wELL GUYS WISH ME LUCK fX-53/Asus 939 setup putting it together right now!

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Yep parts from newegg showed up FX-53, Asus 939 mobo, and i got some 1 gig of Mushkin 2/2/2 Ram, too bad my 800XT still hadnt showed up, but the 9800XT is gonna have to do, gonna post some scrennies tonight in a couple of hours hopefully and some new 3dmark loops, Wish me luck hehe.

Good luck, just put mine in tonight.. specs in Sig. This processor is incredibly fast. I am so glad I went AMD instead of an Intel 3.4C or E.

Thats sexyer than Jenna, and cheaper too! :) "Bang for the buck" if you look at it that way...

not a bad way to spend a large chunck of change...

Well im UP! but the mobo doenst like my Mushkin ram, its rated ddr 400 2/2/2/6, i had to pull my Corsair XMS 3500 out of my A64 3000 setup, gonna update windows and give the ram another shot if its still foobarred im gonna just buty a gig of XMS tomorrow, ill post pics once im up.

There are many reasons not to be an early adopter. But trying to discourage you would be like trying to kill a bear with a cardboard box. Futile.

Well i cranked the Vdimm voltage to 2.7 and the system is fine with the Mushkin, it is rated upto 2.8 volts so if its stable im gonna try this ram, i can always RMA, well its off to the races, 3dmark01, and 03 are installed and im ready to blow this machine up LOL!

Impressive overclock for air. Can't wait to see what my vapo will do. *starts to shake* :p

It posts at 2720 Mhz but havnt been able to run a 3dmark fully at that, i think im gonna dump the Mushkin and go back to Corsair, for some reason in sandra my memory scores are crap with the Mushkin, bandwith is olny showning up around 5178 Mbs, versus 6005 Mbs with the corsair, off to the store today i got 2 hours of sleep and gotta go into work, but after that its back to Overclocking.

Marcdaddy said:
It posts at 2720 Mhz but havnt been able to run a 3dmark fully at that, i think im gonna dump the Mushkin and go back to Corsair, for some reason in sandra my memory scores are crap with the Mushkin, bandwith is olny showning up around 5178 Mbs, versus 6005 Mbs with the corsair, off to the store today i got 2 hours of sleep and gotta go into work, but after that its back to Overclocking.

That's sweet. Are you pushing the multiplier or the FSB? What kind of voltage are you running through the chip?

Im pushing the multiplier, cause the mushkin Ram, which is rated 2/2/2/6 is causing all kinds of problems, the XMS is doing better but i gotta go buy a matched pair, cause i olny got 1 stick. The voltage is at 1.65 temps are at 111 degress idle, 120 full load.

Im getting ready to order my FX-53, ASUS A8V, Dual 74G Raptors, from NewEgg, but I don't know which power supply and memory would be the best with this setup. Could you guys that have the FX-53 & A8V let me know what power supply and memory I should get? Also, I am ordering the Retail FX-53 but should I use the stock fan & heatsink or should I buy a different one? I am not going to overclock that much. Maybe just a little. :)

Thanks,
S@ndman

I'd rather volt-mod and give the Mushkin up to 3.4vdimm (after that it's really dangerous for the CPU, but the ram likes to have up to 3.6vdimm. You can go to up to 4.3vdimm for benching, but that would fry the CPU's memory controller). At about 3.3vdimm the Mushkin ram (which is BH-6, by the way) can do 2-2-2-6 at 250MHz. The CorsairXL will never ever do that. I don't beleive the board you're working with has a bus lock, so there is no point in raising the FSB; it will only cause video card to crap out (if it's ATi) and data corruption on your hard drives. And that's a good reason not to adopt s939 this soon; no locks on any boards for a while. And immature drivers.. etx

M4d-K10wN said:
I'd rather volt-mod and give the Mushkin up to 3.4vdimm (after that it's really dangerous for the CPU, but the ram likes to have up to 3.6vdimm. You can go to up to 4.3vdimm for benching, but that would fry the CPU's memory controller). At about 3.3vdimm the Mushkin ram (which is BH-6, by the way) can do 2-2-2-6 at 250MHz. The CorsairXL will never ever do that. I don't beleive the board you're working with has a bus lock, so there is no point in raising the FSB; it will only cause video card to crap out (if it's ATi) and data corruption on your hard drives. And that's a good reason not to adopt s939 this soon; no locks on any boards for a while. And immature drivers.. etx

Try again. Both the VIA K8T800Pro and NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb Ultra have settings to lock the PCI/AGP bus at spec while scaling the Front Side Bus.

crap, i was gonna say that it might require registered memory, but just found out socket 939 doesn't need it.

misfitsfiend said:
i don't know if the fx-53 is the same way as the fx-51, but from what i understand, the fx-51 requires "registered" memory. maybe that memory isn't stable because the mushkin isn't registered? i'm not sure if the fx-53 requires it too, though.

You do not have to have registered memory with the new Socket 939 motherboards. That is one of the big advantages.

S@ndman

Yes, but neither of the two available s939 motherboards can lock the buses. nF3 250 or 250Gb can't be used in a s939 board, AFAIK. And K800T Pro chipset is a major screwup. Only 20% of shipped chipsets can function asynchronously. VIA still has no idea why the rest don't.

sandman78 said:
Im getting ready to order my FX-53, ASUS A8V, Dual 74G Raptors, from NewEgg, but I don't know which power supply and memory would be the best with this setup. Could you guys that have the FX-53 & A8V let me know what power supply and memory I should get? Also, I am ordering the Retail FX-53 but should I use the stock fan & heatsink or should I buy a different one? I am not going to overclock that much. Maybe just a little. :)

Thanks,
S@ndman

I recommend Allied Powersupply and Corsair memory ;)

Edit: would like to add that no matter what PSU you get... just make sure and check the amps it puts out. Watts dont mean jack when the PSU does not put out enough amps to the 5v and 12v .

Allied makes some the best PSU and if you compare the amps their PSU puts out to others you will see what I'm talking about ;)

Well it's good to see someone who has taken the 939 plunge and reporting back how it's working out for them. Any info is always welcome. I personally couldn't convince myself to drop that amount of cash on the first run stuff seeing all of the reports about it and their issues. Hopefully some of that has already been worked out. Good luck and keep passing any useable information our way.

Also when the x800XT shows up it should make a difference you'll notice.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7918788

Power Supplies. If you're going to drop that kind of cash on a serious rig why even consider going a "cheaper" route on one of the more critical parts. Get an Antec 480 or 550 and be done with it.

CIWS said:
Power Supplies. If you're going to drop that kind of cash on a serious rig why even consider going a "cheaper" route on one of the more critical parts. Get an Antec 480 or 550 and be done with it.

Antec 480W Power Supply $85
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...14-14.JPG/17-103-914-10.jpg/17-103-914-12.JPG

Allied 500W Power Supply AL-B500E w/ Two Fans Aluminum $71
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...15-04.JPG/17-154-015-08.jpg/17-154-015-07.JPG

The screenshots show the amps these two psu put out to the 3.3v, 5v and 12v
I personally like having 50amps for my 5v when im im running 5-8 harddrives and 2 DVDRW drives. My Allied has never gave me a problem and everyone I recommended it to have liked them and had no problems with them. And www.pcnut.com only guarantee stability with their overclocking combo kits that they sell if you use a Allied PSU ;)

For the money you get more amps which is most important and even a few more watts and its $14 cheaper.
Alot people dont understand that amps drop when the pc is underload/stressed and when overclocking and low amps on the 12v and 5v can effect stability. a cheap and weak PSU will not maintain amps and this is when you get problems. I have sat and watched the 5v drop and watched the harddrives disappear in windows my computer and reappear when the 5v amps went back up. A psu that is not made good will end up burning out from being under load from trying to maintain amps...

Antec
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-914&depa=0
5v = 38amps
3.3v = 30amps
12v = 22amps

Allied
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-154-015&depa=0
5v = 52amps
3.3v = 28amps
12v = 20amps

FYI the Antec 550W only puts out 40amps on the 5v

I will stick with my Allied :D

:( really a shame pcnut is out of business

More scores coming, i finally got the Mushkin ram to work a litttle better, i had to manuelly put the timings in because my memory scores in sandra were low , after 3 hours of that i finally got my memory scores where they should be in sandra 6081 MBs, so now im loading on 3dmark 03 and gonna post those results within the hour :)

M4d-K10wN said:
Yes, but neither of the two available s939 motherboards can lock the buses. nF3 250 or 250Gb can't be used in a s939 board, AFAIK. And K800T Pro chipset is a major screwup. Only 20% of shipped chipsets can function asynchronously. VIA still has no idea why the rest don't.

have you read this thread?....and marcdaddy, have you updated to the bios in this thread? http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36526

there's the 1005.020 and 1005.021 (there some where in the thread)...it's reported that they really help oc'ing/stability with FX's and both add the option of agp/pci locks that seem to be working for people in that thread - my locks work as well.

But those bios's didn't help my board too much...with my 3800+ i'm perfectly stable at 2.62ghz (12x218) but anything higher and it's unstable...even 219. It's either the board or my ram because i heard some boards don't like running 1gb of ram (i'm thinking board). I can't wait for the nforce3-250 boards especially DFI's...i'm hoping i'll get a better oc with those boards.

conscript said:
I'm curious, why no 2003 scores?

and why run 2003?? 2003 is almost all video card dependent...it's not even worth it to run it until he gets his x800xt in.

NEVERLIFT said:
For the money you get more amps which is most important and even a few more watts and its $14 cheaper.
Alot people dont understand that amps drop when the pc is underload/stressed and when overclocking and low amps on the 12v and 5v can effect stability. a cheap and weak PSU will not maintain amps and this is when you get problems. I have sat and watched the 5v drop and watched the harddrives disappear in windows my computer and reappear when the 5v amps went back up. A psu that is not made good will end up burning out from being under load from trying to maintain amps...
wow, somehow i feel that you are so terribly misinformed, it's not even funny. amperage does not 'drop'. the number the psu mfg's put on there is the max it can put out without causing damage over a period of time. more often than not, as the computer draws more amps, the voltage decreases, and this leads to instability.

i've had some shitty psu's in my day, and i've never seen that happen. as a general rule of thumb, hard disks draw 5v and 12v power. if the voltage on your 5v rail is that low that you're seeing hd's dissapear from windows, your computer wouldn't be on anymore, just because of the sheer power that the cpu draws in comparison.

i have sitting next to me a old hard drive from the pentium 2 days, it takes 320mA @ 5v and 260mA @ 12v... my barton 2500+ runs at about 70 watts of maxiumum thermal dissipation. because it's not a perfect heat converter, the actual wattage is higher than that.. probably between 25-40% higher. with conservative estimates that makes 87.5 watts, which is 53A at 1.65 volts. that;'s with no overclocking at all. compare 53A to .32 or .26A... most perhipherals are insignificant as far as power draw goes compared to cpu's and gpu's (as a side note, the 6800 draws something like 130 watts iirc)

now, let's do some oc'ing just to play with numbers more....
say i put my barton to 2.4ghz and 1.85v. according to most accepted forms of calculating power, i now have a wee chip that is putting out 112 watts of heat. that makes for about 140-150 watts of actual power draw. at 1.85v, that is a wopping 78A! think again if you have hard disks failing, but your computer is still stable enough to show that it's happening.

(cf)Eclipse said:
wow, somehow i feel that you are so terribly misinformed, it's not even funny. amperage does not 'drop'. the number the psu mfg's put on there is the max it can put out without causing damage over a period of time. more often than not, as the computer draws more amps, the voltage decreases, and this leads to instability.

i've had some shitty psu's in my day, and i've never seen that happen. as a general rule of thumb, hard disks draw 5v and 12v power. if the voltage on your 5v rail is that low that you're seeing hd's dissapear from windows, your computer wouldn't be on anymore, just because of the sheer power that the cpu draws in comparison.

i have sitting next to me a old hard drive from the pentium 2 days, it takes 320mA @ 5v and 260mA @ 12v... my barton 2500+ runs at about 70 watts of maxiumum thermal dissipation. because it's not a perfect heat converter, the actual wattage is higher than that.. probably between 25-40% higher. with conservative estimates that makes 87.5 watts, which is 53A at 1.65 volts. that;'s with no overclocking at all. compare 53A to .32 or .26A... most perhipherals are insignificant as far as power draw goes compared to cpu's and gpu's (as a side note, the 6800 draws something like 130 watts iirc)

now, let's do some oc'ing just to play with numbers more....
say i put my barton to 2.4ghz and 1.85v. according to most accepted forms of calculating power, i now have a wee chip that is putting out 112 watts of heat. that makes for about 140-150 watts of actual power draw. at 1.85v, that is a wopping 78A! think again if you have hard disks failing, but your computer is still stable enough to show that it's happening.

I may have stated it wrong... but the fact of the matter is low amps will = low volts to the rails and to prove this monitor yours rails while benchmarking your pc.

I have sat and monitored my 5v rail while stress testing the pc and watched the drive disappear and reappear in windows as the volts dropped to around 4.6v on the 5v.

And amps matters more than watts. I would rather have a 350watt psu for example that puts out alot amps than a cheap psu thats rated at 400watt and low amps ;)

But you do what you like bro.

Hey Marcdaddy are you like related to Trump or something? :eek:

Hey Wildace I really like your specs ;)

Dyslexic said:
Hey Marcdaddy are you like related to Trump or something? :eek:

Hey Wildace I really like your specs ;)

Hey gimmie back my CPU, MB, and my Ram... thx much :p

Grabbing the Beta Bios as we speak gonna flash and play around with the lock, then i can turn this mother out, 800XT card is supposed to ship to me today.

Back