HTPC concerns

MaxPower

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to build a HTPC on the cheap. I don't want to spend much more than $300. I have a few questions about the setup i may get.

Sory for the list:

1) Will a 1.8GHz Applebred Duron be enough CPU to be able to encode 1 stream and watch a live stream at the same time? I will probablly be using Mpeg4 as my codec.

2) Is 256MB Ram enough to run both the MythTV frontend and backend on the same machine?

3) Is the VIA KM400 chipset a good choice. I won't be using it for anything else other than a PVR.

4) What the lowest wattage power supply that i can use? here are the specs:

1.8GHz Applebred Duron
PCchips VIA KM400 Flex atx MB
256 MB PC2100
80 GB 7200rpm HD
GF2mx
16x DVD

1) Maybe, it depends on the card you will be using.
2) I believe so, last time I ran Linux 256 was more then fine with several Apps open (gimp, XMMS, and few other that I can't remember) I do know that for XP 512 is needed but I think that doesn't help you ;) LOL
3) I've mostly seen Nforce2 boards used with Myth, a guy I know uses only them for his myth setups.
4) Can't go wrong with a 300w

im running a windows installation with 192 and its just peachy. I wouldnt know how id hold up to encoding at the same time though, but then again, its a celeron 667

I'm gonna be using an old avermedia card i have, so it's gonna be software encoding. I've read on the Mythtv website that a Athlon 1800+ can encode 1 stream while watching live tv. So i thought that maybe an Applebred Duron which is roughly 250MHz faster might be able to as well.

Maybe but I think you might have to turn down the quality to give a smoother playback...maybe. I'm leaning towards yes but with some PQ trade offs (maybe if you double your memory?)
You might also want to look at Hauppanges MVP which is a sort of set top box, I've been hearing about others using Myth with it and it's pretty cheap (like $89).
http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=mediamvp1

the duron might be faster mhz-wise but it also has less cache and such. As for ram, I'd say if you were using a hardware card your ram would be perfect, but I'm not entirely sure if software encoding is a ram-intensive process (you have the CPU power). If I were to take a guess, I'd say your system will be fine encoding and watching live TV at the same time, worst comes to worst you will definitely be able to do one at a time, or possible just drop the settings down a tad to be able to do both.

I am building a system for about $300 as well. My choice of parts:

Shuttle mobo (newegg - $30)
ATI E-Home Wonder (newegg - $73)
ATI 9200SE (newegg - $41)
Duron 850 (AT FS forums - $20)
IBM 60GB HDD (AT FS forums - $45)
Inwin Black Micro-atx desktop case (newegg - $39)
256 MB Kingston ValueRam (newegg - $32)
Samsung 52-32-52 CDRW (newegg - $27)
Windows 2000 - already have
myhtpc and GotTv - free

The case will have a 180W power supply.

wyvrn, You don't want a 9200SE, the tv out sucks. Look for a good GF4 MX or a 9600np.

well i guess there's no point in saying it if you already have the parts, but as CrimandEvil says, go for a card with better tv-out (the 5200FX is also supposed to have very good quality, maybe only a tiny bit better than a GF4MX). Also, why not spend 20 or so dollars more and get a far better cpu? Of course you're not gonna need a powerhouse for hardware encoding, but for such a tiny amount more you'd get an incredible speed increase over that duron. Also, you could probably get a better deal on the hard drive locally (provided you dont have a particular aversion to mail in rebates). Right now a decent deal is generally $.50/gig, and a deal like that pops up every 2 or 3 weeks. Of course if you already bought the stuff it doesnt matter at this point, but you'd be able to get a lot more bang for only a tiny bit more buck. Also power might be a concern if you choose to add a second or third hard drive, so might as well grab a bigger one to begin with.

Ok well it looks like I'll grab a GF4 card instead, though I heard the 9200 cards had good TV out ( I think I also read it in one of the links in the Stuff thread also). I will look around for one of those hdd deals you mentioned. And for $8 more I decided to use Samsung PC3200 instead of the Kingston ram.

As far as the rest of the system, I have plenty of money to spend but the point was to build a lean box. Rest of me money is going towards a nice gaming rig, projector and other equipment for my upcoming media room project :)

Yes the 9200 cards have good Tv out but the SE version does not due to using cheap parts to get a low price. If fact neither does a 9600SE, not sure about a 9800SE but I'd avoid any ATI card with SE in the title like the plague.

i guess you could still always upgrade later, but the cheapest and most effective upgrade would probably be spending roughly 30 dollars more on the processor for a XP2000+, or 60 dollars more for a Barton 2500+.

CrimandEvil said:
Yes the 9200 cards have good Tv out but the SE version does not due to using cheap parts to get a low price. If fact neither does a 9600SE, not sure about a 9800SE but I'd avoid any ATI card with SE in the title like the plague.

9800SE is the same as a 9800 or 9800 pro, just with a downclocked core. they should be fine.

Back