Can't stop the Windows 10 upgrade

Metformin

Gawd
I installed the Windows 10 Upgrade and could really care less for it.I reverted back to Windows 7 Pro,no problem there.Now,everytime I boot into Windows 7,Windows Update starts downloading Windows 10 without asking.I unchecked the Windows 10 Upgrade in Windows Update,but it still starts to download it.I start the task master and end the upgrade and it still downloads.I change my windows update setting to don't download anything at all and STILL:rolleyes: I uninstalled KB3035583 with no luck.WTF:mad: I'm beginning to see why the upgrade is free.Anyway to stop Windows 10? Aside from wiping the disk and downgrading to Windows Vista:D

See post under 1 Answer section: http://superuser.com/questions/951277/tell-windows-7-to-stop-trying-to-upgrade-to-windows-10

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade\State]
"OSUpgradeState"=dword:00000001
"OSUpgradeStateTimeStamp"="2015-07-28 10:09:55"

Save that as whatever.reg and double click it to import.

Tried and didn't work.Guess I'm going to have wipe the drive and reinstall Windows 7.

If you didn't stop the upgrade task, it probably overwrote those registry entries as it continued with the upgrade process.

Tried and didn't work.Guess I'm going to have wipe the drive and reinstall Windows 7.

It's a bug. it says it is install Windows 10, but it isn't (if you unselected) - check WindowsUpdate.log to double check. Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder if you like, too.

It's a bug. it says it is install Windows 10, but it isn't (if you unselected) - check WindowsUpdate.log to double check. Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder if you like, too.

Best answer selected:cool: Unchecked the Upgrade to Win7 Pro.Let Update install all the important updates plus the optionals.Everything is :cool: now.

in my case the update pop up comes up. The one that gives you the option of schedule or start upgrade now. how do i cancel this? ive already uninstalled KB3035583 and deleted software distribution. but this upgrade pop up keeps appearing after every reboot.

Anyone? This is the loop I'm in. at every reboot screen number 1 pops up; And when I open windows update I am presented with screen 2. as you can see it's a loop. does not matter how many times I reboot, I get the same thing. I've uninstalled KB3035583 to prevent the windows 10 icon from appearing. I have deleted windows installation files to get rid of the windows 10 download files; And I've set windows update to check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them. HELP PLEASE.

6iwniv.jpg

kcgw1h.jpg

utter comedy. where are the closet MS employees that cried tin foil hattery and insisted a few months ago this wasn't going to happen?

love how Microsoft touts proudly how many "Are making the switch to 10!" when in reality it's predatory bait and switch trickery that's inflating their numbers.

utter comedy. where are the closet MS employees that cried tin foil hattery and insisted a few months ago this wasn't going to happen?

love how Microsoft touts proudly how many "Are making the switch to 10!" when in reality it's predatory bait and switch trickery that's inflating their numbers.

Right here. No closet, I work here and have said such for quite some time. I try to help where I can, but I've been off the Windows team for over 3 years now. This sounds like a bug or unintended behavior on a corner case. E.g. some combination of timing with "I want it, no I don't" where the pieces that line up to install the upgrade end up disconnected from those that cancel it.

There's nothing predatory/bait and switch going on. Marketing bots will be marketing bots, we can't control them, but we can try to limit their negative impact (and, sometimes, use them for good). Our goal is really to make stuff you want to use. Lots of us are engineers, tinkerers, "makers", and what have you. Like most people who would willingly associate themselves with those groups, we want to make stuff people want to have and want to use. Also like most people in that group, we get tired of annoying pissants like you that would love nothing better than to act the pigeon in every discussion regarding something we make. Are we perfect? Absolutely not. Do we make mistakes? Fuck yes. Sometimes really big ones. Why do you spend so much time trying to shit on us and strut around like you're a winner because you, very obviously, don't like Microsoft?

As for OP, sadly, I don't know and haven't seen much of that issue :-\. To debug stuff like that I'd usually start looking at what the process is doing - procmon is great - and try to find a culpable registry key or file that is triggering it. Otherwise, try disabling auto updates, nuking the windows update cache, and re-enable auto-updates to see if it fixes it?

In another thread there was a couple of people complaining that Win10 downloaded in the background when they didn't even reserve a copy.

I don't want Win10 because of the data harvesting. No one wants that.

I actually had tried those solutions in the link. No dice. Thankfully I had created a windows image days ago. I restored that image uninstalled the update that is associated with the Windows 10 update, hid it in windows update and viola windows 10 upgrade bug screens and icons are gone forever. Good riddance. When Windows 10 matures I may got back to it. But until then, I'm sticking with windows 7.

It is not happening but, whatever. :rolleyes: Windows 10 is not being force-ably upgraded but hey, what do I know, I only work on thousands of computers a year.

You sir are wrong I have deinstalled both th 5583 and 6978 that try to install win 10 I also ran disk clean hid the updates etc. reboot and windows immediately started to down load win 10. If that isn't force feeding I don't know what is. Ms is getting me po. So far I have to uncheck the win 10 update and it keeps coming back. THis is MS BS!!

You sir are wrong I have deinstalled both th 5583 and 6978 that try to install win 10 I also ran disk clean hid the updates etc. reboot and windows immediately started to down load win 10. If that isn't force feeding I don't know what is. Ms is getting me po. So far I have to uncheck the win 10 update and it keeps coming back. THis is MS BS!!

You sir are having a user error issue or a bug on your system. You are not being forced to install it.

i dont want windows 10 im going back too seven right now
hope it goes smooth

Yep all went well win 7 all updates installed
I didn't install the optional ones
hasn't bugged me for win 10 yet, no sign of it
good

Last edited:
How to Fix Infinite Windows 10 Reinstalls After Rollback From a W7/W8 W10 "Upgrade"

I just had a client who unwittingly allowed W10 to "upgrade" her W7 system. She asked me to roll W10 back to W7 because W10 was so fundamentally broken and slow it was unusable. Here's my story of that rollback.

First, the W10 All Settings menu was broken right from the get go after the W10 "upgrade", so until I fixed that, it was impossible to access Update and Security to perform the rollback.

Looking at Event Viewer, every time I tried to open All Settings, SynTPEnh.exe, one of the Synaptics touchpad driver helper programs, crashed.

Figuring that was causing the problem, I removed the Synaptics touchpad item from add/remove. For good measure, while I was at it, I removed Norton, figuring that might be problematic, as well as a few other applications like icloud, quicktime, and itunes, figuring they would be restored during the rollback anyway. Turns out that was a HUGE mistake though the rollback would have been impossible without removing at least the Synaptics software.

At any rate, after rebooting after removing all of this stuff, All Settings started functioning for the first time, and I could perform the rollback with Update and Security.

And then the nightmare began.

First, rolling back did not undo the original W10 reservation, so no matter what I did, I could not keep W10 from redownloading and reattempting to reinstall. Searching the web, I found no solution, but did find MANY people nearly in tears with the same problem. Looking at how all this works, it looks to me like probably everyone who rolled back from W10 is going to find that their reservation does not get cancelled and that W10 is going to attempt to reinstall forever.

But I finally came up with a solution that I think should work to solve this problem for everyone.

1. Make a Restore Point for insurance.

2. From the Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories, start a cmd window in Administrative mode by right clicking Command Prompt to expose the context sensitive drop down menu and left click on "Run as Administrator". Leave the cmd window open for subsequent commands, and after each reboot, immediately reopen cmd in Administrator mode like this for subsequent commands.

3. Set automatic updates to Never check for updates: cut & paste into the open cmd window:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 00000001 /f

4. Disable and stop the Windows Update service (wuauserv): cut & paste into the open cmd window:

sc config wuauserv start= disabled

(note that the space after "=" is critical)

When that's done, cut and paste into the open cmd window:

net stop wuauserv

5. Now remove KB3035583: cut & paste into the open cmd window::

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart

Note, at this time, if you wish to go ahead and remove the recent plethora of W10 spyware that Microsoft has installed on your W7/W8 systems, you can repeat the above command as follows:

wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214 /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3012973 /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978 /norestart

(Note that not all of these will be on all systems.)

6. Restart the system. Note that sometimes after removing the above updates, the restart can take a LONG time, sometimes even hours; be patient, it should eventually complete.

7. Now delete C:\$WINDOWS.~BT via cleanmgr ("cleanmgr" cut and pasted into the cmd window), using its Clean Up System Files option which appears after cleanmgr makes its initial (lengthy) scan. After the second (lengthy) scan from using the Clean Up System Files option, you'll see one or two of the categories showing +GB sizes, though you can pretty much safely check all the categories for deletion if you wish (though I tend to leave the setup logs and error categories alone so you can see these in Event Viewer). Good instructions for doing this can be found at http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-is-the-windows-bt-folder-on-my-hard-drive/

8. Delete the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, which btw can't be deleted without first doing Step 4. Also, don't worry: when you eventually restart Updates, SoftwareDistribution will be recreated.

Cut & paste into the cmd window:

rmdir /s /q "%SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution"

9. Fire up regedit from the cmd window, and search for and remove all keys named GWX (and gwx). An easy way to do this is to use the match whole string option of regedit's search box. Also the search is case insensitive so all GWX/gwx will be found in one search no matter which way you type it. There will be 4-6 instances of this key in the registry.

10. Still in regedit, clear out all keys and values from HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate EXCEPT what's shown below. If the optional ElevateNonAdmins or NoAUAsDefaultShutdownOption don't exist, ignore. If DisableOSUpgrade doesn't exist (and it probably won't) create it as a DWORD with value 1.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"ElevateNonAdmins"=dword:00000001
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAUAsDefaultShutdownOption"=dword:00000001

11. Still in regedit, clear out all keys and values from HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade except what's shown below. If DWORD values AllowOSUpgrade or ReservationsAllowed don't exist or have values of "1", create them and/or set to "0". Set DWORD OSUpgradeState to "1". Don't worry about OSUpgradeStateTimeStamp.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
"AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000000
"ReservationsAllowed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade\State]
"OSUpgradeState"=dword:00000001
"OSUpgradeStateTimeStamp"="2015-09-10 05:15:58"

12. Reboot

13. Set automatic updates to: Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them: cut & paste into the open cmd window:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 00000002 /f

14. Re-enable and start the Windows Update service (wuauserv): cut & paste into the open cmd window:

sc config wuauserv start= auto

(note that the space after "=" is critical)

When that's done, cut and paste into the open cmd window:

net start wuauserv

15. Now check for updates via Windows Update in Control Panel, and you should no longer see Windows 10 try to download and install, but instead normal W7/W8 updates should be working again. Be sure to uncheck KB3035583 (and any of the others you remove in Step 5), and then right click on them and select Hide, so they will never come back.

However, for me, the REAL nightmare began!

As it turns out, when you roll back from W10, the old W7/W8 registry is restored but NOT any modified and/or deleted Program files. Thus, there's a complete mismatch between the restored W7/W8 registry and any programs altered or deleted when in W10.

In my case, after the rollback to W7, icloud, Norton 360, Quicktime, iturns, Citrix and others had registry entries as if installed, but all of the installation files were missing.

Naturally, none of these would reinstall because of the (corrupted) apparent pre-existing installation, and of course they couldn't be uninstalled since the uninstaller files were missing.

So I used several tools such as zuninstaller and Windows Cleanup Utility to remove the Add/Remove objects, and manually removed other entries from HKLM/SOFTWARE. ccleaner might have been very helpful here, but I don't really trust it.

But worse, thousands of the "restored" registry entries had been corrupted in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components by having no ownership! Thus they could not be overwritten when reinstalling the programs.

I spent hours using powerful features in Registrar Registry Manager (RRM) Home Edition to find these keys and remove them in bulk. RRM was particularly vital because it could remove the no-owner keys, whereas regedit could not. Basically, once I found a bad key in Components, I did a search for all instances of that key in Components and then did a bulk delete with RRM.

Eventually, I was able to reinstall the programs I had uninstalled in W10.

Bottom line, Windows 10 itself is an absolute and total travesty, and rolling it back is likely to be a complete nightmare. Windows 10 is BY FAR the worst OS ever made by Microsoft, much worse than even W8.x, because W8.x can be made to behave pretty decently with Classic Shell and a few other tweaks, and does not have half the programs moved into the dumbed-down app mode and half the controls split beteen Control Panel and half in the dumbed-down app mode All Settings.

another reason why the only way I would ever install Windows 10 is with an OEM or full retail version...this free upgrade BS is shady

I have zero issues rolling it back. Also, you cannot inadvertently install Windows 10 at all, it must be intentional.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

You forgot, we are the Borg! However, some would suggest that assimilating Windows would bring the Borg down since they consider Microsoft a virus. :D Me, I am totally enjoying Windows 10.

How does one "enjoy" an OS? The OS runs games that I enjoy but the OS itself has no joy in it.

Back