The "Died in The Line of Duty" thread

racercarl

Limp Gawd
left for christmas and some drunk took out a power pole, five days lateri finally got the box to work good enough to some what work. the mouse doesn't work and can't get one to. it will not read from the drives. ordered a new mobo. was one hell of a spike through the nuetral circuts, it took out part of my mobo, my printer, my UPS, two fused power strips, the one on my TV and the coffe pot:mad:

and the total to replace it all is about $50.00 below my deductible:(

life is a bitch, and then they tax you:D

Originally posted by racercarl
left for christmas and some drunk took out a power pole, five days lateri finally got the box to work good enough to some what work. the mouse doesn't work and can't get one to. it will not read from the drives. ordered a new mobo. was one hell of a spike through the nuetral circuts, it took out part of my mobo, my printer, my UPS, two fused power strips, the one on my TV and the coffe pot:mad:

and the total to replace it all is about $50.00 below my deductible:(

life is a bitch, and then they tax you:D

Heh, that really sucks.

Well, it's not really in the line of duty, but I lost part of my finger as I posted in a seperate thread earlier... (Battle damage) I lost the SmartFanII, it ate pavement after a fin popped off.

Originally posted by CIWS
The good news is the CPU is fine, the board shut down the PC when it saw the CPU temp rise. I've replaced the two HSF's with ones that have the three attach points and the box is back online Folding :)

Lucky Bastard.

I have lost 5 or 6 psu's and hrm, let's see a slot 1mobo, pII 300 and a Celery 300 whilist folding.

Can you claim it against the power company when their shit power kills your gear, or is it only on the contents insurance?

I guess we are pretty lucky down here in aus, our power is pretty clean, but sometimes we do have blackout's in the summer months, we really need a new plant or two, but i think the companies don't wanna build them!

Oh well, i'm looking at building or buying a house in 12mths time or so, i shal definatly be looking at solar power and solar hot water when i do!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Had one IDE slot die a while back, and I just lost my last one.

At least this is repairable with a controller card, but for now, I am down a box.

Let me put down what I've lost folding:

2 AMD CPU's
3 HDD's
2 Power Supplies
2 Dual Motherboards
2 Single Proc Motherboards
1 Stick of ram
2 Routers (thanks blaster, it was my folding gateway)

My Epox 8K7A+ finally ate it. Almost 3 years of solid service. The 1200MHz Thunderbird I had on it is still in good working order and has clocked as high as 1500MHz. This was also my main computer so I'm SOL.

Posting from work.

Had almost the same experience as CIWS except my HSF popped off due to me not properly securing it to the mobo. I was browsing the Internet, when a somewhat loud "pop" came from inside my case, completely fell off the cpu socket and landed on the backside of my GF2 putting a hole in it where the corner of the volcano 11 landed; lost the GF2 and 2100.

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

Power supply in my parents' SS50 (1.8A GHz Pentium 4) blew this morning. Hoping to get one to replace it tomorrow ...

Killed two ECS K7VTA3's and the 1.6GHz Durons that were on them.

Actually, they died by themselves. ECS boards SUCK.

Originally posted by miazmaticdotcom
... ECS boards SUCK.

Not all of them. I'm still running one of the original K7S5A's, original version, 24/7 as a folding box and it's used by SWMBO as a surf/work box too. :) I think it's been running about 2 years now. I'm sure though now that I said something it'll crap out, but oh well.

Sorry yours didn't work out as well.

Fold On!
10000.gif
10000.gif
10000.gif

Seeing how my PSU is venting some really hot air from my CPU, I'm almost expecting it to go out any moment now. :eek: 24/7, hot air... Then again, my other case fan vents really hot air too.

AMD Athlon XP 2100+

Ran for 14 months at 2.4GHz. Folding at about 99% duty.

*salute*

AKA this chip is available to anyone who would like to give it a good home!

i lost an Athlon Tbird 1.2 when i appearently broke the ram connector off the keyboard and that althered some voltages throughout the board and INSTANTLY fried the cpu along with the mobo, ram was fine.

btw mobo was a soyokt333 ultra plat dragon. got it replaced had to buy a 2400xp which i later replaced for no reason with a 2.4CP4.

I've just recently lost an xp2400, that was folding 24/7. Cpu was fried. Took it to the local comp shop where i bought it, and they scrapped off the thermal pad, and chipped the cornor of the cpu. :mad: No warrenty claim now. :mad: The prick's won't even admit they chipped the core, so i'm outta pocket about $100aud. :( I'm not going to replace it, i put my xp2200 back into service, after long service leave. I can't afford to replace the 2400.

Things we do and put up with for folding. :rolleyes:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Hmmmm, I lost a 386 about 9 years ago, when the HD controller failed, and the HD as well.

Since then, one power supply has been defective, but I repaired it...

I was mostly unlucky for monitors... Two 17" monitors have failed on me, along with 3 14" monitors that I was using on my server (they don't like being on for too long). I got a datatrain 14" a few months ago, and this one seems to be OK. I also replaced my 17" desktop monitor for a Sony Trinitron 20" :D

Guess I'm lucky hardware wise, I know a guy who's lost a computer because of lightning and got two of his systems fried by cheesy power supplies.

Two WD sub-gig hard drives in three days.

My basement: where old hard drives gasp their last breath... :eek:

Enermax 431 power supply vs. Tyan Tiger 2460MP.

Two components enter the case, one component leaves... :rolleyes:

Autopsy scheduled this morning for the Enermax. Burnt pins in the connector, might still be salvagable, but the Tyan wins again. :eek:

Update: blown caps in the power regulation stage. It's dead, Jim...

I was considering helping with the folding, but after hearing all the bad results, forget it. I'm only 14, and can't afford to have my hard-earned money thrown away for a competition...

Matt Welke said:
I was considering helping with the folding, but after hearing all the bad results, forget it. I'm only 14, and can't afford to have my hard-earned money thrown away for a competition...

its not just a competition... its life. read up on the cause...

KIA:
1*xp 1700+
2* epox 8k7a+
1*seagate 40gig (actually its still in use but has alot of bad sectors at the end of the disk... wil be removed very shortly)
1* sparkel power supply (400w)
1* 80mm fan (killed the sparkle, and 1 of the mobos)
1* 60mm delta black lable (killed the above 80mm fan by falling on it)
3* cd roms (none where faster than 8x... they where near the end of there usable life any way)
2* dvds (^ditto 2x)
1 highpoint raid controller (the falling 60mm snapped a cap off )
1 power strip (the darn thing was 20 years old as it was... way over loaded. when the psu went it took it with it... )
1* used cheap ass case (when the psu blew the cap inside exploded and blew the plexy apart (was a custom made plexy case) :O my room smelled like magik smoke and burnning plastic for a week)
~15* ide cables... i root around in my pc alot... shit happens

(and thats just _this_ pc ;) dont get me started on the ones befor it)

thore

:eek: jesus christ!!!! is folding really that risky!? maybe I should stop..... seriously, were all of these folding accidents? Did they come from overclocking and bad heating? or what?

Munka said:
:eek: jesus christ!!!! is folding really that risky!? maybe I should stop..... seriously, were all of these folding accidents? Did they come from overclocking and bad heating? or what?

even if they were, it's not really as bad as it sounds...many of them seem to have been chain reactions, plus he said he was using some really old hardware that had almost no right being used anymore

fold on...

Munka said:

No. Folding is not that risky.

I currently have five boxes running(at one point up to eight). Of those five, two have been running 24/7 almost since I started this bit of fun which was around the middle of 2001 I think. I did take a break from FAH, GAH actually, for about a year, but both of these systems remained on during that time doing other things. Neither of these are highend stuff. One of them is even one of the original ECS K7S5A boards with an 1800+ in it. The key is cooling. You don't have to have a lot of it, but what you do have should be kept clean. That's it. Keep the HSFs free of dust. Make sure the input and output ports to the box are clear. BTW, I don't have AC.

Thore, by his own admission, can't keep from poking around inside the box. (hehe, I said poking the box :D ) The more you mess around in there the more likely you are to have some type of problem. My rule is if I'm not cleaning the sucker then I keep the fingers out. His list of KIA seems to mostly consist of items from one catastrophic failure. One small fan took out a whole box. Something not likely to happen on a regular basis for sure. As for the other stuff, when you use something it eventually wears out, especially if it has moving parts. Did all of the stuff he listed die at the same time? With the exception of the noted situation above probably not. If it did Thore, my condolences, really. :)

Are you putting your system under more stress by running FAH than if you weren't? Yes you are, but unless you started with a really weak system to begin with you should never really have to worry about having any major issues. Cooling is key. I can't stand noisy fans so I don't have any of the systems supercooled, but they all have decent cooling that doesn't force me to wear earplugs. I know they're quiet since SWMBO doesn't even bring them up at all.

So don't fret. Carry on with the project. All will be well.

Fold On!
10000.gif
10000.gif
10000.gif
10000.gif
10000.gif
10000.gif
10000.gif

Folding really isn't dangerous at all. I've run folding (and RC5 before that) on probably close to 150 systems over the last 5 or 6 years and haven't had one problem that I could tell was directly related to folding. Many of these were business systems that were run 10-12 hours a day during the week and 24 hrs a day over weekends - and they ran this way for 5 years! Most of those old timers have been retired to employees cheap enough to think that a PII300 or a Celeron 300A(@450, hehe) are useful machines, but they still run just like they always did. My own systems have been run 24/7, but those only stick around for maybe 3 years before they're too obsolete to be worth running. My PPro200 has been running some sort of DC project nearly 24/7 ever since I bought the thing - and it's still running. One of these days the nostalgia will wear off and I'll retire that sucker, but I'm not quite ready yet.

If you can't afford to replace some part of your PC that may wear out in 3 or 4 years, then you probably can't afford the electricity that it requires to run a PC 24/7 while folding. Since there are no guarantees that things will wear out (and I haven't seen anything that indicates that they will, any more that usual), I'll take that risk and keep folding!

Munka said:

If distributed computing projects were that risky, then I would have killed a lot of hardware over the years from it. I've done RC5, SETI, G@H and F@H. I have never had a piece of hardware die on me because of folding. I've had hardware die while the system was running one or other of the projects, but it was an outside influence that caused the failures. Let's just say, sex near computer systems is not safe for the computers. :D

SmokeRngs said:
Let's just say, sex near computer systems is not safe for the computers. :D
Oh great, now I've got to find some way to get that nightmare out of my head. :D

Mattman said:
Oh great, now I've got to find some way to get that nightmare out of my head. :D

That's right. :p Now my therapist is going to have his last two daughters free rides through college. ;)

Munka said:
Relax, it ain't THAT bad.

Aside from the heat, noise and occasional fits from SWMBO (might be redundant :p ), it's no riskier than 23 hours of UT2K4 a day would put on a system, and you don't get carpal tunnel from Folding. :)

I have 12 systems running full time for the [H]orde, and most of my "accidents" have been PSU failures. You get what you pay for, and $12 PSUs are not meant to run 8 hours a day for long, let alone 24/7 under load. The last death in the family was the Enermax 431 PSU, blew 2 capacitors and there were burn marks in the 20-pin connector. That it was hooked up to the most power-hungry dual Athlon MP motherboard known to man might have been a factor in it's demise. :eek:

Mattman said:

Hey hey, the computer is right next to the bed and has been for years. Must keep it close where I can hear all the fans to make sure it's still running. Besides, it's great to have it close when you need to have certain tunes on.

But as I said, there are downfalls. Like the bed hitting the wall a bit too much causing the not very sturdy desk to move a bit too much causing the heatsink on the CPU to break a clip and fall off. At least all it did was take out the mobo and CPU. At least I had something to do while waiting on the new parts.

btw, the new desk is much sturdier and I shouldn't have to worry about any more heatsink mishaps.

I have an Xbox (a v1.0 unit) folding. The early ones are notorious for PSU faliures. As if Microsoft's software weren't bad enough, now we have to try folding on m$ hardware, as well.

Best use for those shit-boxes I can think of. Congrats to you for figuring it out!

’m‚³‚ñ said:
That's right. :p Now my therapist is going to have his last two daughters free rides through college. ;)

Unless she's horridly ugly (and sometimes even then), a girl won't have any trouble getting all the free rides she wants at college. ;)

Time of death, 0200:

GeForce2 GTS. Been in a folder since I bought it three years ago. *Salute*

EDIT: Noticed this is the replacement for the old thread!

KIA:

1 lightning strike, three separate machines:
Epox 8KHA+
256MB Micron DDR266
Enermax 350

Others:
IBM 14GXP (Not a real deathstar death)
AMD Athlon 1000
AMD Athlon 1333
Another Epox 8KHA+
2 Lite-on CDRW's
2 Lite-on DVD-ROMs
(after 2+ years for all lite-on drives, may be a new company, but the stuff IS good quality)

The power supply (an elderly Enlight 320) on my main rig failed with a flash, bang, and puff of foul smelling blue smoke last night. Here's hoping I don't have to add my Athlon 64 FX51 or any other components to this list after I install the new PSU.

Edit: Update, the Enlight failed with grace leaving the rest of the hardware in tact.

Back