Anyone tried the x800pro -> xt mod?

i tried it many times with my BBA x800 and its a no go for me, tried with pencil, AS5 :eek: , and even some silver conductive epoxy

bobmanfoo said:
i tried it many times with my BBA x800 and its a no go for me, tried with pencil, AS5 :eek: , and even some silver conductive epoxy

I guess that means you can kiss the 100% result theory completely away. Did you damage the card at all, or give up with it still working fine?

it is definetly not a 100% result, there has only been a few successful mods, and all with the Sapphire x800. my card is working fine, no damage what so ever

man, I'll say this:

as much as I enjoy my "cant leave well enough alone" ways of thinking, I dont think I'm willing to take an exact knife to my $400+ video card just to gain a few more pipelines and risk making a MAJOR mistake.

I think I'll sit on the sidelines on this one and watch other peeps destroy their $400 cards and not me. :D

Waiting for the forums to come back up was like willfully signing away 10 years of my life.

OMFG, it's a white hair!...on my arm.

*pulls an Infinuim and sues Kyle*

First question - I hear it's unecessary to even flash the bios to an XT. Is this true?

Another question - What can I use to connect the two points?

Last question - What and where can I find conducive paint?

BuddhaRage said:
First question - I hear it's unecessary to even flash the bios to an XT. Is this true?

Another question - What can I use to connect the two points?

Last question - What and where can I find conducive paint?

1: Yes, true from what I've heard the XT flash just sets it to XT speeds and makes computer recognize as such, otherwise it still appears as a pro, just one with 16 pipes (mind you I am no expert, just what I read elsewhere)

2: Conductive paint :p

3: Not sure...I may have read a suggestion to go to auto store?

well for those have been out of the loop, my x800pro gets ~21,700+ in 3dmark01, ~10,500+ in 3dmark03. far cry at 1600x1200 Highest settings with AAx4 AFx16 gets fps ranges between 30-70, about 35 most of the time, 1280x960 around 40 most of the time

Thanks for the quick reply. Now for another question :p :

How d'you flash your GPU bios to the XT version?

Thorough explanation would be greatly appreciated!

I defintely would not do this until your card is not capable of running games with everything maxed out.

Nice linkage on MSI. That is a ton of stuff in the bundle but I wonder if it will be more money?

And when are we gonna get some cards that arn't reference design?

**I need to edit my sig...

#1 You have to make sure there is copper showing on the contacts before you join them. Rub them down a little till you see the copper.

#2 Did you fill the gap with something like super glue? Some ppl have been trying to just bridge it with conductive ink or what not without filling the gap first.

#3 Do not flash the Bios. You may permantly screw your card. Let it think its a Pro with 16 pipes. You can try an OC it to XT speeds without taking that chance.

#4 The whole possibility of 4 Bad pipes and thats why its a pro is a farce. Whats to say that 5 pipes weren't damaged? Come on. They are all 16s. They just used these interconnects to decide which will be which once they got the memory chips they needed for the XT:pE.

Once someone gets this perfected, writes a new Bios, these will be the perfect card. ;)

Yes. I am going to perform this operation later this week. Should be fine. Just everyone take your time and have a steady hand.

Also if you don't flash the card you won't get driver errors for the XT drivers when it starts looking for the Rage Theatre chip that the X800Pro does NOT have.

you fellas ever thought to SOlder!? thats the only best 100% way to connect the points.

SparkedFire said:
Nice linkage on MSI. That is a ton of stuff in the bundle but I wonder if it will be more money?

And when are we gonna get some cards that arn't reference design?

**I need to edit my sig...

More than likely. Chances are when it first appears it'll be around $500. That being said, depending on how much the XT's are when they debut ($500+)..you may just want to get one of those.

speeduk said:
guys this mod only seems to work on sapphire cards.

I wonder what's different about the Saphire cards vs. the Built by ATi cards that makes them not mod?

Sir-Fragalot said:
I wonder what's different about the Saphire cards vs. the Built by ATi cards that makes them not mod?

This isn't an uncommon thing with Sapphire brand cards. Think about the 9800pro->9800xt mod... had a r360 core on it.

Keep in mind, that I have not read one report of a successful BBA X800 Pro mod to X800 XT - not one !!

sapphire builds all bba cards .. so no diff between sapphire and bba cards

That's not necessarily true.

You have made an uninformed assumption.
There is a possibility that they are different.

The evidence is growing that BBA X800 Pro can not be modded to X800 XT in the same way that some Sapphire X800 Pros have been modded.

LordBritish said:
That's not necessarily true.

You have made an uninformed assumption.
There is a possibility that they are different.

The evidence is growing that BBA X800 Pro can not be modded to X800 XT in the same way that some Sapphire X800 Pros have been modded.

i dont know whats going wrong with the boards but i know for a fact that sapphire is building all bba x800's and those boards are identical to sapphire x800s

W1zzard said:
i dont know whats going wrong with the boards but i know for a fact that sapphire is building all bba x800's and those boards are identical to sapphire x800s

I wouldn't doubt it, there has only been 3 reported cases of the mods being done, the first 3 people.

BuddhaRage said:
Has anyone messed up their card that you know of?

No. I have been following this closely with some of the futuremark freaks. Seems from what I have read it it is real easy to reverse if it doesn't go right. There is a huge thread over there on this on the community page if you want to check it out. The biggest concern with screwing up the card is flashing the bios to an XT which is not needed from what I have read. I will report to you guys this weekend on how mine goes. I am feeling this is going to work. :)

I don't think we cna tell the real success rate when it depends on the modder himself and his ability to make a correct contact with conductive material.

the fact that you must scrape away for better conductivity would definatly elave the possibility that the users own work and ability is at question. Not just the Physcial cards own ability to be modded.

i was introduced to some electroconductive paint today, by my one friend. they use it in a electron mircoscope for some of the specimens they test. That paint would probably work and be your best bet the only problem is, is that is cost $25 for a little itty bitty bottle. But none the less great stuff, imported from Germany.

Caliche

the reason why some cards work and some don't, is because ATI uses most of the faulty batches that have one bad quadrant for the X800's. So nothing is really locked, it just doesn't work. My *guess* why sapphire card seem to work more often is because they were probably made after the first bba cards came out, and the process was a little more perfected, so less cards with one bad quandrant.

Back