Custom firewire enclosure

widefault

Supreme [H]ardness
The Victim:
A surplus 1960's Civil Defense Radiation Meter. Shown shortly after I got it and started to disassemble it for modding.
rad1.jpg
rad2.jpg

The Result:
One kickass firewire case.
rmf.jpg

rmf1.jpg

rmf2.jpg

rmf3.jpg

rmf4.jpg

rmf5.jpg

rmf6.jpg

rmf7.jpg

rmf8.jpg

Firewire board is pulled from on old Teac firewire case. It wasn't originally able to handle hard drives, but I was able to modify the firmware and now it does. Unfortunately, the controller doesn't handle hard drives well. It's limited to 14MB/s read and write speeds while a proper firewire bridge board would allow 30MB/s or greater reads and writes. It's an issue, but not that bad considering this drive is used only for portable storage. It also currently has only a 6.4GB drive it, which pretty much maxes out at 15MB/s anyway.
As you can see in the last pic, a blue LED was added to the meter. It's being used as a power LED. Works quite well, a nice blue glow that's hard to miss.

Now we get to the part I like most, the hard drive activity indicator. I rigged the needle of the meter. When it's powered on, the needle rises to the "1" area. When there's activity, it goes all the way to the right. Depending on the type of files, the needle will twitch a bit.

I'm sure people are wondering how I made it work. Well, it wasn't that easy at first. The bridge board I used had no LED header for HD activity. Since the board was made for a CD-RW, there was no need. The CD-RW's LED would show activity. So I had to rig my own.

Normally, that's easy. Power to the LED with appropriate resistor with the ground line being pin 39 on an IDE cable. With a single drive this is easy, just plug it into the spare header on the cable. This is what I did initially to run a green LED until I figured out the meter.

While the above is easy for an LED, I had no spec sheet to use on the meter. Who knew what size resistor? Who knew what voltage to use? So I did some experimenting and found out that anything over ~1volt caused the needle to move all the way to the right. Okay, so I had to keep the activity voltage at or below 1 volt. The problem is, the only voltages available to me were 5 and 12 volts. I could also get 3 volts if I wanted to build a circuit into the firewire board.

Before I started that, I did some more experimentation to see what I really had to deal with. Some generic info:
- At idle, pin 39 on an IDE cable is at 1.5 volts.
- During activity, that pin drops to ground.
- In a "normal" HD activity circuit, at idle the voltage is 1.5 volts and jumps to 3 volts during activity. This is why some LEDs will be dimly lit even when nothing is going on.

With that, I looked at my options. If I used the 5 volt line available, I'd have 3.5 volts when idle and 5 to show activity. Using 12 volts I'd have 10.5 and 12 volts. In either case, I'd have to "soak" a lot of voltage up to keep the needle from maxing itself even when idle. Now I could have tried with a resistor, but as I said I had no spec sheet to go from. This was where I was stumped. I tried chaining LEDs, tried a few flashlight bulbs, but the needle would still go all the way to the right at idle. At this point I put it aside.
Flash forward a week or so, and I hit the idea. Zener diodes. Look it up if you don't know what they are, but as a summary, they only flow current above their rated value. Take a 5 volt Zener, give it 6 volts, and it lets 1 volt through. Give it 10 volts and the output is 5 volts. They make it very easy to build a simple voltage regulator.

Anyway, this was the key to make the needle move how I wanted it to move. In simplest terms, I chained two 5.1 volt Zeners, fed them with 12 volts, and plugged the ground side of the meter into pin 39 of the secondary IDE cable connector. As a result, at idle I get 0.3 volts out of the Zener. That's just enough to make the needle float up to "1" on the dial. With activity there's 1.8 volts, more than enough to make the needle jump all the way to the right. I also added a resistor to the chain, just as a preventative measure. Wanted to keep the current level down, no need to fry the hard drive or controller board.
Okay, you probably want to see it, huh? Here's a few stills and a link to download a 30 second video clip. Clip is about 450KB, WindowsMedia 9.

Off:
rmo.jpg

On, idle:
rmi.jpg

On, active:
rma.jpg

Video shows power off, the power on "twitch", the "twitch" when the system recognizes it(which made me jump, visible in the clip), a short sequence of file transfer, and the needle dropping back to zero when power is removed.
Video Clip
And that's that.

drozenski said:
are u willing too make another for me :p i got money and am willing too pay!
Well, let me see if I can get parts. I've been trying to find a reliable(and cheap) source for the bridge boards for some other projects, but it's still cheaper to buy a generic drive case just for the board and power supply. Plus, there are only a few bridge boards that work. Most boards end up being too wide to fit or have components that are too high for the drive to be mounted low enough for the top to fit. In this one the back of the meter actually touches the bottom of the drive, and the drive touches the IDE header on the bridge board. No room to spare.

If I can find a reliable source, I'll be doing USB 2.0, firewire, and combo enclosures. Mostly for myself and a few friends, but I might make a couple just to sell.

VERY VERY NICE! That would look AWSOME with an atomic themed case at a lan! very convincing! great job!

widefault said:
Well, let me see if I can get parts. I've been trying to find a reliable(and cheap) source for the bridge boards for some other projects, but it's still cheaper to buy a generic drive case just for the board and power supply. Plus, there are only a few bridge boards that work. Most boards end up being too wide to fit or have components that are too high for the drive to be mounted low enough for the top to fit. In this one the back of the meter actually touches the bottom of the drive, and the drive touches the IDE header on the bridge board. No room to spare.

If I can find a reliable source, I'll be doing USB 2.0, firewire, and combo enclosures. Mostly for myself and a few friends, but I might make a couple just to sell.

very nice indeed... if you do manage to find a cheap reliable source for bridge boards, please PLEASE let me know, ive been looking for a while and have been unable to find a good souce
:(

Thanks all. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, although I wish I had played with the bridge board a bit more before cutting holes.

I've currently got two more firewire bridge boards and one USB 2.0 board, all scavenged from drive cases. One of the firewire ones is CD/DVD devices only, and the chipset manufacturer won't respond to any e-mails. I know they have a flash tool for it, but they're not coughing it up and I can't find it online, either. The other firewire board is HD only, although that's really only because the IDE header and power connector are attached to the board. If I were to make some cables I could get it to work with anything. The USB 2.0 one came from a 3.5 HD case, but should work with anything.

My next project is using the CD/DVD board. Either my 48X CD-RW or DVD burner will end up paired with that. Probably the CD-RW, since I don't know how well the bridge board would handle the DVD drive.

The remaining two will get used for hard drives, once I find something unusual again.

All I can say is WOW. Now that would be impressive to have sitting outside of your case at a lan party. Now if you could use the extra room to put in a PSU and/or Cat5/6 line tester. But still WOW. more then I have the effort to do.

Extra room? There's not much. Overall size of the case is only 3x4x7.5 inches, doesn't leave much room for anything else once the drive is in place. About all I could squeeze in right now would be a low profile fan on the very bottom, and even that would be iffy since I'd have to reroute the IDE cable. If I put in a larger hard drive I might do that, although with the case being aluminum the drives I have had in it ran cool enough for me.

Beautiful job widedefault. I have a firewire CD Rom enclosure that I wanted to do the same thing to but with a small ammo box. I may end up just buying a new portable firewire/USB2 drive case instead now seeing how the performance isn't that great.

I think I have the same exact controller though. Mine was a LaCie external CDRW but the drive is recognized as a Teac when installed internally.

The chipset on the board I used is an Oxford 900, which was supposed to support UDMA modes when released but they were found to cause data corruption so that was disabled in later firmware revisions. Now if it's an Oxford 911 chipset, it will be capable of ~30MB/s. Take a look, you might be lucky.

EXCELLENT idea.. I have a few of those sitting around the cellar here. One of them actually still works, and it's one with the probe that does beta and gamma, but I'm not going to mod that one.. Maybe one of the others :D

Edit:

A variable resistor might be helpful in not pegging the meter, maybe a cap in slowing down the response time as to not damage the meter?

If they work, put them on Ebay, don't mod them. Seriously, you'll put some cash in your pocket. Find non-working ones if you want to mod them, just as a courtesy to the collectors.

I WANT the meter to peg under activity, so there'll be no more changes in the circuit.

There's a problem with slowing down reaction times on an external and removeable drive. You don't want the drive showing no activity when there might be some. Unplug it at the wrong time and it can get corrupted and/or cause other problems with the PC itself.

I do have a resistor in the circuit to keep the current level down, although the meter can handle about ten times what I'm feeding it right now. The resistor is there more so I don't wreck the hard drive's controller or the firewire board.

i don't think the surplus shops here in ottawa have any equipment like that :(

i have an ammo box but that looks awesome!

I just check widedefault and my chip is an Initio 1410L firewire chipset.

I'm trying to find out if I can flash it to accept a hard drive. I know a hard drive wouldn't work with it the last time I tried.

Ugh, one of my extra bridge boards has that chipset. It IS flashable, but Initio doesn't offer any firmware files. I did find a flash tool that SHOULD work, but without the firmware file it's useless. The Oxford flash tools allow you to save the old firmware, modify, and reflash, but the Initio app only flashes. I've tried e-mailing Initio a few times, never got a response.

Looks good and its a pretty cool idea. Hmmm, got some ideas of my own now. Just need some power tools and money. As for that particular unit, I would have done something a little different. But thats just me. :rolleyes:

HAHA thats awsome...damn theres some pretty innovative people on this board. I would even go as far to say that you may want to think about patenting that idea before somebody else steals it. It'd be quite a few drawings and such you'd have to do (I worked at a patent drafting office for a couple years), but then you could sell the idea to god knows how many companys.

Cool idea none the less...good job

Steve_010 said:
HAHA thats awsome...damn theres some pretty innovative people on this board. I would even go as far to say that you may want to think about patenting that idea before somebody else steals it. It'd be quite a few drawings and such you'd have to do (I worked at a patent drafting office for a couple years), but then you could sell the idea to god knows how many companys.

Cool idea none the less...good job

The last thing case-modding needs is more patents. Not like that ever stops anyone from copying an idea. Maybe if I had any plans of making more to sell, but spending $80 just to get the parts for one doesn't seem worth it.

tylerhskate said:
why in firewire ports are there always two plugs, :O

Daisy chaining devices. You can chain 63 devices off of one firewire port, although that will seriously affect performance.

The gauge thing is tight! :p

No really that is THE COOLEST external hard drive, ive ever seen!

Thanks again for the nice words.

I've got two more good ideas just about ready for building, and a third that's just in my head right now. Now I need to draw some things up and find materials.

Back