2nd comments on BenQ FP231W 23" wide-screen 16ms LCD

Armpit

Gawd
Ok, here're some more general comments about the BenQ and some screen caps that I posted on ArsTechnica uber-LCD forum:

I've managed to exchange the monitor, look at 4 in total in 2 different stores. This one looked the best (i.e. I could not find any defective pixels but it doesn't mean it's perfect, we'll see), the other 3 had a range from about 7 to 10 or so. Most of them were very hard to see and were tiny, but none had 20+ like the first one I got. I had to use Powerstrip to reduce the DVI frequency to 59Hz otherwise I was getting lines and dots and I think the monitor was also switching to analog mode, though I'm not sure ('cuz artifacts would appear at bootup screen would go dark and no artifacts, but picture wasn't as crisp). I still don't like the controls on the left side wall, with no labels it makes it hard to know what's pressed.

Here are some more general comments about the monitor:

-- The stand is height adjustable but does not swivel to portrait view like the HP.

-- Brightness AND contrast are adjustable even when using DVI mode.

-- Autoadjust seems to work well, even better than on my Dell 2001FP (which jamex now has, I hope you like it! ;))

-- On-screen display allows to adjust to scale 1:1 or aspect (to maintain aspect ratio) so you don't get the stretching but rather a black border. Generally scaling seems good but too early to comment.

-- Comes with a powerbrick that is heavier than Dell's but has no annoying LED on it. Other accessories included are USB cable, VGA cable, DVI cable, and uhhhhh.... that's about it. Comes with drivers for a USB webcam but no webcam is included, has a mount on top for installation of it though. Manual is mainly on the CD with just some brief quick setup guide, like Dell. Packaging is very similar to Dell's, comes in 2 pieces (stand and monitor separate), and there are no cables pre-attached (yay!)

-- Screen is very bright, currently reduced to 17 from default of 90!

-- Overall build quality is excellent, although the first one I had the power button wouldn't always work (maybe it was a dud overall).

-- Did I say I didn't like the buttons on the side?

-- Screendoor effect does not appear to be there, I tried to take another picture to show:

nodoor.jpg

And for your enjoyment here are a couple of shots from Homeworld 2 and Far Cry running at 1920x1200 resolution:

homeworld1.jpg

homeworld2.jpg

farcry1.jpg

farcry2.jpg

And the obligatory desktop shot:

desktop.jpg

i recognize you from ars.

anyhow, nice. but the digicam shots seems to distort the monitor into a bizarre oblong shape.

for the price of the benq though, i would prefer to go with the samsung 243t.

welcomerain said:
i recognize you from ars.

anyhow, nice. but the digicam shots seems to distort the monitor into a bizarre oblong shape.

The Samsung is nice but not for gaming applications, just too slow. Also the Samsung 243T is a lot more expensive in Canada than the Benq ($3800+) and not available in stores.

Pwnisher said:
Thats a nice looking LCD, makes me second guess my 2001FP purchase now...

The only problem with that is the price. The Benq 23" monitor is well over twice what the 2001FP costs.

Kirk

Back