RE-Building The House of RagE - AGAIN

PS-RagE

Supreme [H]ardness
Finally, I'm getting a little time to get some work done on my projects (there are three of them).

While this will be far from a full blown custom mod job, there will be some simple techniques that should be helpful to new modders.

Anyhow, what we are building today is the server for my house (thus the "House of" part)

So, the start to any good server is of course 1.2T of WD goodness :D

1twd.jpg

Each of these will be housed in a Vantec EZ Swap enclosure

ezswap.jpg

Driving the array is the big Promise Supertrac:

strac.jpg

and it is all going in an Aopen HX800 server enclosure:

hxleft.jpg

hxright.jpg

hxguts.jpg

This is a hell of a nice enclosure. Solid steel and weighs a ton. Unlike my other server-sized cases, this one is long instead of tall. I had originally bought it to put my workstation in but that project never came to pass and until now I'd been using it as a temporary enclosure for test builds (very roomy - easy to work on).

Updates soon. I'm hoping to have this finished tomorrow night at the latest. This will almost be a live worklog.

W0W thats a lot of hard drive space... What are you going to use it for? :D ;) :p

1.2 Terabytes of space?!?! Do you frequent any particular DC hubs? ;) ;) What you got so far is great.

All the drives are in the enclosures and the enclosures installed in the case:

drivesin.jpg

The mobo is an Intel D850EMD2. The CPU is a 2.53GHz P4 and there is 512M of Kingston PC1066 RDRAM installed:

mobo.jpg

To give you an idea of the large size of this case, here is the mobo and the drive bays installed. Plenty of room.

mobocase.jpg

Originally posted by eL c0L0mb1aNo
1.2 Terabytes of space?!?! Do you frequent any particular DC hubs? ;) ;) What you got so far is great.

In the end there will be 1 Terabyte (RAID 5). This machine is going to complement the HTPC (another project that I will be showing shortly) acting as the Media Server for my house storing all the CDs and all the DVDs (plus photo albums, etc).

You know you got a good Controller Card when it uses its own stick of ram *Drools* :eek:

I love that case! Very roomy. I need something like that. What is the thing above the hdd enclosures? A place for fans or wires or something?

very sweet, i chose also to use the vantec racks for my file server, thou i went with the black ones..

how much did u get them for a peice?

Time to start putting parts in.

Here is a "blast-from-the-past" - a PCI VooDoo3

voodoo.jpg

Oops - looks like I underestimated the huge size of that RAID card - wouldn't fit (doh). Had to re-arrange the drive bays to this:

drvsin2.jpg

And here it is in the case:

gutsin.jpg

Big friggin' card!

Originally posted by Veeb0rg
very sweet, i chose also to use the vantec racks for my file server, thou i went with the black ones..

how much did u get them for a peice?

This case is staying (gasp) beige. I got the bays for $50CDN/ea.

what, no paint job rage? :(
i'm interested in what kind of mods this will have, besides the tasty hardware hehe
looking good so far :cool:

EDIT
a little late on the paint job comment, haha, oh well

Originally posted by PS-RagE
Bingo!

Yay, I win. I should be receiving mine in the mail in a day or two. Really nice looking setup PS-RagE. Get on a DC hub and let me ehm...borrow some of those DVDs. ;)

woah an mATX mobo? hope your not planning on upgrading it too much...

especially since your wasting a PCI slot for a video card :p

your HD's make me jealous tho :cool:

Originally posted by FLECOM
woah an mATX mobo? hope your not planning on upgrading it too much...

especially since your wasting a PCI slot for a video card :p

your HD's make me jealous tho :cool:

Once its done - its done. Should I need the last PCI slot, I could put in a POS vid card, I guess. The RAID card doesn't play well with AGP cards though (ATI's in particular).

Ya know though, sitting here looking at it I'm almost tempted to paint the chassis beige :cool:

Bah - wife has an exercise class tonight and I gotta boogie home. Work begins again tomorrow - 8am

is this why you've been missing for so long?

did you test it out by downloading your genetic data into the hard drives and seeing if you aged any?

Originally posted by Niku
is this why you've been missing for so long?

did you test it out by downloading your genetic data into the hard drives and seeing if you aged any?

Nah, I'm always here (watching you), just don't have a whole lot of time for my projects or posting comments (its a big forum)

if... you... don't... at least... PAINT IT... I... WILL... DISOWN YOU! and take away your hard drives!

what are you THINKING?! you will be clubbed in the face by the mob of crazed modders! for real, dude! you call this... a mod?! why i ought'a... !!!

:) nice work.

Originally posted by codeflux
if... you... don't... at least... PAINT IT... I... WILL... DISOWN YOU! and take away your hard drives!

what are you THINKING?! you will be clubbed in the face by the mob of crazed modders! for real, dude! you call this... a mod?! why i ought'a... !!!

:) nice work.

LOL! The guys at Pheaton were saying the same thing. But as I said there I had considered doing "something" with this machine but decided in the end it is a server and not a showpiece. No window, no lights, no paint required.

Stay tuned though, mods coming tomorrow. This is gonna be a hell of a nice machine

LOL! The guys at Pheaton were saying the same thing. But as I said there I had considered doing "something" with this machine but decided in the end it is a server and not a showpiece. No window, no lights, no paint required.

Stay tuned though, mods coming tomorrow. This is gonna be a hell of a nice machine
you make my new media server look so sad :(

LOL - I was just rereading my own thread and thinking isn't that the coolest thing to say - 1.2T? Damn, I remember having drives that were M

:eek:

My dad still remembers how him and his friends got all giddy back when they upgraded the computers from 2K to 4K memory.

I wouldn't worry. We all know you'll cave in when you get bored sooner or later. hahah.

Hmmm, well no. Should I?

i dont know...you might to get to see my sexy ass

but probally not and if you did you'd be a pervert...any one who looks at my ass is a pervert

any way whered you get the case?

My dad still remembers how him and his friends got all giddy back when they upgraded the computers from 2K to 4K memory.
I've never had the chance to do a 2k to 4k memory change.. But I do remember being happy as hell when I went from 2mb ram to 8mb.. I think it was roughly $500.. Unless it was $400.. I cant remember.. But it was costly, and fun.

when i was 3 i upgraded my apple IIe from 1Kb to 2Kb of ram does that count :p

anyway to get back on topic and make this a triple post

i dont think you should do too much to it as far as "modding"... its a server... servers arnt suppost to be pretty... they are to be scary... big, loug.. black/beige... like the old proliants, mmm... scary++ <3

Originally posted by FLECOM
actually im watching you :p

have you seen my ass?

i broke you posting streak so you wouldnt look it wouldnt look so bad

Originally posted by Niku
have you seen my ass?

i broke you posting streak so you wouldnt look it wouldnt look so bad

no, but you were an ass in a thread i had to move out of here so :p

posting streak? what is this posting streak you speak of? :D

Back