Need help pinning out small mono LCD panel

Crazy tech

Limp Gawd
HI I just got a bunch of little LCD panels out of old laser printers exp:4100 thru 4550. I have just the display part with built in blue/white back light, the numbers on the back of the panels are LCM-wm002,wm002-pcb rev1.2 ce-3894-0 dose any one know how to hook these up as to be used to display text, or should I part them for the bright leds in them?

The Hitachi HD66710 controller is a superior LCD controller to the popular HD44780 controller, but it has an identical input interface. Since you don't have the pin diagram, you should try out pin assignments used by HD44780-based LCDs. Doing a Google image search for "HD44780" yields a good selection of pin diagrams.

The crazy lcds I have have an 20 pin conector how do I find out which pins I need and which I don't?

Serial isn't going to solve any of your problems. You'd need the pin diagram to do serial anyways, plus additional circuitry to bring the signal to TTL voltage levels for the RS-232 serial protocol used by the "serial port."

I think you have a couple of options, none of them very enticing:

1. Continue searching for pin diagram. Maybe contact the manufacturer of the printers to try and acquire one? You'll have to be persistent.
2. Experiment with different pin diagrams. This is so tedious, I wouldn't recommend this.
3. Try soldering wires directly to pins on the LCD controller chip and backlight. You should check to see if any resistors or capacitors are used in between the controller chip and the connector block (see HD66710 datasheet). You need a steady hand and a good soldering iron; this is surface mount work.

hey if youre interested, I would like to get my hands on one of those and play with them, I need a project to play with, would be fun in my spare time. email me, my pm's dont work
mojojojoman at earthlink.net
-Mike

I was able to pin out my lcd but theres an chip that all the pins from the hd66710 which are needed for paralel hook up the run thought, it's an BU12445 Is there any way I can use this chip or do I just remove it?

Hello Crazy Tech
(Sorry i'm french so my english isn't perfect!)

I picked up this display too in laser jet 4000 with printed circuit
thanks to this, I can propose this pinout:

1-> to led 1
2-> to led 2
3-> to led 3
4-> ?
5-> to switch 0
6-> to switch 1
7-> to swicth 2
8-> to switch 3
9-> ? (probably switch 4)
10-> to switch 5
11-> ? (probably switch 6)
12-> to switch 7
13-> ? (probably switch 8)
14-> to another connector pin 3
15-> to another connector pin 2
16-> to another connector pin 5
17-> to another connector pin 4
18-> to another connector pin 1
19-> common for switch
20-> to another connector pin 6

I hope this pinout can help you and me consequently.

BYE

Back