should i be worried about my ram or cpu's life span?

ryuji

2[H]4U
my memory is overvolted by .3 volts to 2.80v to keep up with my cpus fsb
my cpu is overvolted to 1.80v (my dfi board required me to set it slightly higher because it seems to be unstable and it jumps to the 1.825 every once in a while) but i get a 2250 mhtz oc on my athlon xp 2800+ (12.5x180)
north bridge is probibly negligable but i overvolted that to 1.90 volts

i dont intend to replace any of these compenents for 3-4 years, is this a problem?

EDIT:
the memory is pc333 corsair valueselect and cpu temp doesnt go past 60 C much if at all gets up to 59 durring prime95 torture test tho

Get an aftermarket NB cooler, it really does help your OC.

1. http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_nb1.htm
2. http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/heatsinks/microcool/northpole/
3. http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/heatsinks/swiftech/mcx159/

Then THermalright NB-1 is pretty damn loud FYI

Use a nice heatsink for ur CPU and use AS5 also. I believe that this will keep the lifespan of ur system longer.

No the extra bump in your voltage is tiny. I had my vcore at 2v and the DIMM at 3.2 for about a week so I test my 2500-m @ 13X200 on air. Wasn't stable so its not at 12.5 X 200. vcore @ 1.9 and DIMM v is 3.0 i think.

My system is almost identical to yours also. So don't worry too much

i misread the temps i changed the cpu cooler it doesnt go past 60 much if at all and i already use as5 i use the tt silent boost got more oc preformance out of it then i expected also keep in mind 60 C is with no case cooling at all, im in the middle of making a 7/12v fanbus when i noticed a thread in amd processors section that concerned me, it had some people talking about a 1.80 overvolt making the cpu last 9 months!
when my case is in operating condition i have a blow hole two exausts side panel fan and intake in the front. there all about 40 cfm at full speed so i gotta keep small animals away from the vents :p

i think im going to have to run stock untill my case cooling is working again its quite hot in there whats the peak temp and voltage i should go for if i want it to last 3-4 years

i allways thought my north bridge cooling solution was fine. my dfi lanparty's passive solution only gets warm to the touch

Just be aware that the NB-1 and the back portion of the VGA silencer do not fit well next to each other.

You really shouldn't worry about a CPU's lifespan. From what I've heard they're 10+ years when overclocked. By then, hopefully you'll have another computer. I've personally never a CPU die from old parts...they can burn out if you do a sh!tty job overclocking, but you sound fine.

The only part I'm not sure about is memory. Unfortunetly I have little overclocking knowledge of RAM.

I'd say same goes for the both. I've never heard of ram crapping out :rolleyes: Enlighten me if I'm wrong

Chicken Penni Pasta said:
You really shouldn't worry about a CPU's lifespan. From what I've heard they're 10+ years when overclocked. By then, hopefully you'll have another computer. I've personally never a CPU die from old parts...they can burn out if you do a sh!tty job overclocking, but you sound fine.

The only part I'm not sure about is memory. Unfortunetly I have little overclocking knowledge of RAM.

thank you for the information i guess i was overreacting. my friend is also nervous about the memory but he said go for it if it is whats needed to keep it 1:1

memory doesnt get more then warm to the touch thanks to the heat spreader, probably by the time it dies i will be about ready to buy 2x 1gb modules at pc3200 since they will prob be much cheeper by then, like when i bought 256 mb of pc133 for $60 (at time it was large ammount :p )

It's not like RAM can burn out...

RAM barely generates heat worth talking about, simply because of their use. I'd imagine you can't break RAM from overclocking, just make it unstable, in which case you just reset it.

RAM barely generates heat worth talking about, simply because of their use. I'd imagine you can't break RAM from overclocking, just make it unstable, in which case you just reset it.

thanks for clearing that up, its just the too much voltage instantly kills it problem you hear about occationaly then

leading cause of RAM death after installation ESD is voltage regulation
how well the mobo and PSU accomplish this is really the issue not heat

ESD & Electromigration Rant
and
Corruption 101 > Power Issues

IC Chips (CPU, RAM, NB ect) on the open market span from pristine chips capable of far more than they are rated,
to chips with latent defects, just mild enough to allow them to pass the quality test
the vast majority fall in the middle, but you dont really know until you push it
(the proverbial golden chip with the record overclock or a dog that will barely overclock even at low temperatures)
so stating that X voltage will not kill it within a certain time span
has to be changed to probably not, probabilities are all that can be offered ;)

letting the voltage or the temperature get out of hand can
turn a record setter into a run of the mill
and a run of the mill into a dog
and a dog into a keychain ;)

I feel like a foreign exchange student :confused: but yea whatever Master Ice Czar said

You dont have to worry about CPU life span. We never use chips for their max-life anyway. If my chip lasts 2-4 years... hoorah hoorah :D

Ben-mod said:
You dont have to worry about CPU life span. We never use chips for their max-life anyway. If my chip lasts 2-4 years... hoorah hoorah :D
thats all i want out of my cpu :)

Back