MX700 painting :), Mouse done, base next (pics)

STRESSTEST

2[H]4U
So those of you that have actually put some wear and tear on your MX500, 700, 900, know that the silver paint on the top insert starts to get pretty shitty looking. Today I finished the paint on the mouse, and the base will be done tomorrow.

Paint used was the Metalicast anodize paint in red with the base coat paint they make as well. The color is a blood-red to the eye, but you can only see that in the 4th pic. Digital cameras, ya know ;)

The "logitech" aluminum medalion was removed and bondo was used to fill in the dimple. I'll do the same to the base as well, hate how the paint flakes off it it, so they are removed.

MX700_1.JPG
MX700_2.JPG

MX700_3.JPG
MX700_4.JPG

There are two screws on the bottom to take the thing apart, 1 is in the battery compartment. Then on the top cover there are small silver screws, about 7 of them, that will take the black center section off and the silver insert from the rest of the shell

Very nice paintjob dude.(What else can I say?)

I agree with you that this gray part of the mouse sucks fin term of wear resistance. Look on that picture, I highlighted a shitty part (the soft pad in the base causes that black spot):
Clipboard01.jpg

Mine also does that and it's so ugly... I'll have to paint it as you did. BTW I like the color you chose. Could you tell us what exact color it is?

That is sharp looking! I may have to think about doing that someday, I have the same wear marks on mine.

Very nice work. I love the color combination! I painted my Intellimouse a week or so ago, and used rustoleum "Hard Hat" industrial spray paint. It took 4 days to dry, but that is some damn tough paint! You cant scratch it! :D

asfd said:
Very nice paintjob dude.(What else can I say?)

BTW I like the color you chose. Could you tell us what exact color it is?

I told you above :) but here's a pic of the primer base and red top coat used

mx700_5.jpg

I looked on duplicolor's site and just saw that they don't have many colors in their metalcast product line so I guess yours is the only red. Anyway, once agin, nice paint!

Once dried, I'll do some 800~1000 grit sanding on the base coat, add another base coat, then we'll be talking red paint in the morning :p

Thats it for tonight

mx700_8.jpg
mx700_9.jpg

looks good.

my mx700's silver is onyl wearing off on the right mouse button. big black mark where my middle finger rests when i hold the mouse.

i should try soemthing like this...

Awesome job it looks flawless. Also i like ho you got rid of the logitech logo. It looks like it was never there in the first place. Great job over all, maybe ill do mine now it is getting warn.

that base is looking sweet as well.. god i wish i knew how to do that stuff, like, i guess you sand it down first, then how do you get the sand dust off of it? wash it off with water or something?! then lay one coat of primer or more? then after that dries how many coats of the red paint, any more sanding after that dries??! ahhhhhh!!!!! I give up :(

Is it me or does it look like there is an orange/gold tint to it? Could just be the lighting. Looks HOT.

Is that Metallicast hard to work with? How durable is it? Tips, ideas using it?

Keep up the good work!

looks like body filler/bondo...generally used to fill in holes on cars, but many modders use it to fill in holes or other things they do not want :)

thats awesome man, nice work. i really want to do my MX700 but its still new. As soon as it starts looking like crap though.... im gonna paint it for sure. thanks for sharing!

Nice work, on my MX700 the buttons near the mousewheel and the spot by your wrist are whats wearing off on mine. Maybe I should paint both, hehe.

mines been wearing a good deal... it would be sweet to make it look like an MX510.

Okay. So I decided at the last minute to paint the connect button on the base to match... Now I have to do the side buttons on the mouse to match... grr.. Anyway, you know how it will look, so this is the last of the pics. Hope you enjoyed :)

And if I didn't answer your questions about filler and paint etc. it was because I already covered it in the initial post, just read it

boardsportsrule:
The paint seems pretty tough once cured. I'll go without the clear for now

Th3KrawL3R:
I used an Exacto blade to carefully get the medalions off.

MX700_11.JPG
MX700_12.JPG
MX700_13.JPG

MX700_14.JPG

What was wrong with the silver?

And good decision to paint the buttons. The minor silver doesn't go well with primarily red and black.

GJSNeptune said:
What was wrong with the silver?

And good decision to paint the buttons. The minor silver doesn't go well with primarily red and black.
did you read the post?

Yeah, I read the first half of the first page the other day. I missed the middle half and didn't feel like catching up :p

Back