. This is just business as usual on Capitol Hill. :(

Yet even before announcing its plans for Time Warner Cable, Comcast had donated to almost every member of Congress who has a hand in regulating it. In fact, money from Comcast’s political action committee has flowed to all but three members of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Checks have landed in the campaign coffers of Sens. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah), who oversee the chamber’s antitrust panel.

Hope and change, eh? :rolleyes: This does suck but, what are you going to do with the low information voters that allow this stuff to continue.

But Obama said he was going to fix lobbying. Are you calling Obama a liar. ;)

Nah, I am just racist. ;) What also stinks is that Comcast will probably become our only cable provider where I live when they purchase Time Warner.

Rabbit Ears are looking pretty good right now. $500.00 cable bills coming to a monthly statement near you soon.

Le me check something out about this "Obama" fellow. According to many news sources he has chosen a career in politics.

So yes, that pretty much means he's a filthy liar.

Most areas the cable companies have a monopoly any way so I'm not really sure it is going to change the internet costs. The TV costs are going to cost more for other companies but that may not get added to the subscribers bills to prevent them from just going to comcast.

So after thinking about this I have a feeling it is not going to impact end users.

Most areas the cable companies have a monopoly any way so I'm not really sure it is going to change the internet costs. The TV costs are going to cost more for other companies but that may not get added to the subscribers bills to prevent them from just going to comcast.

So after thinking about this I have a feeling it is not going to impact end users.

tehee, ho ho, HAHA, BWAHAHAHA

Well guess who votes on these kinds of issues and can make it legal or illegal :rolleyes:

If corporations are people, then they are without soul and very cold.

When you only have two or three or four choices and they all drink from the same financial cup-o-plenty your vote is nullified.

The "doesn't affect me, what do I care, free money" syndrome and what it has done to the states.
Need an fdisk -mbr.

Maybe Mike Lee can get Comcast to build an extra node so i can finally get something better than WISP 15mbps(read 1-5mbps) speeds. Stupid "you're 150feet too far from the node to get comcast".

672e35a7fbaf1257c0e4161531a0fbe89af62f0dd24e57b813f019d9f805d58b.jpg

"Enter the bureaucrats, the true rulers of the Republic; and on the payroll of Comcast, I might add. This is where President Obama's strength will disappear."

It's seemed so ludicrously comical when George Lucas did it, but to see it in reality, it's....still ludicrous, but in a...different..way.

Corporations are people. Emotionless, non-empathetic, constantly working to advance at all costs. They routinely violate laws on the calculation the risk of being caught and the punishment are worth it. They're psychopaths.

As long as we have a political system where immortal, fantastically wealthy psychopaths can finance campaigns, this is inevitable.

Yes, Political Action Committees are "people". Regardless, while $5-15K will get you a passable hooker in Vegas it probably won't buy you a US Senator. You're going to need to funnel a bit more money into their coffers than that. Which is being done.

Corporations are people. Emotionless, non-empathetic, constantly working to advance at all costs. They routinely violate laws on the calculation the risk of being caught and the punishment are worth it. They're psychopaths.

As long as we have a political system where immortal, fantastically wealthy psychopaths can finance campaigns, this is inevitable.

Couldn't have said it better in any other way. +1

Polies should all wear suits like this, then maybe, MAYBE, people will think twice before voting.

All of this bullshit started with the allowance of PAC's. They are ruining this country by essentially buying off politicians. Now I know this shit has been going on since the founding fathers but it has gotten out of control the past 20 years.

I work for a British Company that was bought out by an American company a few years ago.

Every year we have to sit through a refresher course on the the US "Foreign Corrupt Practices Act" and are reminded how even as non US citizens living and working outside the US we are bound by the act and by offering even a single small bribe, or even something that could be considered a bribe (like a meal or even offering bagles with coffee at a meeting without written permisson from legal) has the potential to land out parent company in the US with massive fines.

I guess in the eyes of the US, bribing government officials is only corrupt if they are dirty backwards foreigners, because those fine upstanding US officials can be trusted to make impartial decisions regardless of the gifts showered on them. :rolleyes:

Polies should all wear suits like this, then maybe, MAYBE, people will think twice before voting.
I second this. Every lobby money they take should be public record and easily obtained. Hell, everything these asshats do should be publicly accessible.

http://www.opensecrets.org
"Lobbying clients must disclose which federal agencies they lobby, but not the names or titles of the individuals with whom they meet."

But this doesn't really give a clear picture of where the money actually goes, now does it?

IMO...hell yes it is. It sure would be if anyone other than a bureaucrat took money to sway their decision on a legal matter.

We have the best government money can buy !
Too bad we po' folk can't afford the even the cheapest of bureaucrats.

I work for a British Company that was bought out by an American company a few years ago.

Every year we have to sit through a refresher course on the the US "Foreign Corrupt Practices Act" and are reminded how even as non US citizens living and working outside the US we are bound by the act and by offering even a single small bribe, or even something that could be considered a bribe (like a meal or even offering bagles with coffee at a meeting without written permisson from legal) has the potential to land out parent company in the US with massive fines.

I guess in the eyes of the US, bribing government officials is only corrupt if they are dirty backwards foreigners, because those fine upstanding US officials can be trusted to make impartial decisions regardless of the gifts showered on them. :rolleyes:

FCPA is hilarious. I get the same annual training despite not being in a position to do anything anyway. I've told my manager directly that if they want me to bribe anyone out of pocket, I need a big raise.

Well guess who votes on these kinds of issues and can make it legal or illegal :rolleyes:

If corporations are people, then they are without soul and very cold.

And how is that different from Unions (which are considered people too)

Because five conservative Justices on the Supreme Court said so.

All they did was level the playing field with the unions.

I think it would be better if all campain contributions where limited to only registered voters.
No corporations, no unions, no foreign governments, no Pacs, etc.

Back