Meet "Finger Cutter"

m2h

Limp Gawd
I found an old 486 server on the street with the most enourmous PSU fans ever. So I decided to cool my computer with one of them. Well I didn't have a dremel, or a single peice of hardware to mod the case bevel. So I spent a morning with my lighter and knife and melted a gapping hole in the case. And mounted this mofo of fan on it. I went from a warm 60c CPU to a cool 30c with just that one fan. Sadly though I was trying to attatch a ghetto grill and it got hooked in the fan that was revolving at a deadly speed. The fan ripped straight up to may face and just scathed my eyes. Heh.

I call it the "Finger Cutter."

Image link removed.
No more 404's for me. :)

Originally posted by m2h
[...] So I spent a morning with my lighter and knife and melted a gapping hole in the case. [...]

fingercutter.jpg

Should have tried with a stove element instead of a lighter. ;)

Ghetto, but efficient setup you have here... Must be noisy as hell though, isn't it?

you may think not having grills is "funny" or "not a problem," but get your finger in it once and youll throw a fan grill on even the tamest fans after that

damn you panaflo, for trying to break my finger

Originally posted by kronchev
you may think not having grills is "funny" or "not a problem," but get your finger in it once and youll throw a fan grill on even the tamest fans after that

Heh, I had to have stitches after a run-in with a Delta black label. :p

I don't have fan grills in the back of my case on the outside...i dunno, one day i was in a cutting moodand went to work and took out the honeycomb.

yeah i have some high rpm 92's that caused severe bleeding of the finger once...they got grilles now:p

i had a rack of 6 muffin fans with metal blades from some sort of analytical equipment that i was using to cool off my room for a while....my friend accidentally stuck his finger in there. nearly took his finger off....broke it in 2 places and got halfway through his finger. :eek:

Originally posted by kronchev

i hit my finger on my cpu fan before, it hurt for a few seconds, then i laughed and pointed my hurt finger at the weak pitiful fan and said... you just hit me again damnit.

Originally posted by Punchbugy
http://lanparty.gotdns.com/~matt/link/fanofdoom.jpg[/IMG

Took this thing out of an old P3 heatsink. It's deadly. [/B][/QUOTE]

Try putting 96vcd through one of those things! (they can take about 45v before smoke)

^we were behind a glass shield when we did :D

Heh, I still remember my first Tt DragonOrb. A friend of mine thought he could stop the fan with his finger. Took me forever to get the bloodstains off the PCB.

Oh yea got the love the old thermaltake orb. Mine exploded and took out a cap on my motherboard. Sadly this was way back in the days of my Athlon 1.4. But Dangures.

Dude you need to get a monster delta fan on that case. NOW THAT"S A FINGER KILLER!

Blades spin at 6000rpm!

Here's one of my projects. The two AC blowers will do more than damage your fingers. It should work as a blender for anything up to small farm animals!

icejet01.jpg

:eek:I especially like the serrated trailing edge of the blades... You aren't planning on putting grilles on them are you? ;)

Originally posted by ex247
can u say.......... OMFG LOUD

Actually they're not too loud. But all the same, I don't plan on running this beast next to me on the desk. This is going to be a rendering box and high-speed processing machine that will sit behind closed doors in my shop for animation and encoding duties. Peltier and water cooling will be the order of business. The nice thing is that the fans won't tax the power supply (another pretty big beast).

Originally posted by Punchbugy
fanofdoom.jpg

Took this thing out of an old P3 heatsink. It's deadly.
rice shredder:cool:

i got my finger in my 5600 rpm tmd fan, blood everywhere, no damage to the fan:D

tekieb

that was really funny wasn't it and just to think we did it on school property when there were all those people looking and staring and laughing when it finally blew up...haha

that was really funny wasn't it and just to think we did it on school property when there were all those people looking and staring and laughing when it finally blew up...haha

Reminds me of something I did at my grade school. I took a motor from my erector set and stuck the exposed ends of the power wires straight into a wall socket. It didn't so much burn out, as the motor was all of a sudden spinning really fast, and smoking, and hot enough that I mildly burned myself.

This thread is worth ressurecting...

My finger once had a run-in with a Dell when I worked as a tech at a Best Buy:
Finger 1
Fan 0
Broke 2 blades off the fan.

At another point, I was installing/testing a YS tech with an Alpha Pal. Knuckle got too close:
YS Tech: 1
Knuckle: 0
Still have the scar.

And finally, I brought a 92mm Tornado fan to work (BB again) to show another tech who was intrested in getting one. We walked away for a couple min and heard a loud yelp:
Stupid customer service chick: 0
92mm Vantec Tornado: 2.5
Her story: The sound was annoying her and she was going to stop it with her finger and put a pen in it to keep it from running. Well, the Vantec got 2 fingers nice and bloody and busted the acrylic nail off of a 3rd. It was so hard not to laugh, I almost felt bad.

wow i thought i could get away with keeping my two 120mm i'm about to install grilless. but after reading al of your fabulous stories I think i'll go out and buy some grilss :D

i knocked my panaflo before... stung a bit was all. was surpirsed

EDIT: wait.. wtf... i remember this thread from ALONG time ago...

cgrant26 said:
And finally, I brought a 92mm Tornado fan to work (BB again) to show another tech who was intrested in getting one. We walked away for a couple min and heard a loud yelp:
Stupid customer service chick: 0
92mm Vantec Tornado: 2.5
Her story: The sound was annoying her and she was going to stop it with her finger and put a pen in it to keep it from running. Well, the Vantec got 2 fingers nice and bloody and busted the acrylic nail off of a 3rd. It was so hard not to laugh, I almost felt bad.

so youre saying we can finally kick start evolution again by leaving tornado's lying around? hmmm

i dunno what the brand of fan was but in my old gigdot/diamond case i had two 60mm fans in the back that each pushed 67 cfm's dman those things were loud. well one day my cat decides to walk behond the pc. and shes one of those long haired cats so of course the fan sucks in the hair on her tail and i hear this loud yeeeeelllp while im playin UT2k3. after the game of course i look to find one of the fans stalled in its place with bits of tail and hair stuck in it. we just duck taped up her tail and its been fine ever since. :p

:eek: You wouldnt loose an finger you would loose an arm in that thing :D

be careful with that though, you could do a lot of damage :eek:

IMHO heap INWIN cases are finger cutters. I don't know how many finger's ive sliced on those damn edges. I had the pleasure of being the first workers comp claim at my company and earned 3 stitches and a candy bar the last time it happened.
tip: if a case is sliding off a desk, dont try to grab it.

Back