Apple Demands $40 Per Phone From Samsung

HardOCP News

[H] News
I get that sinking feeling that, just because it's Apple, the jury will approve this ridiculous demand. :(

A damages expert will argue on Apple's behalf that, if the parties had acted reasonably and rationally in a hypothetical negotiation, Samsung would have agreed to pay $40 -- forty dollars! -- per phone or tablet sold as a total royalty for the five patents-in-suit, which relate to (but don't even fully monopolize) the phone number tapping feature, unified search, data synchronization, slide-to-unlock, and autocomplete.

Quite frankly if apple went bankrupt very few people would even care after a year. This company is starting to piss a lot of people off, and its showing in their sales. Its strange how these demands are only attempted vs their biggest competitor too. Samsung tablets have skyrocketed in sales wheres ipads have dropped significantly

Here's to hoping the majority of the jurors have a Samsung phone (Galaxy S3 or Note, etc) and realize that a $40 "TAX" per phone would only serve to increase their next phone purchase.

I have no faith that they will actually judge the case based on merits. :(

Quite frankly if apple went bankrupt very few people would even care after a year. This company is starting to piss a lot of people off, and its showing in their sales. Its strange how these demands are only attempted vs their biggest competitor too. Samsung tablets have skyrocketed in sales wheres ipads have dropped significantly

Your Apple butthurt has begun to make you say things that are utter bullshit.

Apple's sales numbers have grown, each iphone and ipad breaks the previous record.

http://www.macworld.com/article/206...d-adjusts-to-a-changing-tablet-landscape.html

The love for Samsung on this forum for being almost exactly like Apple is the epitome of double standards.

Apple's sales numbers have grown, each iphone and ipad breaks the previous record.

http://www.macworld.com/article/206...d-adjusts-to-a-changing-tablet-landscape.html

The love for Samsung on this forum for being almost exactly like Apple is the epitome of double standards.

" The post-holiday cratering of Android tablet shipments has ceased, and in the third quarter, while iPad sales were falling, Apple’s rivals shipped 30.5 million units—a gain of 169.9 percent year-over-year."

straight from your article, fancy that

I would love for Samsung to cry to Google and Google counter sues Apple for shit they copied.

not to mention...

It wasn’t all good news, however. The Cupertino company said it sold 14.6 million iPads in Q3 compared to 17 million in the same quarter a year ago, falling well below analyst expectations of 18.3 million. It also sold 3.8 million Macs, compared to 4 million 12 months earlier.

Apple posted quarterly revenue of $35.3 billion ($35 billion a year ago) and a quarterly net profit of $6.9 billion ($8.8 billion a year ago).

One area of concern for the Cupertino company will be the news that revenue from China – one of Apple’s most important markets – plummeted by 43 percent compared to the second quarter and by 14 percent on a year earlier, though Cook said during a conference call that he doesn’t get discouraged “over a 90-day kind of cycle.”

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...ord-for-quarter-while-ipad-sales-slow/#!zxGFF

I don't like Samsung very much and I'm on this forum. I bought a netbook from them in like 2011 and it was super cheaply made. The plastic that they used to make it was very, very thin and flexible and it didn't really last very long before it started to crack and break. The touchpad buttons only worked well for like maybe 6 months before the left one started to not recognize clicks unless you pressed really hard. Of course, I was carrying it around a lot and it pretty much went everywhere with me, but I wish it would have lasted longer.

Correct me if I am wrong here but that article only states iPad sales in general have grown. It doesn't state that each iPhone and iPad break previous sales records. How do you know which model of iPad/iPhone was sold? Your statement may still be correct but I don't see anything in the article that backs it up unless I overlooked it.

They have grown in general. I linked that article showing the general growth, in response to someone saying they fell drastacally.

I will have to try and find the article I thought I read that mentioned the iPhone 5S breaking the record. Might just be the iphone that does well.

They have grown in general. I linked that article showing the general growth, in response to someone saying they fell drastacally.

I will have to try and find the article I thought I read that mentioned the iPhone 5S breaking the record. Might just be the iphone that does well.

The only growth it shows is in the US market, not to mention your sourced article is a site dedicated exclusively to apple products, why would they report on the negatives such as a 40+% loss in some markets? Corporate BS is corporate BS no matter what the source

I don't like Samsung very much and I'm on this forum. I bought a netbook from them in like 2011 and it was super cheaply made. The plastic that they used to make it was very, very thin and flexible and it didn't really last very long before it started to crack and break. The touchpad buttons only worked well for like maybe 6 months before the left one started to not recognize clicks unless you pressed really hard. Of course, I was carrying it around a lot and it pretty much went everywhere with me, but I wish it would have lasted longer.

There are different quality levels of products from all companies. In terms of netbooks, there's not much any company is going to offer for quality since its a small form factor on the budget. Not even apple has anything to compete. In terms of Ultrabooks, Mac does have the Mac Air and in that category Samsung has their highend Series 9 which the body is constructed out of Duraluminum which is stronger than Apples Alluminum. Not like either body will crack.

I see your apple friendly article and raise you this:

Samsung dominating Apple

And this wasn't the only year, they were beating Apple last year as well. Also for the record breaking numbers, you have to understand that Apple also veiled that this year with release 2 new iPhone 5s as opposed to previous years where it continued to sell its older model. So you have the iPhone 5S and the iPhone5C instead of an iPhone 5S and an iPhone 4S. The ratio of sales was roughly 4:1 (5S to 5C). If you have 60 million (which is the ultra high estimate of total iPhone 5 sales), that means about 12 million were 5C, which would traiditionally be their old model. Which means in reality the new model would have only sold 48 million. What all does that mean? Who knows, but the fact is the numbers are inflated this year.

Apple gives Samsung money, then Samsung gives Apple money...

its the birthday present circle all over again.

all those things apple claims to have invented have been around LONG before apple put them into the iphone.

They may not have been prominent or popular, but apple did NOT invent autocomplete... fucking deal with it.

A broken and corrupt government catering to a douchebag company, yup be proud apple fans.

What's to stop me from going and patenting something absurd like picking your nose or wiping your ass. Never mind that it's been around for thousands of years, I was the first one to put my name on it, so you have to pay me $40 a year to be able to LEGALLY wipe your ass?

This patent troll has gotten away with a lot because near retirees like judges, lawyers, politicians, etc. have AAPL in their 401K and investments so there's big time bias in favor of Apple. All those fraudulent patents are prior art or too obvious so Apple doesn't even deserve 4 cents.

That article still shows a significant market loss for Apple. Previously year apple had 53% of all tablet sales, wheres the 2013 numbers apple only had a 36% share of the sales. Losing 17% of your sales to your competition is a massive downward trend

Sales and market share are two different things.

I see your apple friendly article and raise you this:

Samsung dominating Apple

And this wasn't the only year, they were beating Apple last year as well. Also for the record breaking numbers, you have to understand that Apple also veiled that this year with release 2 new iPhone 5s as opposed to previous years where it continued to sell its older model. So you have the iPhone 5S and the iPhone5C instead of an iPhone 5S and an iPhone 4S. The ratio of sales was roughly 4:1 (5S to 5C). If you have 60 million (which is the ultra high estimate of total iPhone 5 sales), that means about 12 million were 5C, which would traiditionally be their old model. Which means in reality the new model would have only sold 48 million. What all does that mean? Who knows, but the fact is the numbers are inflated this year.

Again, apples and oranges. What are the sales comparisions of the iPhone vs the S4. You can't compare and use market numbers that apple is not even in.

I bet you Honda sold more civics than Chevy did Corvettes. Does that even matter?

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/...sales-vs-apple-iphone-5-sales.html/?a=viewall

S4 vs iPhone 5... These two products are targeted at the same market.

Here's to hoping the majority of the jurors have a Samsung phone (Galaxy S3 or Note, etc) and realize that a $40 "TAX" per phone would only serve to increase their next phone purchase.

I have no faith that they will actually judge the case based on merits. :(

I'm sure lawyers on both side will ask them what cells they own. :)

Again, apples and oranges. What are the sales comparisions of the iPhone vs the S4. You can't compare and use market numbers that apple is not even in.

I bet you Honda sold more civics than Chevy did Corvettes. Does that even matter?

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/...sales-vs-apple-iphone-5-sales.html/?a=viewall

can you not read? Increaased sales numbers isnt the whole picture. In fact one of the most important keys is they lost profitability even in the US where sales increased. And high sales in one market means absolutely nothing if your 2nd biggest market dropped in over 40% in revenue (i.e significantly less sales)

Whoa whoa whoa, Samsung is the standard of capitalism with a perfect ethics record that serves as a pillar of light for other companies to strive towards. Apple is the most corrupt company in the history of business that is going bankrupt within a few weeks and buying their products is the equivalent of supporting Nazi Germany.

How can any of those five things be patented?
1981 SCOTUS decision and because the USPTO doesn't even follow its own rules.

It wouldn't be so bad if all these obvious/prior art existed but got a patent anyways patents were expiring so many years after a rush, but the USPTO just keeps issuing these poor quality patents. :mad:

It is not Apples and Oranges. It is comparing market share in the mobile phone market. Market share that Apple has been losing for a number of years now. And it is one company vs another company. That is how these things work. Explain to me where that is Apples and Oranges. I am not comparing Android to Apple, which could also be a fair comparison as they are types of phones. I am merely comparing Samsung to Apple, which are specific companies. You can continue to cherry pick all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that Apple is suing Samsung because they are getting beat by them now and are rapidly starting to lose their market share to other products, and Samsung is the leader among those other products.

Apple, the only company in the history of man that has successfully deployed a perception of reality warping force field.

Man, everyone wants a slice of each others profit from $600 smartphones that only cost $200 to manufacture...

My thoughts -

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

$40 per device? Fuck Apple. I can't stand this lawsuit for profits BS. Same as with my beloved Microsoft and their BS Android lawsuits to get money. They make more on Android lawsuits and licensing than they do on Windows Phone.

This is still not comparable. Apple ships its newest phone at the height of the buying season, they release in the fall for a Christmas final quarter rally. The S series phones are released in the spring at one of the worst times to sell and by the time they get to the Christmas season not only does their phone feel like its old news they have already released a newer phone, the note. Second the S series is a high end phone but not the ONLY high end phone Samsung sells. Where apple only sells 1 high end phone. So you should also be counting note phablet sales as well. Apple resisted releasing lower end phones for a long time for a very important reason, they knew it would eat in to their high end phone sales.

The fact is no one can directly compare because neither company is willing to show their cards. If apple really was so confident they would release a break down of their sales of each phone. But the fact they do not tells you they have something to hide. Apple fans keep looking to justify this. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter how you break it up, once up and coming Chinese phone makers start rising to the top things will get even worse, but because they will partially eat into samsungs sales apple fans will keep saying oh well apple still sells the most of 1 phone. But their market share will keep dwindling.

The way the USPTO and even the PUTOS gang bend over, the US is going to be nothing but Apple Intel and Nvidia soon. While still having to pay $20k+ for helicopter medivacs from a car accident that wasn't your fault nearly taking your life. Beautiful, great country. Shame about the people that ru(i)n it.

Apple sales almost double what samsung sales:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/03/ga...droid-grabs-top-spot-from-ipad-with-62-share/

Comparing straight to Android gives a skewed number.

Comparing straight to Samsung gives a skewed number in Apple's favor. You're comparing 1 complete ecosystem, the iOS, to a subset of another eco-system (Android). That's like comparing OSX to Windows 7 on DELL machines only and saying the install-base is growing for Apple.

If people want Apple, they have to go with an Apple product. If people want Android, they have a vast choice over just Samsung.

Back