Teen Scientist Wins Intel Science Talent Search

HardOCP News

[H] News
From new cancer treatments to an exploration of how technology affects the adolescent brain, the innovative research of America's future scientists, engineers and inventors took center stage in the nation's capital today. Honoring high school seniors with exceptional scientific promise, Intel Corporation and Society for Science & the Public (SSP) recognized the winners of the Intel Science Talent Search, the nation's most prestigious pre-college science and math competition. Eric S. Chen, 17, of San Diego won the top award of $100,000 from the Intel Foundation for his research of potential new drugs to treat influenza.

100k and 630k total money, what a joke for a multi-billion dollar company.. what a joke, kind of American Idol and such.

ooh gawd it gets worse, over 20k is split in yearly payments... you know 'cause 100k is so much money,

Intel does other stuff besides this and anyway, who gives someone who's 17 years old more than 100k? I mean if I was still 17, I'd love to have any money at all and would have been like "OMGOMGOMGMOOOOONEY!" if someone was going to give me as much as Intel just did.

while I love these, I do wonder how much outside "help" gets done. I'm sure these kids are smarter than me in these field by leaps and bounds, but how does a 17 year old develop a drug to treat influenza? The 2nd place person I could at least grasp how they could have done it since they simply made a computer model of a heart beating using fluid dynamics

He still will have to pay taxes on that money and unless he has deductions it will most likely be at whatever that marginal rate is.

Back