Warez to Freeware Conversion...

faster7

[H]ard|Gawd
Originally posted by Acceptable_Risk
I don't know what most people use for basic image viewing/editing (ACDSee?) and stuff but I really dig IrfanView.

Also a great utility for batch converting and batch resizing. Will also batch rename any kind of file.

:)

I use Serif Page Plus desktop publishing, and drawplus vector graphics programs. Serif puts out older versions of almost all their software for free.

Serif site: www.serif.com
Free software: www.freeserifsoftware.com

DTP = MS FrontPage => Serif PagePlus 5
Photo editing = photoshop lite => Photoplus 5.5
Basic Web design = pick your editor => WebPlus 6
BASIC 3D modeling = ? => 3dPlus 2
Vector Drawing = Coreldraw => Drawplus 4

I have upgraded my software to the latest versions for drawplus (7.0) and pageplus (8.0) I've been a user of Pageplus since version 3 about 5 years ago, but these earlier versions work great - I used them for a long time. VERY useful, and have more features than most people ever need.

Getting the software only requires an email address, which they only spam about once a month.

BB

I'm a hardcore windows XP Pro addict. I used a slightly less than legal copy to install XP on my main machine, which of course how now expired and needs the activation code. No fun. I DO own a legal copy of XP, which is on the parental computer. My brother got it at a hefty student discount at his college for $12, but they won't let you get more than one. I don't think I could ever make the all-out conversion to Linux, but I don't want to stay with the illegal copy of Windows for moral reasons as well as wanting to get my files back. Does anybody know the best place to get a copy of XP for teh ultra-low dollarage? I would reeealllly not like to go with linux.

How ultra low dollarage do you want?

Your best bet is to probably buy an OEM copy. XP PRo Full OEM costs $137 at newegg, less than half of retail full.

If not, then I dunno. Go to college or something. Or get an academic discount if you're a student somewhere.

The $12 deal my brother got was pretty sweet. I definately do not have $137 to throw at it, that's for sure. I am a high school student, maybe that will get me somewhere? I have Photoshop 3.0 on floppies, academic version. I don't know why I mentioned that.

Yep, the OEM version is your best bet, but remember that you have to buy a HDD or mobo at the same time. I did this recently, so I also bought a new HDD for my laptop so I could try out Linux on it.

I have to say I was very impressed. I d/l'ed Mandrake v9.2, and even as an XP Pro junkie myself it didn't take too long to get to grips with it, despite my being a complete Linux n00b. Setup was straightforward (apart from my weird net routing at the office), and everything you need (apps included) is right there on first boot. It doesn't look visually quite as polished as XP (most noticeably on-screen fonts) but apart from that it's not bad at all. I think you would be pleasantly surprised - I was!

[k]

Heh, at Newegg XP Home costs $92 right now for the OEm version. You could buy a $0.25 pack of screws with it.

Well, being a high school student gets you near nothing, unless your high school has a campus licensing agreement (like mine and your brother's schools). $5 for XP pro can't be beat.

So you're looking at $100 for legit windows. Or go linux.

Great forum, thanks guys.

To the last guy, i know you can get academic win xp PRO (upgrade) for about 84$.... but you must have a version of 98, ME, or 2000 on cd.
Note: this is academic, not OEM... so you don't have to buy anything else.... you just have to be "defined" as "academic" according to microsoft.

www.cdwg.com

Lets keep on track please this thread is not for anything other then listing alternative free software...thanks

Don't think this was listed already...

Any backup software (Handy Backup, ect) = SyncBack

SyncBack is great because it allows synchronization between external drives, CD-RW's, ect... A lot of customization in this program. Beta 3 should be even better, but i'd wait till it's out of beta and a final version, cause the author said not to use important files with the beta.

Also, CDex was already mentioned, but worth mentioning again... a very good program I highly recommend... and also, FreshDevice's FreshDownload works beautifully for me... I use it all the time, and have downloaded huge files with it... Don't know why someone else had so many problems with it :confused:

I've got a couple free burning apps for you guys ....

DeepBurner
Updated quite often with new features. Works pretty good.

EasyBurning
On this fellas main site you'll find a bunch of other useful apps.
Updated often. Both of these are light weight, no nonsense burner apps.

Paid for software alarm clock (I think they exist) -> http://www.ornj.net/ Citrus Alarm Clock. Programable alarm clock to play media. Calendar type scheduling on a weekly basis

Originally posted by LlamasOnIce
Camtasia = CamStudio

Record AVIs of what you do on your computer. Good for tutorials and other such things.
:confused: Which one is the free one?

I know some German, and camtasia = 30 day trial
and CamStudio is now macromedia, so I'm guessing It's no longer free.

Originally posted by Kolya
Does anyone have an alternative to norton ghost?

g4u (Ghost 4 Unix)
both network casting and local disks
there is a learning curve involved
whereas Ghost employed DOS, g4u employs BSD
but it will run on your PC and clone any filesystem
dont let the Unix part fool you ;)

happens to be included on the Ultimate Boot CD
(freeware CD ISO)

Originally posted by Ice Czar
g4u (Ghost 4 Unix)
both network casting and local disks
there is a learning curve involved
whereas Ghost employed DOS, g4u employs BSD
but it will run on your PC and clone any filesystem
dont let the Unix part fool you ;)

happens to be included on the Ultimate Boot CD
(freeware CD ISO)
Thanks I'll be sure to check it out.

however the latest version of Symantec (not Norton) Ghost (v2003) is hard to beat for flexibility, the switches allow almost any concievable control, it also has support for USB, Firewire, burning images to spanned CD, DVD or Tape, and saving images to NTFS partitons
and a Win32 GUI

and now that Symantec has aquired PowerQuest......

there is no single freeware ap that will do it all
but some of the more powerful network options are available with g4u and there are basic freeware clone utilities available
(the freeware version of HDClone is included on the Ultimate Boot CD as well)
both Maxtor and Western Digital offer rudimentary clone utilities
which will work if they detect one of their HDDs

but if you need more advanced features, especially in one package, you still need to shell out the $$$$

If you happen to be running Linux on your system
you can use Mondo Rescue for imaging, including any Windows Partitions
a great reason to adopt a Linux Distro and a Dual boot Strategy
and there are more Linux Rescue resources available that work on Windows ;)

freebsd :D

Code:
cd /usr/ports && make search key="<what you are looking for here>"

works well for me!

got rid of that whole pirated windows thing....and all that pirated windoze software too

but if you need more advanced features, especially in one package, you still need to shell out the $$$$

I agree. I am currently using Symantec Ghost 7.5 in the enterprise, and will be switching to Ghost 8 once get approval to upgrade our licenses in the new budget year (starting in July).

You just cannot beat Symantec powerful imaging system. It is completely flexible, and I have not seen any other package, commercial or freeware/open-source, that can even come close to matching Symantec's capabilities.

The licensing is cheap, however. Currently, Symantec Ghost v8 costs only $32 CD per node.

Anyone know of a ACROBAT PDF viewer other than ADOBE's wich i still am unable to installed after i tried to upgrade from 5.0

anybody know if there is an open source version of the Macromedia's Dreamweaver? a wysiwyg program? thx.

Visual Studio .NET ==> SharpDevelop

Develop for the .NET framework in C++, C#, or VB. Every bit as powerfull as Micrsoft's Visual Studio, at none of the price.

JediFonger said:
anybody know if there is an open source version of the Macromedia's Dreamweaver? a wysiwyg program? thx.

dunnno if its quite what you are looking for, as i looked for the same thing, but have found nothing like dreamweaver, but if you are on linux/bsd, you can checkout bluefish, or if on windows, i guess you could try out homesite or something

i suppose if you're on win you're just gonna have to spend $ on some software like dreamweaver. ah well, i gues the thinking amongst *nix l337 is that html dev should be hardcore coding only. even the bluefish looks to be another glorified txt editor. oh well. @least they still make gimp2, as long as that's around i'm a happer camper.

http://www.dirms.com looks interesting, but I'm without NT/2K/XP at the moment and it only runs there. One command-line app to defrag extremely well, albeit slowly, and an interesting idle-priority GUI app to maintain defragmentation long-term.

JediFonger said:

Mozilla has a WYSIWYG web design tool.

Velox said:
Develop for the .NET framework in C++, C#, or VB. Every bit as powerfull as Micrsoft's Visual Studio, at none of the price.
Then this might be interesting.

Back