The 'Boring' Game That Became A Smash Hit

HardOCP News

[H] News
This game may not look like much but, judging by the amount of people that bought it and all the award nominations, it is apparently quite good.

"You play a border inspector at a contentious check-point. People are coming into your booth, and they want to get from one side to the other. You've got to check their documents and make sure everything's in order before you let them through. It's hard to describe the game and make it sound fun," says Lucas Pope, 36, the developer responsible for the most unlikely of smash hits.

In-app purchases?
$2 for metal detector wand
$5 for body scan on males
$10 for body scan on females
$15 for full cavity search

It's a fantastic game, I enjoyed the crap out of it, even when it was poking at my conscience.

In-app purchases?

Heh, Sort of, but you pay with your game salary. No real money.

I thoroughly enjoy Papers Please. It's just SO different. Its a game of balancing speed with accuracy. Let as many people through the crossing without getting penalized for allowing unauthorized entries. It gets tougher as you go along as well. Start out just checking dates and times. Then you have to make sure their weight is correct. Then you have to make sure they have proper working papers. Then you have to search them for contraband. Then you have to shoot terrorists trying to bomb the boarder. It just gets out of hand near the end.

i can see the next phase.. the government outsources this aspect of border patrol to a private company, which then makes a "game" and ends up having people PAY them to do the job remotely from home

i can see the next phase.. the government outsources this aspect of border patrol to a private company, which then makes a "game" and ends up having people PAY them to do the job remotely from home

Haha, or they can just use drones...

It's really a stupid game, that's fun. It has a lot of different endings depending on some of the choices you make. Was a great time killer for about a month

"Papers, Please" is so damned good. People who haven't played it won't understand.

I enjoyed the demo and still plan to pick the game up at some point.

In-app purchases?

...and not an app (like on your phone), PC game

Fun, but tough. Take a look at some of the endings on *youtube if you don't mind spoilers and have played it.

"Papers, Please" is so damned good. People who haven't played it won't understand.

Agreed...great game. There are a LOT of different "endings", too, so it has quite a bit of replay value. I am not sure if the actual order/variety of people that come to the booth each day is randomized, though. I know there are some "story" characters that always come, but other than that I don't know if the rest is random or not.

Papers Please is a surprisingly addictive game
Unfortunately I always got to a stop gap point where I couldn't be efficient enough without in game purchases.

I have been thinking for a while that I'll be picking it up in the next great sale. I have a friend or 2 that had a lot of praise for it, but as mentionned in the article, it's pretty hard to make this game sound fun.

You always have to do the same things everyday, but the appeal to that is that there are random variations every time. Then you reach a point where you have to do a lot more, and there are also several possible endings depending on the choices you make. And even in the game's small "scope" so to speak, there is actually some "side quests" there.

I posted about this a long time ago, when it was still in Beta. Bought and beat the game already. A couple of endings.

What makes this game attractive is the decisions you make. It makes you feel guilty about the people you let in, and weighing them against your family.

Back