New Workstation

PS-RagE

Supreme [H]ardness
So after two months of stomach-chewing stress, we have finally moved into our new building. To go with it, I bought me me a new workstation.
This is some serious drool-worthy hardware this time:

Dual Xeons at 3.02 GHz on an Intel SE7505VB2 motherboard with 2G Crucial ECC
Intel SC5250 server housing with hot-swap SATA bay
Four Western Digital 74G Raptors in RAID 10 with 3Ware Escalade 8506
Dual Viewsonic VP171s on a Matrox Parhelia 256M
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 connected via coaxial to Denon AVR-1604 with five Mirage OmniSat Micros and a Mirage LF100 sub.

work1.jpg

work2.jpg

work3.jpg

work4.jpg

work5.jpg

No real mods but a hell of a nice case!

The DVI lines were too short :rolleyes: I'm getting used to it though.

I had big plans for mods to the last workstation but they never came to pass. Too little time and too critical of a machine to take off line for any length of time

Those speakers are interesting. Do they really achieve good sound positioning while outputting in 360 degrees? How do they sound?

They are awesome sounding speakers. Kinda overkill for an office, but I didn't want computer speakers again. I use their bigger brothers for my home theater system.

Bah, the only reason I have computer speakers is so I can share funny vids with whoever else is in the room, otherwise I have my headphones on :D

Why not just extend the DVI coords? That would drive me nuts turning my head that far side to side.

Yeah, after running this rig for two weeks I have come to that decision too. Gonna look into longer DVI cables tomorrow (I hope). Also thinking to put the case under the desk. Not usually my style but it is a little loud for work. Unfortunately, I spent hours cleaning up the wiring with tie wraps so I've got a lot of snipping and re-routing to do

Pulled the side off today to have a peek at the guts (yeah, I should have done it sooner but just too busy):

work9.jpg

The wiring is a little messy, but not too bad considering it is a prebuild. I suppose I'll straighten it out one of these days.

work8.jpg

Hot swap SATA bays. Hmmm, getting dusty already :rolleyes:

Uber smoothness. But how many frames does it get in Quake3? :p

nice shit!!! now if only i can get one of those... and btw wut kinda job are u doin? video processing? cauz thats kinda overkill for any other job... lol

thats a really nice machine... but dosent this belong in gen hard ;)

:cool:

pixelbaker said:
Yet he still uses Windows and a wired keyboard/mouse... :rolleyes:

What the hell? I would prefer wired over wireless any minute of the day and Windows still runs 90% of todays necessary office apps. Why run Linux when you probably cant do your job with it.

Back