ASUS ROG Announces Exciting New Gaming Notebooks

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) today announced the G750JZ, G750JM and G750JS, new additions to its highly acclaimed range of G-Series high-performance gamer-centric notebooks. These latest G750 models feature a 4th-generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700 processor and the latest enthusiast-level NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 800M Series GPUs. Exclusive ASUS TurboMaster GPU-overclocking software is included to easily provide even better performance than at default settings. With its sleek design and components that are chosen with the needs of serious gamers in mind, the G750 sets the standard for amazing portable gaming performance.

Great systems. Just don't expect to be able to tinker I side much with them.

I'm interested mostly in battery life improvements from the move to Maxwell gpu.

Well since these are not maxwell...

I'm interested mostly in battery life improvements from the move to Maxwell gpu.

Only one has the maxwell GPU, the G750JM with 860m.

Well since these are not maxwell...

See above.

i thought the GTX 8*m series were maxwell based?

Plenty of 8 series ones on Xotic
http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gamin...ops-with-nvidia-video-cards-ct-95_51_178.html

and is 8Gig even needed on a mobile GPU, can it even power a game that would need 8gig of vram...

For now, only the 860m will be Maxwell based.

Have you used any gaming notebook? Some of these beast gaming notebooks can run modern games at full HD resolutions on ultra graphics, especially in OC'ed properly and volt modded; but this is usually a trade off as you have to make sure you have adequate cooling which includes a proper stand hindering their mobility slightly.

These things really are more desktop replacements than anything else. Their attraction is more in line with setting them up connected to external monitor, keyboard & mouse and retaining the ability to easily transport them if you truly need to.

Since the Asus chips are on add in cards (though not strictly mxm) they will likely use the kepler version of the 860m.

Since the Asus chips are on add in cards (though not strictly mxm) they will likely use the kepler version of the 860m.

Add in cards? The ASUS ROG laptops use a proprietary MXM form factor due to their unique laptop designs and award winning cooling solutions while maintaining their slim and sleek looks. If they used a standard MXM card then their notebooks would either be fat or look ordinary like Clevo notebooks; not to mention they probably wouldn't cool the GPUs worth a damn.

Marshall@ASUS has already confirmed that the 860m is Maxwell over at the ROG forums. I suggest you head on over there and check the discussion out. I'd link you but I'm on my BlackBerry Q10 and it's a pain.

The Asus add in cards are larger than standard mxm cards so i am not sure how that helps keep them smaller.

Mostly it means users can't upgrade them.

I just bought a G750 yesterday with the Gtx765m. It's actually great for the money. Can play bf4 with ultra/high settings 1080p @ 40-50fps depending on the map. These gtx8**m models could probably max it out with ultra settings with better battery life. I personally don't think it would be a smart idea to do any sort of heavy gaming solely on battery power though.

Not really a good idea for the life of the battery but at least people have a choice.

Like I said the Asus machines are very good, just for those who like to tweak and change things (which is the minority after all) then not so much.

good to know, i am tossed between some sager models, the MSI new ones with the 860m.

while the ROG is nice, the cooling does look superior to all other laptops, but i dont really like the look of the shell, a friend a work literally just bought one about 2 months ago and it looks too...i guess flashy for me and bulky, since he did get the 17.3 model with the 770m i think.

The Asus add in cards are larger than standard mxm cards so i am not sure how that helps keep them smaller.

Mostly it means users can't upgrade them.

They are neither larger nor smaller, the socket is exactly the same size and a standard MXM. The shape is different depending on case and board design, and on older models the MXM pins inside the socket were inverted (not sure if they still invert the pins on their socket).

The G73 was actually the only ROG notebook than used a 100% standard MXM GPU and the reason it was incredibly successful. Almost every enthusiast that still owns one has upgraded the GPU to a AMD 7970m.

They seem to be nice laptops but not user upgradeable as an Alienware.

was looking at the maxwell version on xoticpc. they have it for about $50 less than retail and allow you to upgrade the thermal compound for the cpu/gpu and "copper heatsink" for a marginal amount. i wonder what kind of difference that would make.

Asus card

G750-GTX780M-3.jpg

Standard mxm:

2128.jpg

The Asus is not quite as tall but much wider. Having a bigger board means you can make the pcb have fewer layers which makes it cheaper to produce. This is makes it cheaper to produce and stops people upgrading for the most part.

You can upgrade the gpu in your msi by the way.

You can upgrade the gpu in your msi by the way.

I didn't think that was feasible on most laptops. I will start a separate thread asking about it since my google searches could not answer this conclusively.

The 860m (particularly the maxwell version that should overclock exceedingly well) is going to be a great boon for those looking for a reasonably-priced gaming laptop that performs very well. For those only familiar with desktop performance, your looking at around gtx 480/hd 7850 power -- not too shabby for a midrange mobile card.

As for this "new" model Asus, it's more or less the same design theyve been using for the past 4 years. That's not necessarily a bad thing as it's a great laptop: nice-looking, not too flashy, decent cooling. The only issues are this is using the Kepler 860m, and worse, there's no upgrade path like most other gaming laptop brands, and it's more of the same from Asus. Additionally, Asus has really been upping their prices lately, a far cry from their initial gaming laptop offerings.

I didn't think that was feasible on most laptops. I will start a separate thread asking about it since my google searches could not answer this conclusively.

Just ti give you a quick run down...

- Yes, you can upgrade many gaming laptop GPUs and CPUs. It's rather straightforward on most models and not too much harder than upgrading a desktop card.
- Some brands don't make it easy (or make it impossible) to upgrade anything for the reason, among others, to keep you coming back every couple years or months for a complete new system. Razer, Asus, some MSI models' chips are soldered onto the motherboard not allowing you to change them out. There can also be vbios compatibility issues. Alienware, Sager/Clevo and most MSI models allow you to upgrade.
- The cost of OEM mobile video cards are very high, often prohibitively so. A GTX 780m (which has essentially the same chip and memory as a $350 gtx 770, costs $600+. Mobile graphics cards are also hard to find, in general.

All in all, while you can upgrade a gaming laptop's video card, it's more often than not not worth it.

Just wondering if the GTX 880M is comparable to 780GTX on PC. Or is it?

Welcome the world of laptop GPU branding where confusing naming is in no short supply... :)

A GTX 780m and GTX 880m are both the same chip (G104) as a desktop GTX 680 or GTX 770. The only difference is the mobile cards run at slower speeds (although most 780ms and 880ms can be overclocked to desktop card levels).

There is no equivalent to the desktop GTX 780 on laptops (nor could there likely be due to the extra power and heat requirements).

Is there a current best bang for the buck gaming laptop out there? That can handles games like diablo 3, wow, civ V, etc, with ease?

Just wondering if the GTX 880M is comparable to 780GTX on PC. Or is it?

lol, good one!

Ahem, laptop cards don't come close to the same performance as the desktop counterparts. They use the same numbering scheme in order to bring in the suckers...I mean, to bring in the less informed buyers.

2nd this. The 860m is really the first midrange mobile card that can handle most games at 1080p on high.

Actually though, the 850m (ddr5 version) is the exact same card as the 860m only with slower speeds (which should easily overclock to 860m levels and above, or even flash to its vbios) -- the 850m is the real value card.

Edit: as for best bang for buck, it really depends on how big a laptop you need and your other preferences. You should be able to find a range of laptops that fits your needs with an 850m or 860m for between $900-1100. Also, you may want to wait to see what Lenovo offers with 8xxms as they usually have very good price/performance -- if they come out with a y510p with dual 850m for around $1000 (like they did with their prior y510ps), that will likely destroy any other offering in the price range.

Last edited:
Yeah to match an 780ti desktop you really need 780M SLI.

Back