WOOT scored some awesome hardware! (big images)

LadyJaqie

I Have No Title
im soooo tired, but Ive scored some awesome hardware and I just GOTTA talk a bit about it before I crash...

stack-1-small.jpg
stack-3-small.jpg

stack-2-small.jpg

stack-4-small.jpg
stack-5-small.jpg

Enlight 5u server cases x2

pm2865u3-terminators-small.jpg

PM2865U3 hardware SCSI RAID controller with 64MB SODIMM installed

drives.jpg

10x ST39175LC 9.1GB 7200 RPM seagates, 5x new 5x refurb (2 total may be dead)

imma put my current system into this case, run the SCSI in hardware
raid 5 (notice the 2x SCA racks?), put an old mobo into the 2nd
(rackmount) case (the top one) and run my 120GB WD in it
as a file server, and just enjoy my extremely good fortune and EXTREMELY
good friend thats selling all this to me for $250! :eek: :eek: :D :cool:

good god man.. errr woman

that case is HUGE! is it all one?, lookes like 2 from behind. and it screams PAINT ME!

I am woman hear me roar!

two of the same case one ready for rackmount the other standalone.

I plan on painting the standalone black and making a custom face for it.

what is that... 64 bit pci raid card. with processor and 2 sodimm slots... what brand.. specs? or is that isa, i can tell from the pics. looks too new to be isa though

~edit~ (removed out of date info)

awwaight im crashin. night. ill answer any questions when I get up, which looks like itll be about 1 or 2pm local time :p

FreiDOg said:
nice score.
Any modding plans on the cases yet?
yes. water cooling, making a custom faceplace for one, painting one...window too.
ive not thought up more yet but I will.
Bad_Boy said:
gezus, nice grab!!!! :eek:
ty hehe I thought so. :D
dandragonrage said:
You can afford that but not like $8/yr for a domain? :D www.gkg.net
Looks sweet!
actually, I was using that free place to host the name on my dynamic IP cable connection, but im moving soon so a friend is hosting it on his box for a while. Also, my D link router supports www.dyndns.org directly, so Im using it. Another reason is I cant even get a savings account right now, long story as to why.
yah I think this was a real sweet grab, too good to pass up.

and he's letting me make payments on it AFTER he ships it :) couldnt have afforded if it wasnt.

im on disability. :(

We've been friends for years, already did financial deals with eachother, so he knows im good for the cash if i say I am.

damn, w00t++

but just out of curiosity, what is RAID5 ? i know what RAID is, and what RAID 0 and RAID 1 are, but 5? (sry for the nublar question...).

edited orig posts to show smaller more bandwidth friendly images, also added in some linky's.

jaqie said:
...what makes you say that? I dont understand...

It was a statement of indearment. It means we share an obession for hardware that those who dont frequent a forum like this would not understand. It was a facetious statement that acknowledges your memborship in "the brotherhood"

"Your one of the guys" GET it ;)

Like everyone else said, awsome find.

I wish i had a friend like that ^_^. As with what someone said, i also thought it was just one big computer at first!

Oh the modding potential !!!! and the bottom one has WHEELES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, that's just the ultimate server case.

great find!

towert7 said:
. . . . Oh the modding potential !!!! and the bottom one has WHEELES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, that's just the ultimate server case . . . .
Yes, that's why Ive been really REALLY wanting one ever since I built a brand new 2x s370 P3 server in one for a company.

the way I look at it is, if they were faster I prolly wouldnt have gotten them... or at the very least had to pay more.

Imma eventually replace em all with 15ooo RPM cheetahs. make a SAN, and run fibre to a workstation.

Need any 1.06Gbps fiber cards or cable? :D Hell, you can have some fiber cable for free if you wanna pay the s/h, I have a whole bunch sitting in my back room....

dandragonrage said:
Need any 1.06Gbps fiber cards or cable? :D Hell, you can have some fiber cable for free if you wanna pay the s/h, I have a whole bunch sitting in my back room....
tempting. very tempting. the SCSI card can have a fibre module put on it... I want the most direct - to - drive I can get for fastest data transfer...
however, as I said above, I am on a very limited income, and THIS was much more then I could really afford.

Can you use any JNI FCIN-1063-EMC cards? I'm not sure about driver support or anything for them. I got a few free from work. They were used for SAN, actually...

seems they are proprietary... not even PCI...

1Gb, 25MHz, 64-bit, Single Port SBus-to-Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapters

The JNI FibreStar SBus-to-Fibre Channel host bus adapters are designed for enabling high-speed data transfers between SBus-based servers and a Fibre Channel link.

Ive never even HEARD of S bus before

EDIT, nobody has PC drivers for them. they are sun only. I have no use for them.

I searched every nook and cranny I know for drivers. I know places a lot of people don't that have drivers for nearly everything. company is listed nowhere. heck the place I know even has drivers for always technology products! remember them?

I just did some looking on my own. As I mentioned in my FS thread (which I did not link here), it is based on the HP Tachyon HPFC-5000C/3.0, AKA "Classic Tachyon," which seems to have network drivers in Linux (drivers/net/fc), but that is possibly only for Interphase cards. The chip itself is not PCI, so I read, which explains this AMCC chip as a PCI bridge. It's a "PCI Matchmaker." The Tachyon itself can function as SCSI or network. Of course, since there are drivers for Solaris, they either exist on Linux or they can be ported. Hell, maybe I will throw one in my Gentoo box tomorrow and see if lspci -n will give me any info on it.... If so, I'll throw in a second and try making a simple loop to see if any data will go through with the fc driver..

Geez, why didn't I look up the damn chip on it before? If I hadn't already mentioned I knew like nothing about this card, people might think I knew about it :D

nice. well, if theyhad FreeBSD and win2000 drivers I would want them. those are the only OSes I even run.

eh, I dunno, I'll report back though. I'm more saying this stuff on a tangent because I'm bored and don't feel like going to bed right now :D

Back